1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Voting for the devil you know...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Jaguar, May 26, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

[​IMG] Well, the first election since I am officially old enough to vote is coming soon. In high school, we learned all about voting, policies, and what to look for in the people we vote for.

So how come I find myself asking the question "Who sucks the least?"?

I don't know how the political systems work elsewhere, but in Canada, the candidates just seem to make impossible promises to get in, and once they are in, they spend tax money on making idiotic excuses to why they cannot keep them.

I watch some TV from the States, and I see the funniest commercials ever. It goes through telling about how a certain political candidate has done this that was wrong and how they did that which was wrong, and it ends with a quick flash saying it was made by the opposing candidate's party. And people are supposed to vote on that?

What I would really like to see is an honest person run for office on an honest podium, get into office without smashing his opponents, and still uphold his promises and run the country above ground for once.

More then likely, I'll end up throwing my vote away to some young party with ideals that I know will never make it off the ground. Sure, I'll lose my vote, but at least its for integrity.

/end rant

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I vote in accordance with my conscience, which means I don't vote. I will never vote the commies, there's blood between us. I can't vote the foremost right because they are scary and some of them get along surprisingly well with the foremost left. The centre is filled with invertebrates and the moderate right is, yeah, made of Trade Union people who can't do anything right in politics.

I'll probably have to take over soon or something...

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jaguar, try to get a hold of the different parties programs and/or try to see as many debates and speeches as possible. Then vote for the one which closest resembleces your own opinion on the most things. This will probably land you with someone you really dont feel like voting for but atleast they should be better for you than all the rest. It isnt east but under no circumstances should you chicken out and not vote. Voting is essential for our western democracies. If worst comes to worst and you cannot in good conscience vote on anyone then vote but vote blank.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, the title of the thread best sums up my approach. If the party in power hasn't screwed up too badly, and if I don't think anyone else could do better, then I'll usually stick with them.

My problem in this election is that I don't really trust the Liberals anymore. Up until the sponsorship scandal, I would have probably gone with them, but I don't believe for a minute that the former finance minister was unaware of what was going on with the sponsorship program. Plus Martin just seems like such a phony.

But if not the Liberals, then who? I used to vote PC, but I really don't know if the new Conservative party is ready to lead the country, and there's just something about Harper that bothers me, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Ironically, even though I doubt I would ever vote for them, I think the NDP (our more-or-less left wing party, for those outside of Canada) is the most honest and sincere. However, like the Conservatives, I again have serious doubts about their ability to lead. Plus, I really don't feel like having my taxes double to pay for all the social programs they would undoubtedly want to put in place (although, in fairness, in Manitoba, we have an NDP government, and they are actually being more or less fiscally responsible). I also doubt the domestic and international financial markets would react well if the NDP got in.

As joacqin says, your best bet is to find the party whose policies are most in line with yours, and vote accordingly.

I wonder if the Rhinoceros Party is still around?

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Jaguar - I almost always vote. In my country it is a virtue and a matter of civic pride. Every American knows that the generations before have given their blood on the field of battle to give us that right. Nevertheless, there are many who don't vote. IMO, that is why the political choices are so poor. If more Americans voted and took it upon themselves to study the issues, see how present candidates have voted, and research the party platforms, then I believe that the leadership of all parties would be much better. Certainly, they would be more responsive to the voters and not so much the captives of special interests. Voter apathy is what the hacks and amateurs count on to stay in power.

Get to know your local politicians, the ones down the street. Write them on important issues or call their offices and talk with their lackeys. Let them know how you feel about the issues. They will often answer your letters, or when you call, they will listen to what you say if you are not caustic or abusive. Join an action group with the same politcal concerns as you have (hint - like moveon.org). Don't ever forget that it's YOUR country too.

Also, remember that at times the majority of your countrymen may not agree with you, and vote for the party that you don't agree with. Don't let that keep you from participating in the system. It's almost as satisfying being in the opposition group as it is being the ones in power and having to take the political heat for the bad times.

All this rant may sound very preachy, but in the end a country gets the leadership that it deserves, IMO.

6. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

As a Canadian, I know the choices that you have. And to be honest, I don't trust them with their empty promises of better health care or cutting taxes.

As a student, I know which party is best for me, but I know that for the country, it will be a disaster. So my vote usually ends up as a protest vote, because I know that the party I vote for will never make it federally.

And no, it's not the Marijuana Party of Canada. :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.