1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vice Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Spellbound, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well... the debate isn't over yet, but I got so antsy I had to post here. It seems to me that Edwards was doing quite well, UNTIL Cheney attacked him on his Senate attendance record, specifically the Judicial Committee (32 out of 34 or so absences). Edwards looked visibly shaken and his initial response was simply to open his mouth and shut it -- you could hear a pin drop in that audience. When he did speak, instead of defending himself, he attacked Cheney on his voting record -- total mismatch of issues and clearly a "covering" tactic. It seemed to me that it took Edwards quite a few questions to recover and so far, I see it as a major turning point in the debate. I'm a HUGE Edwards supporter, so this just made me grimace and shake my head. I thought he was better at thinking on his feet and firing short bursts when needed -- not spraying the bushes, hoping he'll make a hit. :/

Back to the debate......

2. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yeah, that was a vicious hit...but long-term, I think Edwards will take more damage from Cheney's repeated claim that Edwards was "demeaning" the Iraqi security forces for not deigning to include them in the casualty count. Edwards didn't have a good response either time that Cheney attacked him with that.

The only time Cheney looked ruffled came from the two questions about homosexual marriage. The rest of the evening he was systematic, centered, calm, and ruthlessly on-target.

I think Edwards did a fine job, and he did recover after the Senate-absence bit. But anyone would be hard-pressed to out-debate Cheney.

3. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

That was possibly the most boring debate I've ever seen! I sat there for over an hour and half waiting to see someone make an idiot of themself... but it never happened! (Why couldn't they deliver like Bush did last Thursday?)

I'm a Kerry/Edwards supporter, but I'd like to think of myself as an objective individual. Both made good points and both avoided any major disasters - I say it was a tie - and that is how the cable stations seem to be reporting it. CNN and MSNBC polls are showing that poll participants favor Edwards (who is hovering at around 70%). Even the right-wing outlet Fox News shows an Edwards lead of 56% to Cheney's 42%. Very strange. I felt Cheney did better than that.

Both Edwards and Cheney are guilty of continually using voting records as a means of putting down the other. "You voted against the troops," and the like. It is my understanding that these bills can be very complex with many 'riders' attached to them. And explaining why one votes for or against a bill may require a complicated explanation - an explanation that takes far more time than is allotted.

The only laugh was when Edwards pointed out that Cheney voted against 'meals on wheels'. Ha! It made him look like a heartless bastard.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it was fairly even. They both did amazingly well, and both were impressively well prepared. They both nailed each other an equal number of times I think. It'd be hard to pick a clear winner. However, Cheney did create a few good sound bites that certainly hurt Edwards, and those will probably be the ones circulated in the media more than Edward's jabs.

Regardless, I don't think this debate will effect the outcome either way. The next 2 debates will highlight the man we'll really be voting for, and there needed to be a clear, brutal victory of one of the contenders tonight to effect that in any significant way. If anything, this debate tonight proved that there are 3 men in this race who've been doing their homework - and Bush ain't one of them. The side effect of Cheney looking so prepared tonight is that Bush looks less like he's really the one wearing the pants.

edit - I'd just like to add 2 things. First, there couldn't be 2 more different people than Cheney and Edwards - that really speaks for itself. And second, that while I think tonight might have hurt Bush a little (and by little, I mean teansy tiny), I don't think it will hurt Kerry much at all. On to friday.

2nd EDIT: Remember when Cheney was getting all defensive about Halliburton and said "you can go to factcheck.com and check it out for yourself"...what he meant to say was the Annenburg foundation at factcheck.org.

G'head...type factcheck.com into your browser, and then listen for that loud, ear-shattering slapping sound off in the distance...the sound of Dick Cheney's palm meeting his forehead with enough force to split atoms.

DOH! :doh:

[ October 06, 2004, 06:54: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

5. Big Tank Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ROFL. Nice catch, DR!

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't think Edwards did poorly, necessarily--but Cheney's performance was much better, overall.

Which annoys me a great deal ;)

7. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

AMaster -- I agree. As much as I hate to admit it, Cheney won that debate, imo. He was collected, calculating and more or less unflappable, going for Edward's juglar quite successfully. Edwards came back a few times, but for the most part, was in defense mode for the entire second half of the debate.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm hard pressed to pick a winner. However, as Death Rabbit point out, I doubt it will have any impact - positively or negatively - on either canidate. Not only do the vice-presidential debates have far fewer viewers than the presidential ones, the vice-presidential debate was further handicapped by going head-to-head with the first day of the MLB playoffs. I'm sure most Yankees fans (which seems like about 1/2 the country) were watching the game, and not the debate.

Anyway, Ankiseth, if you were waiting for someone to make a fool of themselves, I can think of no better option than this statement by Cheney:

"I have not suggested there's a connection between Iraq and 9/11"

Really, Mr. Vice-President? This I think, should come as a surprise to anyone who has been living outside a cave for the past two years.

9. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Whoa!! I didnt watch it, dont even think it's on TV over here, but that quote is SAYING, with the authority of the Vice President, that they invaded for no reason. WAsnt the idea that Iraq would give WMD to terrorists? Wasnt the idea that Hussein was in bed with Al - Quaeda? (sic) If it was just to get rid of WMD, then they should right now invade Norh Korea and Iran and I dont see that happening.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    IMO, Edwards won. He talked about the issues that were important to liberals and progressives: healthcare, education and jobs. Cheney didn't have a good answer on any of these issues, because they don't matter much to him. Here's the thing: these two guys really spoke to their political bases. If one is conservative, than Cheney probably looked strong; to progressives, Edwards spoke for issues that are ignored by some of the large media pundits.

As usual, Cheney was tough and nasty, and came across stronger, on the surface at least, on the war on terror and Iraq. But Edwards spoke much better to the domestic issues that a lot of Americans (not just progressives) have concerns about. For some of us, there's more than just Iraq.

[ October 06, 2004, 16:29: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was really surprised at what I saw as a big blunder on Edwards' part about the 90% casualties in Iraq being American.

I thought it was fine that he spun it that way when he first spoke about it, but after Cheney pointed out that that excludes the Iraqi casualties, I was surprised that Edwards tried to come back with pointing out that the 90% was for coalition casualties being American. I couldn't believe that he thought excluding the Iraqi casualties would win any points, but I guess he was more focused on trying not to appear deceiving like he accused Cheney of being. IMO, he should have let it go. Everyone knew the difference between Cheney's numbers and his; it was a bad idea to emphasize he was excluding the Iraqis IMO.

That was really the only "blunder" that stuck with me.

The other thing that stuck with me was Cheney pretty much avoiding the gay marriage topic, basically saying only that he supports the President, and declining to say anything in a rebuttal other than thanking Edwards for his kind words about Cheney's family. Obviously he doesn't agree with the Constitutional amendment.

I guess these two things stuck with me because they were surprising to me; the rest of the debate was pretty much as I expected.

From what I can remember (and I admit I haven't done in-depth research) Cheney didn't suggest a connection between Iraq and 9/11, other than to point out that Iraq was a supporter of terrorism, and that there were meetings between Iraqi intelligence and al Qaeda members (and I think I recall an accusation of a meeting of Iraqi intelligence with one of the 9/11 hijackers that was later dropped). As I recall the only connection suggested by Cheney was the terrorism connection, in that 9/11 was a terrorist act and that Iraq sponsored terrorism and harbored terrorists.

12. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

By the way, for those of us who missed the debate, does anyone have a link to see the whole thing somewhere? I did want to see it, but a combination of a school presentation due today and not remembering when it was made me miss it.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @BTA

But don't you think that saying a senior Iraqi Intelligence Officer is meeting with members of al Qaeda is in fact "suggesting" there is a connection between 9/11 and Iraq? He may never have come out and said, "Iraq is in league with al Qaeda" but he has certainly suggested it. Saying that a senior Iraqi official had contact with the group known to have committed the 9/11 attacks is directly associating the two, and is certainly suggesting a connection.

Here's some Cheney quotes I have come up with:

From Meet the Press - this was a long time ago, before the Iraq invasion even occurred, it was done on December 9, 2001.

I think this certainly meets the "suggests" criteria. If it didn't, he would not have mentioned the part about "before the attack".

Here's another from "Meet the Press" - this one comes from just before the invasion of Iraq, and is dated March 24, 2002.

Again, he didn't come out and say it, but given the contect it certainly is "suggested".

"Meet the Press" - on Sept. 8, 2002:

And this one goes beyond mere suggestion (it's Meet the Press again, although it wasn't specifically dated - it just was October 2003):

If this doesn't count as "suggesting" I don't know what does!

And finally, of you want something very recent, we'll take last night's debate. This is from MSNBC today:

I think this establishes suggestion. If Saddam Hussein, had "an established relationship with al Qaeda", then it is only reasonable to say that this suggests that Iraq had a connection to al Qaeda, and therefore the 9/11 attacks.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right, that was the guy: Attas.
    Well, maybe I'm an unusual person, but I'm far more critical than that. Saying that Iraqis met with al Qaeda, or even one of the hijackers doesn't tell me they supported or were behind 9/11; it only tells me they deal with terrorists.

Again, what this is telling me is that Iraq supports and harbors terrorists, and it is terrorists who perpetrated 9/11. This does not suggest (to me at least, but again, maybe I'm unusual) that Iraq was behind 9/11.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @BTA

Are you actually reading what you're typing?

Let's review from Cheney said last night:

Establishing a connection and assigning responsibility are two entirely different statements. If Cheney had said, "I have not stated that Iraq perpetrared the 9/11 attacks" then his statement would have been factually accurate. But to say he never suggested a connection between the two, I think is putting blinders on. Look, maybe you're unusual, or maybe I'm unusual, but if you can't see that Cheney suggested a connecetion between 9/11 and Iraq based on the quotes I listed, then I guess there is simply no way to convince you.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Hmmm. Well I guess it depends on what you mean by connection. To me it means there was some direct role between Iraq and 9/11, not some nebulous connection via support of terrorism. If the latter is the meaning, then there's a connection with lots of places and 9/11, not just Iraq.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    *sigh*

I will try once more the convince you, and I wont use quotes this time. I think the problem is I see a fundamental difference in the statements "suggesting a connection" and "perpetrated the attacks", whereas you seem to think the two a functionally equivalent.

To me, if Iraq supports and harbors terrorists and if some of these same terrorists were members of al Qaeda, and furthermore that al Qaeda was responsible for 9/11, then you are establishing a link between the two groups. I mean, you are aiding and abetting a terrorist organization, to me, that's a link.

Maybe I should use a hypothetical example. Person A is walking down the street and is shot and killed by Person B. Person B runs down to the corner and jumps into the getaway car driven by Person C. In such a scenario Person B is the murderer, and Person C is an accomplice. Now, let's say the two split up after that, and Person C seeks refuge from the police in my house. I knowingly let an accomplice to murder into my house and hide him from the authorities. If I am caught, not only can it be "suggested" that there is a connection between me and the murderer (even though I've never helped the actual murderer) I can be charged and put in jail for my actions.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Hehehe. OK, I see we're starting to argue semantics, and that won't really go anywhere. Let me try to explain what I think Cheney has been saying all along, and why his statement in the debate is not a lie/obfuscation/whatever.

Cheney has been arguing that it was the right thing to invade Iraq and replace its government. One of his arguements is that Iraq is a sponsor and harborer or terrorism, and due to the 9/11 attacks by terrorists, the US looks at such things in a more serious light. I think the intent of all the statements you quoted above were to support that; namely, Iraq supports terrorism, and since we were attacked by terrorists on 9/11 that needs to be dealt with.

Now lets look at the debate statements.
    Edwards:
    Cheney:
    So IMO, Cheney comes out and says what he's meant all along: No direct link between Iraq and 9/11, but there is a connection due to Iraq and terrorism in general.

19. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I watched this in a packed student lounge, and this line from Cheney drew the best laughs of the night.

I have problems seeing how Cheney came off well last night. He tried to seem uber-capable, in charge, avuncular, etc., but ended up seeming tired, irritable, defensive, and mean. He also avoided answering most questions, which was probably a good tactic given the lack of accomplishments his administration could point to.

I wonder to what extent Edwards will be hurt by seeming younger than his years; it's hard to believe that he's only what, 12 years younger than Cheney.

Debates in the US are truly pitiful, I think. They seem to be more about image, talking points, and damage control than about serious debate. I wonder how well using such a measure of a candidate's capability to be president serves the country.

In the end, the debate will be won or lost by the news agencies, and which exit poll they decide to hype. ABC says Cheney won, but their poll samples more Repubs than Dems. CBS says Edwards won, and their poll just tracked "representative undecided voters," whatever that means.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The basic idea is that Cheney is not a chimp. Not like I like him. Of course, both sides will claim victory now and brag about it. Representative uncided voters? Perhaps they should poll representative Kerry supporters and representative Bush supporters to check who won...

Dick, meet Ragusa. Ragusa, meet Dick.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.