1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Valen and Solaufein proficiencies

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, I just added a bunch of mods, and while I can't seem to get Tashia to work, Kelsey, Valen and Solafein seem to be working just fine. Granted, I'm not roleplaying this at all, but I was wondering if anyone knew what classes they are, and what proficiencies they had, so I can hold onto items they can use. I'm guessing Valen is a fighter-thief, and I'm guessing that Sola is a fighter-mage, but obviously, I haven't a clue as to what they have proficiencies in (although I would hazard a guess I'm looking at short swords/long swords/scimitars/daggers. Any info could help. Also, are these people "tanking" characters? I assume I can with Sola as he has stoneskin, but what about Valen? Also, after Bohdi betrays you, do you get to keep Valen, or does she leave you?

[ March 02, 2004, 17:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Valen has grand mastery in daggers, and won't leave you after the betrayal. She is incredibly powerful, especially since her level draining attack uses the daggers proficiency.

Solaufein uses scimitars I think, but I'm not sure. It's been a long time since I played it.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Valen (a.k.a. the Queen of Cheese) is a fighter-thief with grand mastery in daggers. She has her "claws" which are a special weapon (treated as a dagger) possessing vampiric (i.e. level drain) abilities.

These claws increase in power as she levels up (If i remember correctly they reach 5 levels drained/hit). They are far more powerful than any weapon that you can find in the game so unless you are trying to weaken her you will not have to worry about finding weapons for her.

Valen is not really a tank but in practice she will kill any opponent before they can do much damage to her. Valen will stay with you to the end of the game. She is pure evil so unless you are planning to play an evil party this will likely cause you quite a bit of grief. Oh, and I would strongly recommend using Sarevok and her in the same party.

Kelsey and Tashia are both fairly standard sorcerers.

It has been a while since I played as Solafein so I can't recall what exactly his proficiencies are but he is a heavy buffing fighter-mage type and thus can be used for tanking.

4. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have only recently installed the Solaufein mod. He is proficient in longsword, flail and two weapon style. :)
    For a tank he lacks a bit in the HP department, but his magic will help out there. Incredibly powerful he is.

5. Aggril Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Solaufein starts with longsword and flail proficiencies, as well as one star in katanas if your party is higher level. He's lacking in constitution, so you might want to get that belt that boosts con to 18 if you intend to tank with him. I'd hold on to the Flail of the Ages for him too unless someone else in your group has it already. I'd also give him a robe or elven chain if you've got it, at least until you get the Bladesinger chain later on.
    Sola isn't so good as a tank (IMO) unless you take the time and effort to buff him up before battle. I'd always have stoneskin active, just in case.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I was definitely planning on an evil party. With Solafein and Valen, I can finally have a party consisting of 6 evil party members. They will obviously be:

PC (either a barbarian or a kensai - but a fighter type regardless)
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Valen
    Yoshi/Solafien

I figure, I may as well let Yoshimo tag along in the beginning, although I probably will tell Imoen to find her own way home following her rescue. That way, I'll get some more level ups between chapter 4 and 5 and get Solafien at as high a level as possible. Also, I will plan on doing as few quests as possible prior to leaving for Spellhold. I'll have to do the Thief stronghold to get Edwin, and I will also probably do the the fighter stronghold to get the FoA and a nice axe for Korgan. After that, it's off to Spellhold.

7. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Aldeth, Solaufein will be chaotic neutral if you are evil. Otherwise he will be of a good alignment. I fear even with Solaufein you wont get your party of pure evil. :(

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Dendri

:doh: Good aligned Drow? What is the world coming to? Well, that makes the decision easier as far as who is getting the boot come ToB...

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Solaufein is more of a good party character. I used the same party as you are planning except for Solaufein. I can't remember who I used as the final member of my Valen party - I might have stuck with Imoen until I could get Sarevok.

In terms of your character, I would suggest you try the anti-paladin if you have not already done so. The kit was originally included with Valen but I think it was eventually moved into the Tactics mod. The kit is kind of cheesy but with Valen along you are in for a cheese fest anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.