1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Using the same Windows XP license on different computers?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

To branch off my laptop thread, I am wondering if it will work to use the same Win XP license on two computers - my stationary computer which will remain in Sweden, and my laptop which I will bring with me to Australia. The question is not so much about legal or moral dilemmas, but more in the sense of "will both computers get their updates and so on?".

I will be using Kitrax's guides to fix my computer, and also follow what has been said in my old threads (http://sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42475 , http://sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41995), and maybe take a look at a few items in Gizmo Richards list, but aside from that, do you guys have any other tips for getting started with a new computer?

Thanks in advance, regards
    Bahir

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Short Answer: No
    Long Answer: Maybe

If your copy of XP is an OEM, then no...it will only work on the computer it shipped with. If you bought the retail version, you might be able to install it on another computer...but knowing M$, you will have to buy the full retail version for a second computer. :rolling:

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Like Kitrax said, it depends on the type of license you have. Unless it is an OEM license, you should at least be able to uninstall it from the current computer and then install it on the laptop. Basically you do not have to uninstall I suppose, if you do not use it anymore, so that you can switch back painlessly. You might need to phone Microsoft for activation though, if you have used all of them. I have not read the license, but the above to me at least is common sense which should apply here without any problems as well.

But, does not your laptop come with XP/Vista preinstalled? If so, why not use it?

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yes, only OEM for a new computer according to Microsoft agreements (EULA - End User License Agreement). A new computer is defined by a new motherboard. You may safely replace your motherboard if it's defective, but only then. Othewise you may not.

However, if you have a retail version of Windows, you can use it on one computer at a time, but you can safely change the computer from one to another. There used to be something with laptops as in supposedly having one copy of Windows on a desktop and a laptop legally, but I don't know the basis of that theory.

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yeah, it comes with Vista, but so far, I have heard nothing good about it (but I would like to, if anyone knows), and it seems to be quite resource-demanding (which doesn't seem optimal if you want get good battery time, or playing online games etc. But I might check out Vista for a couple of days before deciding if I need to install XP on it or not.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think vista is actually meant to be better in regards to battery time (it has better power monitoring features or something). If you've got the RAM to support it I wouldn't really say it's that bad, just in most people's eye's it isn't worth the cost to upgrade to, especially when there's likely to be hardware incompatibilities (which you won't need to worry about).

Having said that, isn't there a way that you can downgrade your vista licence to XP for a while and then go back to Vista when you choose?

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'd recommend you PM DotW about that. IIRC, he dealt with that issue at his last job...or something like that. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.