1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USA-Drivers' ID-Rebellion

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Nakia, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Did I mention that I'm currently reading George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four? Strange coincidence. :hahaerr:

Here is what congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) has to say on the subject: http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2005/tst050905.htm

3. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@Nakia

Yes, no more need be said.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ditto and double for what was quoted above.

5. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I really fail to see what the issue here is.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    We're so close to having a national ID card as it is - when's the last time you weren't able to do something by providing your SSN, even though that's specifically NOT how the number is meant to be used? - that I'm not sure taking the final step is a bad idea. If it stiffens the requirements for obtaining a driver's license, that's good. If it stiffens the penatlies for driving like a complete butthead, that's good too.

I'll admit that I didn't read the article. Perhaps the implementation currently under consideration leaves something to be desired, but I think the idea merits further discussion.

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yeah, this punch doesn't taste spiked to me either...

*shrug*

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What? So they're proposing having a country-wide standard of drivers licences, with all the data linked into one database? If I'm understanding that correctly, what is wrong with it? It seems the logical way to go.

9. Montresor

Media:
    It is not just "drivers licenses", it is a National ID card with biometric information (retina scan, fingerprints, etc.) and the potential for building in radio transmitters so the national database can keep track of citizens' movements at all times. As Ron Paul says,
    In the US it is an issue that the federal government passes legislation but fails to provide the funding for the states to implement the law. ("Here, please uphold this law. Oh, and please foot the bill, too!")

Besides, it is a matter of whether you want to trust the government with such information - today as well as tomorrow! Even if you trust the current administration (which I wouldn't), you can't be certain that any country will remain a democracy, and even if it does, you don't know who the next president will be.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, there is a certain amount of logic and possible usefulness to it.

States may not like because of infringement of States' Rights. However we do drive across state lines so this might be a grey area.

However if the main reason the Federal Government wants a National Driver's license is to track terrorists/criminals then its usefulness is questionable.

I would prefer having my driver's license used for identification purposes than my Social Security number.

11. Daie d'Malkin

Oh my God! My Driver's License contains methods of identifying me!

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Mine has my photo and its no big deal.

Why does Radio Shack ask for a social security number? The stupid cashier couldn't understand that I didn't have a SS because I am from Ireland :rolleyes:

This is probably not true, but when I was in the US, I was told that the middle 2 numbers in the SS are used to tell if you are white or not. Apparently its an ever number if you are white, but odd if you are not.

13. Montresor

Media:
    A picture used to be sufficient. And if a picture can be faked, so can other types of ID.

The radio frequence technology is not for identification but for localization.

14. Daie d'Malkin

Retina scan, Fingerprints, DNA?

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not it's not. The range on RFID is a few feet. It is simply an additional electronic verification of who you are.

My only issue with a national ID card is: Is it worth the additional cost?

16. Nakia

Media:
    @Cúchulainn. I can think of no reason why Radio Shack or any other merchant would request a SS# unless you were applying for a credit card with them.

17. Montresor

Media:
    A driver's license with your name and address on it in my possession with my picture, my retina scan, my fingerprint, and my DNA? Sure!

Yes, and any RFID reader you pass within a few feet can detect you. The RFID reader need not be in the possession of a cop.

Economic cost: Doubtful. Cost to your right to privacy: Very doubtful.

Point being: I don't trust the US government, the Danish government, or any other government. The less they know about me, the happier will I be.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The eyeballs of the person down the street can detect you at a much greater distance.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Pop em in the microwave for a minute after you get them...The RFID chip will be toasted. Then wait for the helicopters. :D

20. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

New US passports have an ID chip in them. The idea is to speed up the process of passing through customs and immigration. If you're the paranoid type, you can smash the thing with a hammer and the passport is still considered valid. It will just be treated like an old one that lacks the chip.

That's an old urban myth. The middle two numbers originally referred to which file cabinet they put you in. This was before computers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.