1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

US Students Still Poor at Geography

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only 25 percent of students scored proficient or above.

I took the sample tests (4th, 8th and 12th grades) from the link and answered them all correctly, so it didn't seem that hard, but maybe the whole test would be more difficult... I don't know.

Even so, is Geography a necessary science to learn these days if you aren't going in to that field? Pretty much anything you'd want to know could be retrieved instantly with a search engine.

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

You don't need to know the world when you're the center of it...

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I got a 100% when I did the 12th grade but I have to admit local (I live in Wisconsin) knowledge helped me with one of the questions.

Geography may not be the most important skill-you don't need to know it in order to balance a checkbook, fix a computer, or a bunch of other things.

But it is one of those general knowledge things that may be good just to know. Plus lack of geographical knowledge can end up making one look really stupid if displayed in public and/or in relation to a major issue/situation.

I have to thank a WW2 Board Game for helping me learn about European national geography back when.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I got one of the grade 12 questions wrong because I really don't know the relative height above sea level for all the Continents. Most of the questions should be answerable to the target students. The idea that so many bombed is deeply depressing.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I took the 12th grade test, got them all right, but I must say that 3 of the 5 questions presented were, at best, tangentally related to geography. The world map question and the layout of South America are geography questions. The other ones are not, IMO.

There was a question on why people immigrate. Other than the fact that immigrants go from one place on the planet to another, that's more of a sociology question than a geography question.

On the desertification of East Africa affecting women more than men, that's a mixture of sociology and environmental science.

Finally, that the air is cooler than large bodies of water in the early winter, that's a mixture of environmental science and ecology - not geography. (Note: the study of ecology as a field has more to do with weather patterns, climate, and habitats than it does "going green" and "save the earth" stuff.)

6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

As part of my degree, I ended up in a geography class. But it wasn't physical geography -- iirc it was called human geography. It was kind of cool. Dealt with the stuff you mentioned -- migration, land use, the effect of geographical features on cultures, and the converse as well.

On another note, I took some other sample questions from other subjects. Didn't do too badly!

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is geography Aldeth, sociology deals with individual and to some extent societies. More advanced geography deals with the impact people have on the land, the impact the land have on people, how we change our geography and the general interaction between the geography and people amongst other things. I got all of them right on the 12th grade but I must say that it was some pretty advanced stuff and I shot from the hip on a few of them. Geography as a subject is a lot more than maps and borders though.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I guess that goes to show why Americans are poor with geography - we don't even define geography as you do. Although -

Sure sounds like that would apply to the question on the African women.

I never took anything other than basic history and geography courses, but I have taken college level environmental science courses, and some of that other stuff was definitely covered there. I know that geography is more than just nations, capitals, borders, and land features, but my point is that in the US, that's pretty much all we cover.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Today 'US Students Poor At Geography', tomorrow 'Bears take poos in the woods - exposed!'.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Don't Americans obsess over knowing the capital cities of every state in the Union? I've always felt that's low level memorization at its worst. i think it's much more important to know what kind of industries a State has, what kind of landscape it has, what kind of history it has, and other such higher level concepts.

At low grades, it might be good for instilling memorization and study skills, mind you, but whatever.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I don't have the capital of every state memorized, although I do know most of them. However, if you gave me a map of the US with none of the state names filled in, I could certainly do that. AFAIK, having to memorize state capitals is consider archaic - probably for the reasons you state.

Also, because of the tradition of putting the state capital more or less in the center of the state, it's not uncommon for the state capital to not be even a particularly important city within the state. Look at Maryland - it's biggest city is Baltimore, but Annapolis is the capital. You'd think that either Philly or Pittsburgh would be the capital of PA, but it's Harrisburg. Albany cannot possibly be one of NY's biggest cities... and the list goes on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.