1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UPS Experiences

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, May 25, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've bought a Sweex 1000VA about a year back and am returning the POS today... Over the course of the year I've managed to see it fail more and more often when it should have kicked in (minute power interruptions and surges are a major problem here, especially during summer and snowy winters), up to the point where it obviously doesn't kick in at all any more. It's a funny thing because if I kill electricity myself (even repeatedly, rapidly), it does kick in, but when the power goes out for a second, for example, it doesn't. It's happened to me twice over two days now, and it's really pissed me off.

This Sweex UPS is actually more powerful than I need and I've purposefully shelled out a bit more money to be on the safe side, but it's turned out to be total crap. It has a 3-year warranty, but I wonder what they'll do with it now that I'm returning it... probably put it in a corner and ship it back to me after a month saying that their "tests" have verified that it works just fine. :bad:

So I'm wondering what are everyone else's experiences with UPSes.

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I have an APC UPS, which I bought back in 2000/2001 or so. It has been perfect so far, always kicking in at the slightest disruption. Even the battery has lasted ok so far, which is quite surprising.

The model is Back-UPS RS 1500 or something like that, it is currently providing backup power for my linux server, which is not located here, so I cannot check it.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My experience has been pretty similar to yours Taluntain but my UPS didn't start failing until shortly after the warrenty had expired. It pretty much is just an oversized surge protector now - although I don't really know if it is even accomplishing that. I do know that when the power goes off my computer just immediately shuts down.

I would have to say that your prediction about their warrenty "repairs" sounds about right to me too.

4. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have a small Belkin 425VA. I have had it for several years now. Maybe for 5 years. I just unplugged the cord from the wall for about 10 seconds and it kept my computer/monitor going just fine. I have no idea how well of a spike/brownout protector it is. I never hear it beep, but I have very stable power where I live. I did accidentally 'test' it once before about a year ago. I pulled the wall plug out while running the vacuum cleaner and it kept the computer going for at least 5 minutes before the battery went dead. I did hear the beeping but I thought it was something on the TV so I did not notice until after the computer went dead. I bought the Belkin brand from a local Frys store because I saw that this brand was actually still made in the US and not in China.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have an APC Back-UPS XS 1200 that I keep two computers, my cable modem, and my VOIP gateway on. And a smaller APC BE 325R that I have my ethernet switch connected to (it's up in the attic away from my other components).

I bought them both back in September when I bought my new computer with the intent of using it as a DVR.

As far as I'm aware they have worked flawlessly since then. Though I have yet to have a long-term power outage, it's not uncommon to have a couple really short power outages every month. Right now my XS 1200 reports I've had 3 blackouts totalling 14 seconds and 1 undervoltage totalling 5 seconds in the past four weeks.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I've used several APC units over the years, and they've always worked flawlessly for me. My parents still use one of them (it must be over 5 years old) and it's still perfect, even with frequent brownouts and blackouts. I've never used Belkin but have heard good stuff from them, though I think you can't go wrong with APC.

7. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Our power here tends to run closer to 130 V than to 115. I had to totally give up on incandescent bulbs, since the overvoltage replacement parts are neither easy to find, nor available in a full spread of sizes (I use nothing but mini-fluorescents now).

We also have numerous (comparatively nearby) lightning strikes that create current fluctuations in the neighborhood. There is a sizable transformer station just six blocks away, which probably explains the overvoltage problem. Complaining to the CPS is useless, of course (publicly owned utility).

So I have a couple of line filters (Tripplite) that function as both current controllers, and surge protectors. The (APC) UPS' (two in here) sit behind those; when there is any momentary brownout, there are beeping alarms from three of the four (the second line conditioner doesn't beep any more). I have also used Tripplite UPS devices, with slightly poorer service than from the APC.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I guess the only consistent thing that I hear is that APC UPSes work great. Of course, I knew that APC makes the best ones, but also the most expensive ones... the prices on the low-end ones are already very high, and a 1000VA APC is about 3-5x as expensive as other brands. But I guess I'll just have to get one if I want a decently working UPS... I can't afford anything near a 1000VA APC though, but I imagine a 650VA would be enough most of the time.

Btw JSBB, which brand was yours that failed?

[ May 26, 2007, 12:16: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

9. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Actually, my pair of small APC devices, the first UPSes I owned, both totally quit after about four years (I owned them during 1990/ 1994, roughly). One had needed a replacement battery at the 3 year point, and if the pair died of anything other than a "natural" death, there were no other household electronics affected by a surge of any kind.

These were the long, slender ones with four outlets on their rear panel. The more recently purchased (APC) ones are larger, horizontally oriented, and have a total of 8-10 outlets, only half of those being connected to the battery backup.

The Tripplite pair of small UPSes that served in the interim did give up the ghost in protecting systems here from a nearby lightning strike's effects.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My laptop is my UPS. :p

Heh...besides that, I used to have (gave it to my dad) some no-name box that was rated at 5000VA. I never really trusted it, so I didn't hesitate to leave it for my dad when I moved out. While it never failed on me, I'm not sure how it's been holding up for my dad.

When I finally build my next PC, I'll probably get an APC unit between 650VA - 1000VA. I haven't heard anything bad about APC, and they're the most commonly found at the store. :rolling:

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My UPS is a Tripp Lite.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I have a Microtek 600 VA UPS...nothing special...just something which lets me shut down the computer safely if there's a power outage...and it helps me keep the computer running smoothly with random power spikes which are a huge problem in my city.

Not much to say...works like its meant to...

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Yet another example that if you want quality stuff then you have to pay a lot for it. I think that generally you do end up saving on the long run, but in the particular case of UPSs I'd much rather pay a lot more for something that'll last 3-5 years than to pay less for one that will die after a few months and take everything else (computer, screen, and so on) with it.

I don't know about where you live, but over here prices tend to jump in strange ways once you go above 500VA. If you don't need the 1000, then 800 should be more than enough, and could be much cheaper (especially since APC are more expensive than others to begin with)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.