1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unfortunate problems with CD

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Ursaj, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Ursaj Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] After becoming a huge fan of Baldur's Gate, getting all of them as well as Icewind Dale, I finally found Planescape: Torment and bought it, too. However, the moment after I started the game and tried to proceed to the next floor, the game crashes and gives me the WED file error, or in other words, the game doesn't find the requested area off the disc. Now, unlike with BG1 which also had the same problem(goddamn Best Buy boxes...), I can't run a complete installation. Should I just return the game to the store or something or is there some way to get over this? I've already gotten the patch and cleaned the disk at least a hundred times...

[This message has been edited by Ursaj (edited March 11, 2002).]

2. MartinS Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ursaj, I'm not sure if full instalation will help.

Btw, Tal wrote long ago on this forum how to "fake" full installation here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000031.html

Ok, if the "full install" doesn't help try these:

1. Try checking for a firmware/BIOS update for your CD or DVD drive. This happened to Kitiara, she installed BG2 with no problem, but Torment wouldn't go until she found the correct driver.
    2. If you have multiple CD/DVD drives, only install from one and do not try to use all of your drives. This could confuse InstallShield.
    3. Try turning off DMA for your CD/DVD drive. You can find this checkbox by going to your Control Panel, then to System, then to the Device Manager tab. Find your CD/DVD drive and bring up its Properties, then go to the Settings tab.
    4. Try turning off your CD/DVD read-ahead. You can find this slider by going to your Control Panel, then to System, then to the Performance tab. Down in the Advanced Settings frame, press the File System... button and move the slider all the way to the left. You may need to restart for this setting to take effect.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited March 11, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  4. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

I'm not sure if this solution applies to this problem but people say it all the time so I'll just mention it;
    Try clearing out Torment's cache and temp folders.
    Also, if you have the 2-CD version of Torment you should not install the patch. The patch is only for the 4-CD version.

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yes, Platters solution above does apply to the problem.

The first time I ran PsT, I ran into the same exact bug, I couldn't go to another level in the mortuary that you begin in without the game crashing. Tal suggested emptying the cache out, I did, and it worked.

I highly recommend doing the "unofficial" full install - the game goes much smoother after that.

6. Ursaj Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Alrighty...thanks a lot, you all! I've been in despair for quite some while now, let's hope it works.

7. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

:o
    EDIT: Question removed as it was rather embarrasingly solved by cleaning the CD

(But now I've told you about it. So that's quite cool. And I've done it since then.) :1eye:

[This message has been edited by Masher (edited March 13, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.