1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Underdark - OoC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Felinoid, May 17, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

2. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Ooh, Underdark! FInally, a chance to be evil!

I assume you're not using Deep Imaskari for power reasons?

3. Felinoid

Or because I've never even heard of them? :D Seriously, I put up what I could find from my 2e sources. Though I'm betting that if you think they're overpowered, they are, and I wouldn't use them without some serious tweaking.

4. Daie d'Malkin

Ah, well I'm using the 3rd ed. Underdark book. I can provide rules and stuff from that if you like. EDIT: ALthough I assume you're using 2ed because of a deep-seated resentment of 3 and 3.5?

Actually, on a further look, Deep Imaskari don't have a level adjust, so they could well be usable. Your call though.

What're the rules on multiple characters?

[ May 17, 2006, 11:37: Message edited by: Daie d'Malkin ]

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Are Driders going to be allowed? And if yes what are the requirements for them

Will there be house and temple politics? Are you going to provide house names and attributes?

6. Daie d'Malkin

Driders have a +4 level adjust. Gonna take you a hell of a long time to level up. Mind you, Derro have a +4 too.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Derro savant is calling me. :evil: I'll roll up some stats while I wait for details.

@Daie - There isn't level adjustments in 2e, iirc.

What's the plot? General MDKing and mayhem?

8. Daie d'Malkin

@ Kuemp-I know. My books are 3.5

ALso, what about starting levels? Lvl 1 will get us eaten in the Underdark

9. DarkStrider

Daie driders didn't have a level adjustment, but you couldn't become a drider until you were a certain level. (Must find 2e books)

10. Daie d'Malkin

Again, my books are 3.5, and Driders do have a lvl adjust in 3.5, and you have to be lvl 6 to become one.

11. Felinoid

@Daie:
    Yes, quite deep-seated. ;)

Multiple characters is frowned on, but okay if you've got an appropriately good RP reason for it. I would ask that any doubled characters be given to two different people to play, to keep it a little balanced, though (not a requirement, just a request). Like the Drow brothers in Rashemen were originally played separately by Dalamar and Elwithral. Companions or other non-classed creatures are acceptable. :)

@DS:
    Driders are a bad idea. You can become one if you want to, but there's really no reason to want to in 2e. "Driders are created by the drow's dark goddess. When a dark elf of above-average abilities reaches 6th level, the goddess may put him or her through a special test. Failures become driders." It's also worth noting that driders are non-classed creatures, not being able to advance any farther.

House and Temple politics are unlikely, but not necessarily not going to happen. The reason that they're unlikely is because I doubt a group as varied as ours is likely to become would be accepted by any House of any race.

@kuemper:
    You are correct that there are no level adjustments in 2e, but the closest thing they did have was the extra XP requirements.

The plot will be what we make it. This is a freeform RP. :)

EDIT:
    Starting levels will be at 1. Not everything in the Underdark is uber-dangerous, and we're going to get lucky on that score. ;) For example, at one point I imagine we will meet up with one or two bugbears. (What the encounter consists of may depend on players' race choices...)

[ May 18, 2006, 02:37: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I decided on a male drow necromancer. Any advice on spells to know? My 2e knowledge is BG for this. I'll put him in the character thread if it's okay (and before my connection drops again ;) ).

EDIT: Valdos is up. Are his stats and spells okay?

[ May 18, 2006, 03:44: Message edited by: kuemper ]

13. Felinoid

The BG spells are arguably the best (at least at low levels), so that's a very good starting point. Larloch's Minor Drain isn't a spell in the books I have, but it's a good one and it's just the kind of spell that should have been created for that niche. Other things I'd suggest would be Detect Undead and Comprehend Languages (for someone who is interested in the archeological dead), or maybe Chill Touch (if you're looking to create death), or even a whacked-out Find Familiar which creates one from the bones of an animal or something. :grin: One thing I will warn you about is that Necromancers cannot cast Illusion/Phantasm or Enchantment/Charm; both schools are off-limits.

One spell selection I will very highly recommend for any and all mages is Armor. The un-nerfed version. It is, in fact, damn near permanent. It gives you an AC of 6 (cumulative with DEX but not with any type of armor or magic; the only exception being an actual physical shield held on the arm, by a Fighter/Mage), and lasts until you take 8 damage + 1 per level of the caster. The damage accumulates, so if a mage took 2 damage, got healed, and then took 3 more damage, the Armor would be down by 5. The beauty of this spell is that you don't have to have it memorized, unless the HP of the Armor is low and you suspect it will fail soon. The damage the Armor takes is also taken by the character, so there is no damage reduction with this spell. It is only an AC bonus with a duration determined by the damage that the character takes. But it's still an unbelievably incredible spell for mages, and I never go without it. :)

EDIT:
    Ooh, a couple quibbles. One, necromancers need 16 WIS, not 15. And in looking that up I found an even bigger problem. The only specialties that elves are allowed are Diviner and Enchanter. :( But considering the Drow's radically different outlook, I'm willing to let that slide. I'll also rule that Svirfneblin could be Necros as well, in addition to Illusionists. Just make sure you put that WIS up a point. :)

Also, don't forget Armor. ;) And high-WIS wizards get more spells 'known', by the number of spells they would get for their WIS as priests (house rule). That includes the higher level spells, so that you do not have to find scrolls later.

14. DarkStrider

I knew driders had something to do with Lolth but was uncertain what that was.

I'm torn between a Male Duergar Fighter/Thief or a Female Drow Cleric, if there's enough Drow I'll play the Duergar.

Suggestion on a dinner-plate please.

15. Daie d'Malkin

Hmm, my idea is a male drow fighter and a Deep Imaskari female mage.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I wasn't sure if it was 15 Wis or 16 and I forgot about that elf diviner/enchanter thingy. Boo! *thumbs down* Thanks for the other info though. I change a couple minor things and keep my BG manual at the ready for spells.

Another question - What about ressurection? What happens when one of us dies? Valdos won't be wasting his time helping others (unless they are between him and his death :) ) and I don't expect anyone of you guys to be any different. :evil:

17. Felinoid

@DS:
    Hmm, we need a cleric more than we need an F/T (I'm a C/T and Ara will be an F/T, I believe), but we also need more non-drow. Duergar Cleric (or F/C) might be interesting, but...

@Daie:
    :skeptic: Um, why don't you just do the fighter and leave the magery to kuemp and others. Unless you'd like to enlighten me on exactly WTF a deep Imaskari is?

@kuemper:
    Well, Ressurection and Reincarnate are 7th level spells, and way out of our current range. Even Raise Dead is 5th level. And dragging a body of someone to a temple to be raised? Pfeh. Maybe a good character might do that, but most of us (maybe even all of us) won't be so inclined. We just have to make sure not to die, or if we do, to create another character to replace them (a level lower than the party). It makes a good way to either change characters if you're not having fun with the one you have, or to gracefully bow out; just get your character killed.

18. Daie d'Malkin

A Deep Imaskari is effectively a kind of human native to the Underdark. They have some extra stuff like +2 Int, -2 dex, low-light vision, +4 hide checks, and they can recall any previously cast 1st lvl spell once a day.

Apart from that, they're normal humans, albeit with skin the colour of stone.

19. Felinoid

Ah, an Underdark human? It looks okay, but assuming that those are 3.5e, I'd halve the stat changes: +1 INT, -1 DEX. An additional 1st level spell isn't a big thing, especially when it has to be one you can cast by your class (considering some of the others >_>), and combined with the other bonuses, I'd put only a 5% extra requirement on it. None at all if they multi-classed like half-elves rather than dual-classed like humans.

20. DarkStrider

Ok I'll be a Duergar cleric, sort the stats out and post them later, Duergar dieties anyone?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.