1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ultimate John Kerry ad

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by teekc, Oct 12, 2004.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Here's a clip from the Daily Show, in a feature called Bush vs. Bush. You need realplayer to see it, but it's worth it.

Bush vs. Bush

Flip-Flop.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The John Kerry Ad was so funny! John-Flip-Flop-Kerry is an idiot...surly he knew that people would start noticing that he changes his mind on every topic to please the crowd he's talking to. I would like to get an official record to see what he voted for in congress. :rolling:

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Telling bull**** with a confident tone and fancy accent. Much like myself when I get drunk. Only my bull**** is always more consistent than his bull****, no matter how drunk I am (and my accent is sexier). Does that man have a piece of a spine? To me, he seems to have issues. It seems it's natural for him to say whatever the interlocutor wants to hear. It looks so genuine he probably isn't even consciously lying. Guess he would pass lie detector tests as well. Someone had better get him a doctor.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yet some more carefully selected propaganda clips from the Republican bag of dirty tricks... how surprising. :rolleyes:

I guess Kerry really can't compete with Bush's excellent track record of consistency in stupidity.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Just why it sucks to be forced to choose between the Brainless and the Spineless.

Edit: Just for the sake of clarity, I'm not with the Republicans on this one, neither with the Democrats. But I still resent the idea of referring to anything that exposes Kerry's lack of consistency as dirty tricks. Kerry is not a holy icon defiled with unholy attempts of evil minions who dare accuse him of things he wouldn't do simply because he's the holy John Kerry. The man is invertebrate and the quotes show he has serious troubles with himself. Granted, the selection is "helped" and largely tendentious, but it doesn't change the fact that Kerry is responsible for his internal contradictions. It's no dirty propaganda to point out how he contradicts himself. Just don't infer any warm feelings to Dubya or Dick from what I'm saying about Kerry now. It's good I don't have to vote in American elections.

[ October 12, 2004, 22:40: Message edited by: chevalier ]

8. Bion Gems: 21/31

Well, both of links are a bit disingenuous, but I have to say that the Jon Stewart link comes off far better. Stewart is merely reminding people of how strongly against nation-building the Repubs were before the last election, and how hard they worked to portray the Democrats as the party that would go after dangerous regimes overseas (after Bosnia, Somalia, etc). Of course, things changed after 9/11, but still, it seems fair game to question Republican claims of monopoly over nation-building.

The johnkerryads link is over the top though, as each of the supposed flip-flops is easily justified by events as they happened. Of course John Kerry, along with many, many other people, supported removing Saddam from power at a time when the entire US intelligence community seemed to be united in saying that Saddam had WMDs. Now that it turns out that the supposed consensus in the intelligence community was the result of aggressive arm-twisting by the Bush administration, it seems like major chutzpah for the Bushies to try to say, "look, Kerry thought Saddam had WMDs too." It's also completely logical to hold at the same time the positions that 1) given this was a manufactured war, Bush should be held accountable for spending moneys in Iraq that could have been spent domestically; and 2) given that the US has already gone into Iraq, more troops should be sent and money should be spent. The position is that 1) the US shouldn't have gone in in the first place, but 2) now that they have, they have no choice but to make it work, as leaving now would mean disaster.

I see neither spinelessness nor flip-flopping in this position.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

But Bion, it only isn't flip flopping 'IF' you can prove that the Bush administration created the false report on Iraq's WMD - quite an extreme claim, I'd love to see proof.

Kerry's flip-flopping is a good thing but imagine if he was in Bush's situation as president now. He'd probably be saying things like

"Why are you attacking me about the situation in Iraq? I don't even want to go to war!"

"But you did."

"That was based on incorrect information. Now that I find that information is false I do not want to go to war."

"But you found out AFTER we went to war."

"And now I don't want to go to war."

The mind boggles.

10. Bion Gems: 21/31

Extreme claim? I never suggested that the Bush admin created false documents; my charge was simply that the Bush administration had an agenda with Iraq, and that they molded intelligence to fit that agenda by ignoring whatever contradicted it and pumping up whatever went along with it. And it seems to me that this is pretty much common knowledge by now.

And I don't get your imagined dialogue with Kerry at all. While it certainly *would* be mind-boggling if Kerry suggested that we go back in time and not go to war, it would also be mind-boggling if Kerry were to sprout horns and hooves, start running around with a pitchfork, and claim to be the pope. However, returning to reality, the points are:

1) The Bush administration massaged the intelligence to make a war of choice seem like a war of necessity.

2) Many people, including Kerry, supported the war because they thought it was a war of necessity, and not a war of choice.

3) Now that the US has taken out the old Iraqi government, many people who were against the war in the first place think the US has no choice but to stay in Iraq until a new govenment is installed, as no one wants chaos in the middle east.

4) The Bush administration should expect heavy criticism for both gaming pre-war intelligence and screwing up the occupation.

5) It's perfectly reasonable for Kerry to a) have supported the war based on gamed evidence; b) now criticize the Bush administration for gaming that evidence, and hold that he would have acted much differently had the intelligence been different; c) say that we now have an obligation to Iraq: you broke it, you own it; and d) suggest that the Rumsfeld doctrine of private contractors and minimal troop presence was a mistake, and that more troops and money will be necessary.

This makes sense to me. I'm not sure why making up a fantasy scenario is relevant here.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    How is that a good thing? Saying one thing and doing another tells the truth about someone. :rolling:

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Argh, sorry. I was going to get back to that but forgot. I meant to say it is good in some ways in how he can change his mind when presented with new information. However changing your mind about EVERYTHING depending not on new information but on a new question is not good.

13. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Mark simone is a local new york radio station guy who made this ad for a laugh, and that's it. There is reason i put this under whatnot not aoda.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Considering the discussion developing, I'm moving it to AoDA. Though there's not really much to add... Everything I wanted to explain to chev has already been said by Bion, so I don't need to, now.

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Bah, how many times have whatnot threads been 'promoted' to AoDA? It's about politics and Tal had the nurve to call anything against Kerry 'propaganda', it's just asking for a AoDAing.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Selective display of clips with no regard to the context in which they appeared to further the Republican agenda of character assassination is propaganda, as far as I'm concerned.

And the only time threads get moved is when the move is warranted, and considering most of this thread consists of political discussion, it obviously fits into AoDA.

As for you, you continue to amaze me with your posts... you're the only (yep, only) person outside the US that I know of that not only approves of Bush and everything his administration has been doing these past 4 years, but defends it with nearly fanatical devotion. I can't help it, but I find this attitude in a New Zealander truly bizarre. Are you trying to make up for the rest of the world criticizing Bush or something? (This was rhetorical, no need to answer...)

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, to be accurate, just about everything said by or about the candidates in an election year is propaganda.

Propaganda doesn't have anything to do with truth or falsehood; it is merely the dissemination of information for the purpose of furthering or harming a cause. Propaganda can be true, it can be false, it can be a mixture of the two, it can be only pieces of the truth; it doesn't matter.

I know most people think "propaganda" is a pejorative word (and use it as such), but technically it's not.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    True, but considering how rarely (if ever - this is pretty much a theoretical possibility only) it is used to spread actual, pure truth, as opposed to propagating the views and interests of the propagandists (e.g. twisting the truth, which is in common usage by some Republicans), the obvious connotation is negative.

If any Democrats wanted to stoop down to the level of character assassination the Republicans commonly have been with Kerry, how hard do you think it would be to make Bush look like a completely brainless puppet unable to utter 3 coherent sentences in a row, let alone lead the world's mightiest country? Painfully easy - yet no one is doing it, because apparently (this is just my personal guess) the Democrats have more dignity than that. This is what I respect.

And what I despise is hearing Republicans twist Kerry's words day after day and call him inconsistent and a flip-flopper because he's smart enough to realize that even if you're the president of the US, you are not automatically always right in everything you do. Or that staying on the same course, no matter the circumstances and consequences, is always right. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that that's not how it works in real life, because sooner or later, you'd hit a brick wall with that strategy. This doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for me, and no - not even for the president of the US. Bush is getting away with it for several reasons, but "always being right" is not one of them. It will take a man other than Bush to recognize and address all the mistakes made over the last four years, and to earn the US back the respect of the world, not merely cowed submission.

[ October 14, 2004, 00:26: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    One person's "character assassination" is another's "telling it like it is". How one sees it depends one one's beliefs.

Let's say you believe Bush is a moron, manipulated the intelligence community, is Cheney's puppet etc., so when propaganda comes out saying these things, you think to yourself "Right! They're just telling it like it is!"

Let's say you also believe Kerry is a smart, stand-up guy who has the courage to change his opinion when he believes it's warranted based on new information etc., so when propaganda comes out showing that he changed his opinion about many important things, or what he says is not consistent with his voting record, or that what he says depends on who he's talking to, you think to yourself "Bah! They're just twisting the truth to make him look bad!"

And vice versa.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh, I'm well aware of the "vice-versa" involved here. I'm assuming, in everything, that each individual takes the objective approach and tries to see which side lies and decieves less (for the sake of leaving positivity out completely), and then make an informed decision who to support based on that - not start on the premise that one side is good and the other one evil. In politics, it's always about choosing the lesser evil. I gave Bush the benefit of a doubt for as long as I considered it possible, but during his 4 years, he's managed to screw up so often that I've had more than enough time to form an objective opinion against him. However, as I live outside the US, my perspective is completely different from that of your average American, which also has to be taken into account. If I were American, it's quite possible I'd support Bush in spite of everything - after all, I'd only have America to care about, no other part of the world. This would simplify matters greatly. So I harbour no ill will towards those who support Bush - only towards those who choose to support hit with lies, slander, character assassination, deception and similar despicable actions. If you tell me you support Bush because you believe he can defend your country better than Kerry, or that you believe his War on Terror is a great success and that he should be allowed to continue it for another 4 years - ok, I don't agree with this, but I can understand and accept your position.

Presentation here plays an important rule. None of those sites, clips or speeches accusing Kerry of flip-flopping bothered to include that he changed his opinion based on new information - they will simply say, he said this yesterday, and a while later he said the exact opposite; as if he had done it for no reason whatsoever - leaving out the most important part of the truth. That's the kind of half-truths and argumentation from Republicans I can't accept as legitimate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.