1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ultimate 2 person party/small party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Bahir the Red, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

What would you say is the ultimate small party, with 2-3 party members? Right now, I'm thinking one bard and a ranger/cleric, although I am not sure why a r/c is good. It just seems like a good class.

The party should be able to do HoF.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

The R/C rules. +1 attack/round with a one-handed melee weapon (when not using a shield) and Favoured Enemy is very handy. Pair him with just about any Arcane/Thieving mix and you'll have your bases covered.

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The optimal party for you depends on your preferences.

You can solo the game with any character, so you can choose whatever you like.

A cleric or druid avoids having to rest weeks if you are injured.

Ranger/cleric and bard are a good team.

The XP tables from the "Pseudo 3E Conversion Pack" you want to use will make your characters level up far too fast, making you reach the level cap early in the game.
    Because of this I would replace the bard with a fighter/mage/thief who will still reach the cap.
    You'll also gain a full thief and far better fighting power.

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Hmm... Fighter/mage/thief is restricted to short swords when it comes to bladed weapons, right? Because I probably want to use a long sword at some point, because they are usually better than short swords.

Is there any particular pieces of equipment that you should look for with a party of a bard (or f/m/t) and a ranger/cleric?

EDIT:

Oh, and with the Pseudo 3E Conversion Pack, does a bard still need intelligence for spells, or charisma?

[ July 11, 2006, 17:55: Message edited by: Bahir the Red ]

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    FMT should not be restricted at all in weapon choice, only clerics and druids have weapon restriction.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

FMTs ca use any weapon pure fighters can use, including longswords. Unlike bards they can even wear a shield while wielding a longsword.

About special equipment: I'd buy the rogue's cowl from Orrick in chapter2 or 3.
    Else just wear the best items you find. Elvin chain for your bard or fmt unless you find a better robe.

7. Grog™ Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bards will still use INT for spells ;)

8. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I like Ranger/Cleric + Thief/Mage for 2 person party. a 3rd character woudl be either Bard or Fighter/thief.

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Oh crap... Well, I the stats on my bard looks like this (took forever to roll btw)

How many spells do I miss out on here? Enough to restart the game? Right now, I have just come out from the avalanche after the failed expedition.

10. Grog™ Gems: 1/31

I wouldn't worry about it, you'll only loose 1 level (8th) of spells. The bonus spells per level feature [which is an added feature] is based off CHA, and you'll want your leader to high CHA anyway.

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

So I won't get any lvl 8 spells at all? Are those spells any good, and would they prove usefull later on, perhaps in HoF? Or can I do without them?

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Your bard has only a total of 90 stat points, my HE bard has a total of 98, you should get 93 or better pretty fast if you reroll smart.

With Auril's Bane bards get even level 9 spells. There are very useful level 8 or level 9 spells.

Int is only required for learning spells, not for casting.

There are potions which raise int by 3 or 4, so you can just drink one and scribe the level 8 or level 9 scrolls afterwards.

I never tried the 3E pack, but I don't think it changes anything about this.

Your bard is playable, but I'd restart. With 15 int you'll also have to drink a potion each time you want to scribe more than 11 spells per level if you don't edit the .2DA file (unless AB changed this already).
    It's not too difficult to get a better roll than 90 with a bard.

13. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Actually, I downloaded the "Character Control" thingy, and it worked. So I just exported my chars, edited the character file, and then imported them. Pieceacake.

14. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

CR & FMT

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

With that INT score, you can not scribe 8th ot 9th level spells, however, gulp a Potion of Genius before scribing and you will copy them to your handbook, and then will be able to cast them. :D

Bards casting 9th level is blasphemy, uninstall that component from AB, and get another level 40 rules, which allows more 8th level casting as per AD&D rules. :p

A bard plus R/C is excellent as they are both very versatile and useful characters, I have even tried the very same combo!

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/4/1234.html

Then I got HoW and ToTLM thanks to Lynadin, (where are you, BTW, pal?) and had to restart a new game, no need for 2 people to get uber levels.

16. Grog™ Gems: 1/31

NO!!, do not install another level 40 rules pack! It will not work properly with AB.

EDIT:
    A) there are no offical AD&D rules for level 40.
    B) If you want a more 'offical-like' version of the Bard spell progression (i.e. Bards only getttin 8th level spells), delete the file "MXSPLBRD.2DA" from your overrid folder [after installing the RP]. Then, rename the file "MXSPLBRD.add" to "MXSPLBRD.2DA"

[ July 13, 2006, 23:06: Message edited by: Grog™ ]

17. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Hmm, I would not advice to install the 3Ed XP chart convertor, or whatever it is called, at least not if you are going to use a small party. My 2 character party of a bard and a cleric/ranger is currently about lvl 24 and 17/17, and I still haven't gotten through all of Dragons Eye...

With the lvl 40 thingy from AB, can you reach level 40 with all classes of a multi-class character? If so, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best to just change my bard to a f/m/t, since I don't want to be level 40 untill the end of the game.

18. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You were warned about this in one of the earlier posts.

19. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

A good three character party:

Half-Elf Bard--Leader, Magic-User, melee or archery as needed, Loremaster, Pickpocket and Singer.

Dwarf Fighter/Cleric--Healer and Tank. Dwarf for Constitution bonuses. Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric if you prefer the bonuses for this class.

Halfling Fighter/Thief--Archery and Thieving. A Dual-Classed human could also fill this role, with Mastery in archery at F3. Or an Elf Fighter/Thief if you favor Strength over Constitution.

For a two player party, you could eliminate the Fighter/Thief, but personally, I can't bear to bypass all those locked chests.

20. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I just wanted to elaborate on my earlier post.

A Cleric/Ranger and a Fighter/Mage/Thief party is best because:

You get access to every spell, except high level Druid spells.

Both characters are good archers, which is what rules this game.

You can handle any trap, lock, or enemy that comes your way.

You can use almost every item you'll ever find, if you want to. The only exceptions are the Holy Avenger sword and some Bard instruments, neither of which are really that great.

Happy hunting!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.