1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UFO-fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Orkrist the Cleaver, May 5, 2001.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] So, any UFO buffs here? Therehave been major sightings recently in my area. A television program was made of one of them on the Discovery channel here in the states (a nature/science channel). Anyone seen one? Anyone here from Belgium?

2. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeah i saw one i was on a holiday on mars the other day and guess what, you will never believe me but anyway. The alien just walks up to me and sais "G'Day Mate".

Yeah there have been lots of sigthings and stuff but i dont know, no one knows.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Gormenghast!

If there are people believing in things you don't, that doesn't mean they are crazy so you can joke them with low kicks. :mad:

Personally, I never saw UFO nor aliens, but there are lots undiscovered things in this world. Every day new life forms on our planet are discovered. Maybe in a few years there will be new species in the universe discovered every day. Who knows?

4. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Space is infinite. You can never be sure what's out there waiting to be discovered. It is too selfish and foolish to think that we are the only intelligent beings in the whole universe. We'll find them or they'll find us some day. But probably none of us talking here will be alive to watch it.

'So little is what we know, so much what we presume and we learn so slowly that we pose a question and then die.'

I found this on the inner cover of a University Physics book. It's a bit irrelevant and it doesn't sound so good in English but I like it.

5. Avooch Dar Guest

i'm from a different planet..........sorry

6. stargazer Gems: 5/31

There you go! I told you they existed! I must say I didn't imagine they looked like goblins but still it's a big step for humanity!

E-a-r-t-h-l-i-n-g-s g-r-e-e-t t-h-e
    g-r-e-a-t A-v-o-o-c-h ! M-e
    S-t-a-r-g-a-z-e-r. D-o y-o-u
    u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d?
    Oh, well... He doesn't.

[This message has been edited by Stargazer rb-rjd (edited May 06, 2001).]

7. Seric Exz Guest

Considering the size of what we call 'space' (infinite, curved, or whatever), there is certainly enough room for another species.

Whether we actually should *want* to encounter another species, is another question. In my opinion (pessimist as I may be), I fear it would be only a matter of seconds before someone decided that the species was a threat to his/her/our way of life, and made attempts to eradicate it.

I find it hard to believe in such things these days, considering that most sightings turn out to be hoaxes anyway...

8. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] You're talking 'bout Ugly Flavored Oliphants?
    No, haven't seen any, so far. :)

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think I saw an angel once, but never a UFO (Oliphant that is ;) )

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

More optimistically, a civilization as aggressive as our own would never come and meet us because they'd spend too much cash fighting themselves.

11. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

if you take the theory of the universe being infinite. everything MUST exist because infinite things exist. So, if you use that theory, somewhere in the universe, there is a planet EXACTLY like ours. Or a planet exactly the same with a single minor change (like the hair color of one person). I doubt that this makes any sense to anyone, but if you think about it enough, it might make sense.

12. Avooch Dar Guest

[​IMG] I AM HERE EARTHLINGS AND I DEMAND A FEW THINGS IF YOU WANT TO LIVE. YOU MUST GIVE ME A WASHING UP BOTTLE, A ROLL OF TAPE, A FEW PAPER CLIPS, SOME PIPE CLEANERS AND SOME STICKY BACK PLASTIC.

But seriously if you think about it we are being quite silly if we think that all aliens will come to us. There may be other worlds with cavemen on them or with ancient civilisations on or indeed we could have been spotted by other aliens but they did not think we were worth visiting.Like star trek

13. herf Guest

i can just see a big green thin alien landing and jumping outta his ship and looking quickly around and screaming at me-
    "take me to your dealer!"

14. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

:D

I prefer to use the Calvin and Hobbes theory:

"The greatest proof that intelligent life exists is that they haven't contacted us yet."

Or the Hitchiker's Guide:

"Life in the universe cannot exist because anything divided by infinity is zero."

But there's a UFO in the Bible! I think it's in Ezekiel. He writes about how a "wheel" landed and it had multi-colored lights flashing around it, and a humanoid creature came out. It had three heads, etc.

Also, anything that is flying and cannot be identified is a UFO (projectile vomiting, unusual airplane, etc). I believe that sentient life exists somewhere else in the universe. Whether they have contacted us or if they even have space flight technology...I don't know.

15. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Damn, can't believe you beat me to Calvin's observation (Calvin & Hobbes).

Gotta say that rings true for me. Lets face it, if we are being observed from anywhere, it's understandable that we have not been contacted!

16. stargazer Gems: 5/31

I like your point Sapiryl.
    Many ancient civilizations feature the image of a winged god landing on earth and teaching them what they then adapted as their own culture. I don't know much but I think many advancements in ancient history took place a bit too rapidly so there might have been an 'external' factor.

Btw, space has NO boundaries - according to Lemaitre's theory at least. Actually, it may have but we will never be able to find out. The whole idea is unconceivable by human mind. People always try to find the beginning and the end but universe tricks us every time. I like to believe it's infinite and I will always believe this until someone proves me wrong. Maybe I could be an astronomer and prove myself wrong...hmmm

17. [​IMG] I was 4 years old. We lived on a farm in the rural Mississippi, 10-12 miles away from even a small town, 1 mile away from any neighbors.

I had already gone to bed when I heard dad come in from his farm chores, which often went far past dark. Mom came into my room and scooped me up, putting me on her shoulder. Dad was telling her about something in the sky, and Mom was sort of arguing about showing it to me, but out we went into the yard.

It was very dark outside, no night-lights or light pollution of any kind in the early 70's. There was little wind, and it was cold and dry.

I turned around in her arms to see a ball of dim fire, three times the diameter of a full moon, looming overhead. It moved slowly, soundlessly in my memory, to the west. In a zig-zag fashion behind it was a thin white trail, like someone had taken a pen and written across the sky with a trembling hand. It extended back (from where it had come?) towards the north east.

The next day, I remember asking more questions about it and hearing that people in the nearest town, Prentiss, had seen the "tail" of this object, but not the object itself. Upon reflection, this makes the altitude of the object fairly low.

I grew interested in phenomina like this as I grew up and put a telescope together, stayed up and watched meteor showers, comets, and so forth. I have seen little lights scurrying across the sky, very bright meteors (even one that made a noise!), but nothing that approaches what I saw that night.

Yes, it might have been a weather balloon. But so low? So large?

I do not believe there are aliens out there; I tend to think this is a good example of our imagination playing tricks on us, or possibly something more malevolent trying to distract us from true reality.

Perhaps I was abducted and implanted with that last paragraph. Dirty aliens.

bgp

18. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Yeah, I have a casual interest in Ufology because I like my imagination to be stirred and I like the mystery. Here in MO there is a region to the South with what have become known as the Joplin lights, after Joplin MO right on the state line with OK. I wanted to go and see them but haven't been able to, and the highway patrol cruises regularly to keep people from just hanging out (and drinking beer) waiting to see the lights. They have been studied by the Army Corps of Engineers and several other academics to no avail as to an explanation. It is a real mystery, and the lights are punctual, they arrive every evening at around midnight and travel a certain path.
    Some scientists claim the "dancing lights" are the result of geo-thermal activity or the result of intense pressure between rock surfaces resulting in Plasma, showing as lights that fly out from the source of pressure. This still doesn't explain the punctuality in the lights appearance, but the plasma producing conditions have been reproduced in a lab resulting in discharges of light. As far as in MO, the site of the lights is very distant from the Madrid Fault, a fault b/t plates responsible for the development of the "Ozark Mountains".
    What I find particularly interesting are the reports of solid objects with distinct boundaries flying or floating, with often little or no sound. Across the Miss. river in a town called Millstadt, IL, there have been such sightings of craft with lights on the exterior flying over the town. There are several witnesses in different regions, including law enforcement officers. This was the sighting the Discovery channel made a documentary out of.
    I don't knmow what they are and neither does anyone else. Its fun to say they are alien spacecraft, but who knows? I don't think its likely a group of people otherwise unconnected can share in a delusion or scheme to perpetrate a fraud. Its a real mystery and its fun to think about.
    UFOs are just that, unidentified flying objects, not necessarily alien spacecraft, just unidentified objects. I hope to see one someday.

19. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This is my reason why we will never be contacted by aliens:

Take Earth as a smaller, more pointless place then Wales. No species intelligent enough to be able to travel intergalactly would want to land here and give us there wisdom. I mean, image people like Bush with advanced technology.

Bush : What does this do? (presses the button)
    Aliens : NOOOOO!!!! That's the self destruct you IDOIT!!! Quick - abandon ship!!!

The only possible reason for Aliens tto come to Earth would be to make fun of ignorant strangers:

Alien : Boo, Puny Earthling!
    Baby : WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Alien : Heeheehee.
    Mother: Get away fro....ARGHHH!!!!It's an alien!!
    Alien : Heeheehee. Boo, puny female Earthling!
    Mother: ARGHHHHHHH! (Mother faints, Aliens push baby in pram down a hill, it rolls off into the distance, Aliens return to their space ship after much hilarity and Earthmen's beer)

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited May 08, 2001).]

20. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

It's easy for us to look back at ancient civilizations and come up with ideas of alien intervention. I mean just look at the egyptians, every 2 hours there is a program on tv studying these people and their connection to space. As a modern civilization we too strive to contact alien life through programs such as SETI or even through missions to planets in our own system. Is it that inconceivable that ancient civilizations would strive to do the same. We have become so far removed from ancient culture that they themselves become almost alien. What do we know of their building practices or their social and science structures? We would like to think that aliens helped them out - I myself don't think so.

As far as aliens visiting us, I think it would be a major undertaking for them. I presume they would live in the same universe as us and as such are bound to the same physical laws that we are.

As for space having no boundaries Stargazer, how do you know this? When astronomers look out at quasars, billions of light years away some believe they are seeing the edge of the universe, or to put it another way, the beginning of the universe as displayed by the big bang theory. Our minds are trained to think in 3 dimensions and therefore an object or space must have an edge. Once we weave in the time dimension and how gravity interacts with everything on a universal scale, suddenly edges and lines that we thought were straight begin to bend. Maybe if we travelled far enough and fast enough we would just end up back where we started, who knows.
    Energy and space time are just to strange, yet interesting. The whole relativity thing is strange in itself. I always wonder about a car driving away from me at 25 m/s - does the light from it's headlights travel at 3x10E8 plus 25 m/s relative to me? Weird.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.