1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Weapons Inspector: Iraq Had No WMD

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] See me gasping in mock surprise: link

But let me save time for those advocating Bush's Iraq invasion: Who cares about WMD now! He COULD revive his program SOME DAY!

Apparently, nobody cares that Bush, Powell and the entire current administration lied and misled the people either. But, of course, those are just insignificant details.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well there are still people who claims that much WMD has been found in Iraq, not here though.

I do find it a bit odd that so many are so forgiving over that and buys the explanations given all out. It is not like there was a lacking of intel and people who claimed this before the invasion. So blaming it on an intel failure doesnt seem to cut it.

However the switching of the objectives to liberation from WMD hunt and the complete and utter impact it have had on the American people is rather impressive. The administrations propagande machine did a very succesful job there, one cannot be otherwise than impressed. One might even think that it was prepared beforehand (<- just got that thought :) ).

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Okay, Tal, we get the point. You hate Bush and think he lied about this and that.

Oh well, no WMD. They've botched up the liberation - considering they didn't want to be liberated it is kind'a impossible. But at least Saddam - an obvious tyrant who most probably WOULD aquire WMD or if not him his heir (see: eldest son) - and his dynasty has been removed from power. I doubt anyone could honestly say that Saddam and his sons weren't going to cause one hell of alot of trouble in the future.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Think he lied? No, the evidence is quite plain that he and his administration did lie. Repeated claims of specific existence of WMD have been made by him and his administration. They didn't offer them as personal opinions, they called them facts. Last time I checked, advocating something as factually true, and it turning out not to be, means lying. The only apologetic attitude you can take on this issue is to say that they had bad intel - which means that they are incompetent fools, which is just as bad (or worse) than lying considering they are running the world's most powerful country and recreating the world in their image.

As for Saddam being on obvious tyrant, you know, that's funny. Africa is chock full of not merely tyrants, but butchers and genocidal warlords. More than 10.000 people die in Africa every month as a result of that, dozens of thousands are mutilated, crippled and raped. Interestingly enough, I don't see Bush waving a flag of liberation and sending an army to stop the mass slaughter there. And unlike in Iraq, people there are praying to God for someone, anyone, to save them. So why doesn't Bush do anything there? Oh, wait... they're missing something crucial, aren't they?

When you start advocating war and killing based on what could have happened at some point in the future, you could justify to yourself killing all of the French & Germans now to save Bush potential trouble from them in the future. But then again, I'm sure most of the war supporters wouldn't see any problems with that either...

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

However the African nations don't pose a threat to anyone but themselves. Most don't have enough money to invest in WMD. Congress wouldn't accept sending troops into any country unless there was a percieved or (at least now it seems) potential threat.

However the intel was constantly refused permission to inspect Iraq for weapons until the UN demanded it. The presence of any dely often means someone has someting to hide and Iraq wasn't exactly co-operating with the searchers. To call a leader a fool because his intel was inccorect is in itself foolish. How many layers do you want in that department? You'd be approaching something along the lines of SS or NKVD if you had people monitoring the people monitoring the intelligence. I'm certain you don't want a country where organisations such as that exist everywhere because that's where the power will end up.

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, I can, undoubtly, say that Saddam and his sons were not going to cause a lot of trouble in the future. Not compared to Israel, not compared to USA.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    They pose just as much a threat to anyone else as Saddam did. He didn't have any WMD either. With the important difference that Saddam didn't kill 10.000 people a month, or mutilate several times as many.

As for refusing permissions, please tell me how many countries in the world would allow the US inspectors to snoop around just because they wanted to? The US certainly wouldn't allow any inspectors to check up on their WMD programs. The UN had inspectors in Iraq (Hans Blix ring a bell?), but the US told the world that even though they didn't find anything, the US intelligence has satellite pictures etc. of WMD, which were sufficient proof for them not to need any confirmation on actual existence of the said WMD. Of course, their "solid proof" turned out to be either made up, or collected by "experts" who didn't know what they were doing. Letting Bush off the hook and just blame bad intel astounds me.

According to your theory, no leader could ever be held accountable for any of his actions, provided he could find someone to take the blame for it. I think most reasonable people would find a problem with that... Bush started the war in Iraq based on the premise that Saddam had WMD (yes, and some other things, but WMD was given to the world as the main reason). Considering this turned out to be false, he should take responsibility for the false claims. Regardless of whether the "evidence" of WMD existing had been faked, or a result of bad intel, I hold Bush responsible.

Not that I'm deluding myself that he'll ever come near taking any responsibility, since no one really responsible got anywhere near a trial over Abu Ghraib either, but it should at least be enough for the American people to know that they've been conned and not let Bush do it for another 4 years.

Or maybe I'm the weird one, expecting honesty, integrity and responsibility in the president of the US. Silly me, indeed.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Was it bad intel, or weak intel spun to support what Bush wanted to do all along? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but my gut feeling (and therefore completely unsupportable by a long string of well-substantiated references) is that the invasion of Iraq has been a goal of the whole Bush clan for a long, long time and they weren't about to let a golden opportunity pass by for something as lame as the TRUTH.

Too bad all this is going to get lost in the meaningless fog of crap swirling around each candidate's former military service. Also, the next time Bush accuses Kerry of filp-flopping, someone should ask him about this:
    fast-forward...

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Now, I'm no Bush fan, but this simply isn't true. The fact is, there's no need for anyone to "check up on" the U.S. WMD program, because everything we do with WMD (mostly their destruction over the past 10 years or so, and continuing for another 10 years or so) is part of the public record. Any U.S. citizen can access where we have our WMD, how much we have, what type, etc. Now, you can't go in with a video camera and start filming the interior of the facility, but you can request video tapes of what types of weapons are inside, and all of the destruction missions are taped as well.

Another interesting thing is that most of Europe is getting rid of thier WMD stockpiles as well, using - you guessed it - U.S. developed technology. So it's really not fair to say the U.S. wouldn't want people snooping around, because they make no pretense to hide what they have in the first place. They are destroying their WMD stockpile and sharing their successful technologoies with Europe (for free I might add) so that they can do the same.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bush: “Here ya go, Germany – technology to destroy your WMD’s. And its FREE!”
    Germany: “Um, OK, but are you destroying your WMD’s too?”
    Bush: “Sure we are. And we have the video to prove it.” *snicker*
    Bush (whispers to an aide): “You’re sure that video editting software works properly, right?”
    Aide: “Oh yeah, Chief, no problem-o!”
    Germany: “Well OK then, I guess we’ll start destroying ours.”
    Bush (quietly imitating Bart Simpson): “Suck-er!”

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :p

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Um...destorying their WMD... right... Forgive me, but isnt Bush trying to CREATE WMD? you know the ones... the mini-nukes, or bunker busters. Oh wait...they're mini. Sorry, almost mistook a mini-nuke for WMD there.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Takara

I should have been more specific. There was a Chemical Weapons Convention held somewhere around 1997 in which over 200 countries signed on to destroy all their stockpiles of chemical weapons. Of interest here, even though over 200 signed, Iraq was NOT one of them. Many European countries as well as the U.S. had not used chemical weapons for years, but had large amounts held in storage - many as old as WWI era chemical weapons. The U.S. had by far the most chemical weapons and therefore they were the ones who have spent the most in figuring out what to do with the stuff.

All I can tell you is this: The U.S. and nearly all of the world signed on to detroy their chemical weapons. The U.S. and the majority of European countries have also agreed to do this with their biological agents. However, AFAIK, no one is dismantling thier nuclear weapons programs. I'm not in the development side of the house, so I don't know anything about the mini-nukes.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Please tell me you're joking...

- Ragusa #1
    - Ragusa #2

I'll send him a link to this thread so he can enlighten you further...

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Try Fahrenheit 200.000.000 ° to learn some more about the Bush administration's determination to ... pummel on treaties and to cut back inspections.

That is actually what they refused - inspections to verify the US staying to the Biological Weapons Convention and the Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty. The Bush administration is openly hostile to any form of arms control treaties, while demanding them for the 'rogue states".

The US seriously tell Iran that they have to allow inspections while developing new nukes of their own and refuse inspections. Sure thing.

And besides, even in the US not everything is done on the record, there were some goodies like ... oops ... unaccounted for anthrax or the stuff that was found on a former US bioweapons research site in virginia (can't retrieve the link atm) - the sort of thing that would bring you into trouble when inspections occur. Saddam could tell you a thing or two on that.

[ September 18, 2004, 14:40: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The thing is, the US is not obligated under the NPT not to develop new nukes, or to submit to inspections, Iran is.

Under the NPT, the US is obliged to not transfer nuclear weapons or technology to a non-nuclear country. Non-nuclear countries are obliged (if they signed the treaty of course) to not develop nuclear technology, and are required to submit to inspections to make sure they are not.

If you don't like the terms of the NPT, fine, but don't act like you're surprised.

[ September 18, 2004, 22:41: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

16. Register Gems: 29/31

Hmm, didn't know the rules, and now that I do, I must say, they are pretty dumb. Hope that a system failure make all USA's nukes haywire and just vaporize, not killing anyone, but removing any proof that the USA ever had nukes, including all science reports. Because of that, the USA will never be allowed to develop nukes, and if they even have some small clue that they try to, we bomb them.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh. Then I guess all the world leaders who developed and signed the treaty (including Sweden) were dumb then.

18. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Is there a link for this NPT that will explain the sanity in saying 'We can have these and you cannot'?

I would like to understand the logic behind this.

19. Register Gems: 29/31

Yup, very idiotic of them.
    Not the biggest patriot in the world, you see.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    We're going off topic here, so I'll try to be brief. You can look it up pretty easily to read about it; I don't know if there's a site to explain its sanity though. I think you could figure it out if you thought about it.

Basically, the NPT is the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. So its purpose is to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons around the world to countries that don't already have them.

So. Basically the five countries that already had them (US, UK, USSR, France and China) agreed in the treaty not to give nuclear weapons or technology to non-nuclear countries. The other countries that signed it agreed not to develop or acquire nuclear weapons and are required to give the IAEA routine access to facilities that have nuclear materials for peaceful means to be sure they are not being diverted to weapons development.

Oh, and Caleb, we're talking about something like 185 countries who are signatories...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.