1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Has One of the Highest Infant Mortality Rates?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, May 9, 2006.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I must say - when I read this headline, I was like..."What?" :confused:

Linky
    Anyone have any ideas that explain that? Because given our health care system and overall quality of life, I find this baffling.

edit: hat tip to BTA.

[ May 09, 2006, 21:05: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think you meant either highest mortality rate or lowest survival rate... Lowest mortality rate doesn't make sense with the content :)

Seems pretty strange to me too...

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know. There's a lot of unwanted pregnancies among the lower income sections of the US (the study specifically listed blacks as having a VERY high rate -- I think this is more indicative of income level than race). When a child is not wanted, care is not taken to safeguard the child from SIDS or 'accidents.'

Our health care is only as good as a person can afford. Health care for the poor is substandard. I believe the countries with socialized medicine should have a significantly better system overall.

Another factor could be drug use. Babies born addicted have a fairly high mortality rate.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Isn't there a significant proportion of the population though who don't have access to good healthcare? The whole rich/poor divide.

Things like this make you appreciate the NHS much more.

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It makes a certain amount of sense. Unhealthy people are more likely to have unhealthy babies.

Low birthweight is the biggest cause of infant death in the US. Many of the biggest causes of low birthweight are related to an unhealthy lifestyle by the mother.

In the US we have a population which is less healthy than, say, in Japan. The average life expectancy in Japan is higher than in the US. The reasons aren't because of health care delivery as much as they are because folks in Japan eat healthier - on average.

The US actually has better life exepctancy for low birthweight babies than pretty much anyone but the US has a higher percentage of low birthweight babies so the US has more infant deaths.

On the other hand, poor folks sometimes/often get worse health care than rich folks sometimes/often get. I don't think there is denying that.

Low income mothers are statistically less likely to be healthy than high income mothers, they are less likely to have the same medical care (in any society), etc. and it adds up to a higher infant death rate and a higher rate among the disadvantaged.

That said, the title of the article is misleading. The US is "last" artificially since they are tied with the UK for 10th out of about 200 nations.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Poor people 1) have worse healthcare, 2) are more likely to have children. So with a large income divide and no humane healthcare without fat insurance...

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It absolutely comes down to the healthcare system. The high mortality rate among babies in the U.S. has been present for years. This study is recent, but I've seen similar studies from over a decade ago that basically said the same thing - that the U.S. is among the worst of INDUSTRIALIZED nations.

The highest infant mortality rates are in Africa, but there it is because of substandard hospitals and care being given. In the U.S. it is because about 1 in 5 Americans have no health insurance, which means (assuming equal distribution) that 1 in 5 pregnant women are getting little or no care during their pregnancy.

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Also with poverty comes poor education. With poor education, I suppose, comes a lack of awareness of things such as a healthy diet. Malnourished mothers dont exactly improve the chance of survival for those unborn/newborn either, I'd wager, since the child feeds through its mother.
    Never mind that the lower classes probably cannot afford the quality food stuff anyway.

9. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Access to healthcare is only part of the equation and, according to an older Congressional Budget Office Study that was done under Clinton, not the largest part of the problem.

According to that study, there are a few bigger problems:

1. a definitional problem - the US is more likely to include very premature babies in its infant mortality rate than some other industrialized nation. This will bump up the US' numbers relative to others.

2. there is a higher percentage of unhealthy babies born in the US than in some other nations. More unhealthy babies mean more deaths.

You add those factors inequal access to health care for some segments in society and you get a higher rate.

And, I think that Americans have more unhealthy babies isn't surprising since Americans lead a less healthy lifestyle than folks in other places - on average.

10. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Does anybody know where to find the UK infant mortality rate?

11. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Shell, for what it's worth - from the CIA World Factbook

5,08 deaths/1.000 live births

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.