1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Casualties Per War - Keep the Current War in Perspective

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] As Coalition forces fight and die in the War against Saddam, it is important to keep in mind how these numbers reflect wars of the past.

Here are the statistics of U.S. casualities per war. In many cases, these numbers will be far too low. These do not reflect the brave British soldiers that were lost in World War II. Or, for that matter, the soldiers lost by other nations fighting evil.

In the case of World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Gulf War, this might be helpful to show how many soldiers America have lost fighting for others.

• Revolutionary War: 4,435
    • War of 1812: 2,260
    • Mexican War: 13,283
    • Civil War: 558,052
    • Spanish-American War: 2,446
    • World War I: 116,708
    • World War II: 407,316
    • Korean War: 33,651
    • Vietnam War: 58,168
    • Gulf War: 293
    It should be noted that in World War I and II, European civilian and military casualties were massive. :cry:

This war, as far as Americans are concerned, just like World War II. Saddam is a Hitler. Just as evil. Just as ready to murder civilians for his own whim.

[ March 24, 2003, 12:17: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Meaby so, but Bush is ready to murder both civilians and soilders for his and the rest of America sake.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Again the word "evil" is used, are you that blind for a fellow human? (P.S. : Before a smartguy comes up, I was asking not judging >P )

Power corrups, if you were in Saddams shoes, you would have done the same...

So before you judge a person (I prefer we don't), walk a mile in his shoes.
    So that when you judge him, you're a mile away AND have his shoes :spin:

4. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

Like test chemical weapsons on Kurdish civilians? Like torturing children to make their parents obey?

I don't think so.

5. Morgoth

Media:
    Yes you would, if you were him from start to finish, raised in the same environment as him, had the same parents, tutors, etc..

A man (or woman) is made by his environment, we are just a mirror of our environment..

6. Kiranos Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well you can't be to objective... First it was America that helped Saddam to become a dictator, then they funded him with guns. smuggled in those "chemical weapsons" you were talking about. been bombing Iraq for years and years.

And how did the war on iraq start again? we believe they are harboing terrorist, and now "Operation Iraqi Freedom" what happend to the terrorists? did they just wake up one day thinking that it will make a bigger impact to tell the world "we will free the Iraqi people" "no more weapon of massdestruction" there are so many lies and so much propaganda one might become insane just trying to understand the motives this war really has.

7. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] As far as Americans see it:

1. Saddam has used bio/chem weapons on civilians. This makes him dishonorable and evil - just like the murder-bombers in Israel.

2. He funds terrorism. Specifically murder-bombers in Israel.

3. He wants to destroy the United States.

Therefore,

Just like Bin Laden, he will strike. He will attempt to inflict casualities upon American civilians. As a result, he is a threat. If he is not removed, we will be attacked.

This is why the war is seen as defensive by Americans. We learned from 9-11 that if evil is ignored - it will grow with dire consequences.

This war is an extension of the War of Terrorism. It won't be the last campaign either.

8. Kiranos Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

No offence, but you are buying every bit of information America has to sell, true or not…

Bin Laden didn’t know much of the 11 September terrorist attack. He learned about it just a couple of weeks before its execution. (Correct me if I’m wrong here?) An attack as big as this requires years of planning. Everyone need a scapegoat just to feel safe again, Bin Laden was already on the FBI top 10 most wanted list and was known as an hater of America. You do the math… If it really was him planning the whole thing do you think US would de prioritise his capture. Wouldn’t he do it again?

Just a couple of questions that needs answering

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Morgoth - then why not walk a mile in Blackhawk's shoes? Then you'll know where he's coming from. After all... environment dictates behavior.

On topic - a death is a death. I don't care if you're sacrificing ten or ten million American men (and women) to fight for a cause the nation (or its leaders) has dicatated as right. When you make a sacrifice, it's a sacrifice. If we lost ten million people tomorrow (we being the U.S.), it would not make the situation any more right or wrong.

I understand that the American was shaking Saddam's hand (figuratively) at the same time he was doing horrible atrocities. Which U.S. government? The Bush administration?

[EDIT: no sarcasm was intended. I am undecided in the case of war, to be serious.]

[ March 25, 2003, 01:41: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Morgoth, Saddam's history excuses the fact he tortures and kills people? That at his orders his regime rapes women in front of their families as punishment is excused because of Saddam's bad home life? I'm all for "judge not lest ye be judged" in normal, everyday circumstances, but that's ridiculous!

11. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Donald Rumsfeld.It is a picture taken in 1980

[ March 25, 2003, 00:01: Message edited by: BOC ]

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Nice picture of good old friends.

I bet the Iraqis didn't forget about the tight relationship between the U.S. and Saddam.

13. Morgoth

Media:
    Dapera :p

naah

Depaara, I totally didn´t say "excuse" his actions, he is a danger to us, and therefor should be removed..

But I merely ask people to stop saying evil, the only evil person is Murray from Monkey Island :spin:

So you only follow the teachings of Jesus when it is in your benefit, :hmmm:

If you wanna reply, start a new topic :)

Please, read my WHOLE first post before you start ranting again :p

[ March 25, 2003, 14:12: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

14. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

And you aren't buying all the propaganda Europe has to sell?

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Blackhawk, I hope you do know that the US has the largest stockpile of Bio and chemical weapons, does that make them evil. And I was Daddy Bush who sold the WMDs when Iraq attacked Iran. And it was the CIA who trained Osama and his soldiers during the cold war to oust Russia out of Aghganistan. So the real evil here is the US, they can't control what they have created.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hephaestus,
    I don't think so, I guess general doubt is a very healthy thing nowadays. You, for example, should't distrust anything that comes from europe as "counter propaganda".

The US are at war. Their PR of their campaign is remarkable effective. Never before has propaganda been so intense and controlled in a war. The climate of PCness assists that and prohibits anti-war critic in public by social sanctions (anti-war artists don't get played on the radio; their movies aren't shown ...) or, simply, by ingoring them ... or make a band play music when they raise their voice ... The military doesn't need censorship because society implements that volunteeringly; they only need to filter what you see from the warzone. Knowing that info is filtered IMO suggests scepticism as a reaction.

I vividly remember the Gulf War I propaganda, namely an episode that iraqi soldiers in kuwait took infants from breed boxes, letting them die, to bring this hospital equipment to iraq. After war it pointed out that this bit was fake, invented by a NY PR agency working for the kuwaiti gvt, after a poll what western societies despise most: crimes against kids. And from my moms reaction ("Oh my god!") I know that it worked, as blunt as it was ...

You do remember that Rumsfeld wanted to create a Center for Strategic Influence and only stopped because of massive critcism in the US? A nice satire about that episode here :shake: There is the saying "The first victim of war is the truth".

Europe has the advantage of distance. Not every voice from here is antiamerican and evil, we just see things from a different perspective :heh: :)

[ March 25, 2003, 15:19: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.