1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tsunami Donations, Brits Put Rest To Shame

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    OK I know it's not a competition but you'd have thought Saudi Arabia, the US and others would have contributrd far more.

KEY AID PLEDGES

World Bank $250m
    UK $96m
    EU $44m
    US: $35m
    Canada: $33m
    Japan: $30m
    Australia: $27m
    France: $20.4m
    Denmark: $15.6m
    Saudi Arabia: $10m

Source: Reuters, United Nations

[ January 03, 2005, 14:55: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:toofar: I'd have thought the US would have donated more but I guess they have their priorities right.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While I'm sure that the U.S. will increase it's contribution, I'm a bit surprised that they seem to be a bit slow out of the gate.

And just to pick a nit - combing all of the EU nations into one is a bit misleading. It would be like combining the U.S. and Canada under one heading of North America. Or combining Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England under the heading UK (...oops!)

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Splunge as you can probably see they do not mean the EU as a nation or as a coalition of nations. The EU there represents EU as an institution and the institution has donated that sum of money. Why else did you think that they had UK, France and Denmark all of them separately on the list?

5. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

This really shouldn't be a multinational pissing contest.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Check the news people!

CNN

Puts the english to shame doesn't it?

Oh and we dutch donated more than the french but you didn't inlude us.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Did China donate anything?

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Apeman - :lol:

Although I think Slith is right on this one; how much a country donates and who puts who to shame isn't a big deal; the countries and their peole that need help are what matters.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Morgoroth - well, thanks for re-affirming that I'm a moron. :heh:

@Slith:
    Without a doubt, that is the most intelligent thing said thus far in this thread.

[ January 02, 2005, 23:20: Message edited by: Splunge ]

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm sure I said exactly the same thing in the first sentence of my post...

I was just making a point. Thing's like this are all relative. Surely the worlds richest countries should be contributing the most? No?

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't care who donates the largest sum of money, what bugs me is that some nations refused the aid of Israel, which to me seems like they hate the Jews more than they care about their own people. Sickening.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd like to echo Slith's opinion on this matter. Every country should donate what it can afford to donate, not try to simply 'out-do' the other nations. No country is more generous by the more it can afford to donate to the cause.

Money is nice but what the countries really need is simple aid and the establishment of roadways and communication. Personell would be far more useful than just throwing money at the problem.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Norway gave 50 million kroners. Not sure what that is in pounds but our whole country has a population of 5 milions so , per citizen its more than most others.

And we are going to give alot more , the foreign minister said so on TV today.

Just for the record

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't have much to give. All I can give right now is to ask this question.

Are there anybody here in Sorcerer's Forum who had lost somebody in the "SE Asia Tsunami Tragedy"?

My condolences and may the Lord grant you comfort.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am extremely proud to announce that Belfast alone has raised £500,000 with their annual 'Black Santa' charity:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4140043.stm

My home town of Lisburn has raised £250,000 which is great considering how small my town is.

Please note Splunge that N.Ireland is part of the UK while Eire is not.

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    From a purely real politik point of view, it'd be in America's interest to up its donation to oh, say, a billion.

Winning the hearts and minds and all that.

[/cynicism]

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Its supposed to be about helping the victims not trying to look good.

18. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I think Bush has no budget for this kind of thing because he spends it all on the war-effort...

For you who didn't get it: this was cynical.

On-topic: I couldn't agree more with Slith. WTF does it matter who donates the most money? It's about those people who lost everything in there lives, including the people they loved. Just stand a moment and think about this, losing EVERYTHING and EVERYONE...

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    I was gonna say, imagine how much help and donations could have been given if Britain and America weren't spending so much on killing people in Iraq.

And you have completely missed the point there Drugar, with that second comment.

20. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Barmy Army: could you elaborate that? I'm missing that point for certain..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.