1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trying to RPG after BG 2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Good Thoughts, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Good Thoughts Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi everyone. I am having a difficult time finding an RPG to play after having played BG 2. I am trying to get into NWN but cannot get past the lessening of character interaction and the "NPC that doesn't want my help" kind of thing in regards to inventory and action.

I keep playing BG 2 over and over again. Can any of you folks prescribe a cure? I haven't tried Morrowind. Could that help? The Baldur's Gate stuff for the PS2 is not even remotely what I am looking for. I am not a hack and slash gamer. Many thanks.

Keep thinkin those good thoughts.

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

morrowind can be roleplayed as many times as you wish because there are tons of classes and the map for the game is huge. You can interact with almost any NPC, and there are ****loads of quests. but IMHO you have too much freeroam.

3. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

3 answers for you, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2, and Arcanum.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I suggest pen and paper D&D. Or at least the seemingly cool new ToEE.

5. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'd advise against the Fallouts and Arcanum if you don't like NWN's NPCs. Although they're all great RPGs, the NPCs are largely independent. Torment, on the other hand, has deep storyline and NPC interaction PLUS BG-style party management.

6. Jschild Gems: 8/31

Yes, they do have less NPC (that joins your party), they far exceed virtually any other RPG on the market in terms of story and character interaction.

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Fallout 2 rules in every aspect. That is one of the only games in the world with hundreds of different endings, thousand of choises and only a few things you "have" to do and a few places you "have" to enter.

Also, you can finish the game without killing a single enemy by yourself, and only enter one single battle all over the game or if you want, you can go and kill everyone you meet if that pleases you and still complete the game.

8. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you don't try Planescape: Torment you will miss the greatest RPG ever made. It's better than even BG2, that alone should make you want to play it :)

9. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

:nono: Now that is just a lie. Nothing beats BG2. Not even Planescape: Torment.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually - it does, narrowly.

NN - have you played PS:T?

11. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Only a small part actually :o . I played some at my friend's and he sucked at it. Hmm, got to get that game soon. I still say nothing beats BG 2 though.

12. Jschild Gems: 8/31

Actually you mean, nothing you have played beats BG2, PS:T beats it easily by far in terms of story, though its not an intensive action game like BG or BG2.

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

morrowind has tons of endings from what my cousin told me... i played for three months and never managed to beat the damned thing, fun game though, but i dont like the fighting style and the way that they factor how much a chance of succes a spell has

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] From what I have seen of Morrowind it's good

Morrowind, PS:T, BG2, IWD2, Black & White, Neverwinter Nights...

I *really* need a new PC...

15. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Black and white isn't really an RPG in the way that the others you just listed are. It's ok for a little while but the actual 'missions' are pretty stupid - though it is fun to be able to throw people around the world :evil:

16. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] You are talking to someone who can roleplay Age of Empires :p

17. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Morrowind is an excellent game...but I simply cannot condone the battle system. First Person? Yuck.

NWN isn't really that bad, although it does not live up to BG2's legendary awesomeness.

Definitely play PS:T. In terms of story, it beats BG2 hands down. Gameplay-wise, however, BG2 wins out.

18. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Roleplaying after BG2 is hard, because BG2 was nearly perfect. Morrowind is still better.

@Shura: You can change the view to 3rd person view in Morrowind. The daedric dai-katana in it is cool. Melee weapons work better in 3rd person view.

@Good Thoughts
    Try Morrowind. It's the 3rd best RPG i've played.
    (after PS:T and BG2:Soa+Tob)

19. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@Taza: You can't aim where your sword is hitting in 3rd person view, IIRC. Do enlighten me on how to do that. I really would like to play this game.

20. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Just hit to somewhere there. If your skill is high enough, you can hit without problems. Hitting in 3rd person is hard to learn, but it's worth it. (It looks really cool) What type of weapons do you use?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.