1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Troubles with Windows NT 4 Workstation

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, May 20, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

While I was quietly reinstalling Win2k on my mother's comp today, my CD simply exploded in the drive. I recently made an installation of Win NT 4 Workstation, and with my 2K cd busted, I'm stuck with NT, along with it's share of problems.

First, when I try to install my video driver, I get the following error message:

That was quite the eyebrow-raising, eye-rolling thing since I'm logged in as Administrator.

*EDIT* Wrong driver. I installed the correct one, but everytime I start Windows, I roll back to "VGA compatible graphics".

Next, I can't hook Windows NT on the internet because of some obscure problem with my network card. It's detected, it's installed, but it just doesen't work. I'm supposed to need info on the proxy, and some other crap.

Then, to make things worst, USB won't work! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've upgraded to SP6a, and it made no damn difference whatsoever. I thought maybe installing the chipset drivers would solve the problem... but the damn chipset is covered with a heatsink I cannot remove, so I have no damn idea of the model of the damn chipset! Grrr...

Oh, and also, NT shares my hard drives without even asking my opinion.

Anyone has some idea how to solve one of those problems?

[ May 20, 2006, 07:50: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Regarding the network card, if you want to make sure something is installed properly under NT, you have to use the Add Hardware Wizard. Remove the Network Card from the list in Device Manager, and then add it with Add Hardware Wizard using the latest NT driver.

Regarding the USB thingy, Windows NT does not support USB natively.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q196661/

You can, however, get some decent non-M$ solutions elsewhere, but they may or not work, depending on your chipset. Check here for some info:

http://www.everythingusb.com/windows_nt.html

The hard disks being shared rings a bell, but I'll have to check it first. I think it's got to do with allowing other users of the same PC to have access to the disks without having to specify that when creating their accounts. Windows XP and 2000 also show the "C" drive and the Printers folder as shared in Computer Management, even if you are not sharing anything in the network.

3. Disciple of The Watch

BAH! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I FINALLY get my DAMN network card to work properly... only to find out the program to hook the Internet is INCOMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS NT!!! (It's supposed to work in Win95, and programs compatible with 95 are usually compatible with NT, no?)

I give up. I'm asking my friend for his ME CD monday. Windows NT has triumphed over me.

My teacher said we have a chance on a million to ever work with NT. I now know why. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    ME is as about as bad as NT, same incompability problems, crashing drivers, etc.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You've really picked up what are probably MS's worst 2 version of their operating system...

If memory serves NT's actually older than 95 (either that or both were being developed independently and in parallel), so you've got no guarantee of compatibility whatsoever (not that you ever have a guaranteed backward compatibility between any of the Windows versions... the only exception being 95-98-ME, which were basically the same thing anyway).

Really, if you don't or can't install XP, or the system is too slow or doesn't have enough RAM for XP, the only other decent versions of Windows are 2000 and 98SE. 98SE is far more stable (read: less of a catastrophe) than ME, but if you go for 98SE you may run into problem with drivers, unless your system is 1999 or older, at which point things should work fine. If you can get your hands on 98SE it's really the only viable option to 2000/XP (95, 95B, ME and the initial release of 98 are all major disasters, so save yourself the headaches and stay away from them)

6. Disciple of The Watch

Well, I have no problems with 2k, but like I said, it's too heavy on my P3, which would badly need RAM, but guess what, the memory in it is RDRAM (or Rambus) and that ****ing memory is EXPENSIVE!

Basically, that machine is:

P3 600 Mhz
    128 MB RDRAM
    10 gigabytes hard drive

I've thought about ME because I've worked with it at school, and it performed decently well; and as for Win98, it's what was on my machine prior to installing 2k. I have my video driver, and my sound driver is included in Windows (My sound card is an old ISA), so I don't think there would be driver problems.

Another point in favor of ME is that I can get it pretty easy - a buddy of my bro has it, and would be willing to lend it to me.

Sounds like it'll be ME.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Well, it is done, I've installed ME. Already I can see my PC breathing in relief of having a lighter OS on it. ME has been working great so far, I haven't had any problems with drivers... it's good, but is that the calm before the storm...?

8. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Windows ME... Aargh!

I worked at Internet - gaming cafe wich had 40 comps for customers use. And every each of them had ME installed. Troubles and extra work that piece of s**t OS caused... I became allergic to ME.

I decided then I would use M$ related stuff as little as I could. And to pay for them even less...

On the otherhand Win2000 & and Xp are good OS:s though. (atleast at MS standards)

But DoTW, those are only my personal experiences, ME might work well on you.

9. Disciple of The Watch

I heartily agree for Win2k. Truly a great OS, but sadly, it was too heavy for my system. I lack the RAM to boost performances, and the memory in my system is RDRAM (or Rambus). RDRAM= :money:

ME works great... so far. We'll see how smooth things go. I've put a few of my contacts on the hunt for RDRAM, if ME proves to be a piece of crap. Time will tell, I guess.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.