1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toshiba vs Dell laptop specs...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, so I was wandering the halls of my work, and I found a flyer that says that we get a discount on Toshiba's laptops. So considering that PC World gave the Satellite P105-S921 two thumbs up for specs *and* price/value, I decided to check it out...but I have a few questions.

• The Satellite P105-S921 comes with an nVidia Go 7600 GS with 256MB RAM. Where does this mobile video card stand with the other mobile cards?
    • Also, it comes with the Intel Core Duo: T2400 (1.83GHz) CPU. I haven't had time to keep up to date with current CPU technology, but how would this Intel CPU compare to my current 3.06GHz Pentium 4? In principle, the T2400 runs at 3.66GHz, which is a bit faster than my current CPU, but GHz isn't the only speed factor anymore...so how else is this CPU *better*?
    • I like my laptop to be quiet unless I'm playing games, but with these two high end components, are the fans going to need to be blaring at high speeds even if there is a minimal-average load?
    • And finally, how is Toshiba's quality? To be honest, I've never owned a Toshiba product, so I have nothing to go on here.
    I've basically narrowed it down to either building a desktop PC for around the same price (with different specs) or get a laptop as a 2nd computer...this laptop is one of two that I'm considering, the other being a beefed up Dell E1505.

Speaking of the Dell laptop...it comes with the choice of either the: 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™ or the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™Go 7300 TurboCache video cards. All prejudice aside, which card *out performs* the other? The nVidia card cost $30 more, so there isn't a definite "this card is better" option. :rolling:

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Are there any practical reasons why you would want another laptop over a desktop? In other words, how important is portability to you?

3. Kitrax

Media:
    Harby, once you've owned a laptop, it's hard to go back to a desktop when the speed/price difference is so minimal theese days. The main reason I want another computer is so I can take one with my to school and/or work and still have one for Jessica to use while I'm gone.

If I get a new laptop, I'll take that while leaving our old laptop at home...but if I get a desktop, I'll still be have to take the old laptop. :p

What is really comes down to is: yes we need another computer, but if I get a new laptop, I get to take the new one with me! :D :rolling:

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Is it? I thought you still got much more bang for your buck from a desktop. We've got a Dell laptop but I am pretty sure that our next one will be a desktop, but not if you're saying that there is not much advantage to a desktop any more.

6. Kitrax

Media:
    Ummm...geeze! :eek: I think I'll pass on the Toshiba laptop... :bad:

You do! You get more sheet metal, more plastic, more fans, more noise, and a lot less space on your desk! :p :rolling:

7. Harbourboy

So, desktops are seriously no longer any better than laptops (for the same price)? Why would anyone buy a desktop then?

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Well, my laptop has serious overheating issues. It's a lot easier for desktops to keep cool (more space to recirculate air, basically) and keep running at their full potential for longer. Besides, with TFT screens de rigeur nowadays, it's not like that much desktop real estate is compromised if you go for a tower unit, and I'd rather have to deal with that than the ususal issue of my computer shutting down at an annoying time and losing a long period of gameplay.

9. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Kitrax

I recommend you purchase a new desktop. You will be getting more for your money. Yeah you are stuck with your old labtop, but do you really need a more powerful labtop than what you are using right now? If not I would go the desktop route.

You can buy a budget PC with all fixings for $500 at Wal-mart. Here are the stats from the PC for $500 at Wal-mart.

AMD Athlon 3200
    512 DDR RAM
    100 GB Hard Drive
    DVD RW Drive
    DVD ROM
    Intergraded ATI Graphic Card
    17" CRTS Monitor
    Computer Speakers

A labtop of this performance will cost you $1000 or more, so you are still getting more bang for your bucks on a desktop PC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.