1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Torment Sound clips

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Amaterasu, May 11, 2001.

1. Amaterasu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I've been wondering how I could access the sound files used in Torment, expecially the character dialogues. Is this even possible? I really wanna know, I'm getting shivers thinking about a sound theme.

"There cannot be two skies..."

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You're in luck. Someone has already done quite a bit of this for you. If you head other to Sorcerer's BG2 editors sections you will see a number of sound sets have been made from the PT dialogue. Some of these have to be downloaded as part of a whole BG2 character set though (the Morte and Ignus ones):
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors.php

If you go to the BG1 Miscellanea site you can also download a program called ACMtoWAV. This program lets you convert the ACM sound files in the game to WAV files that can be used by most sound programs and windows.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_misc.php

Although, I've just had a quick look in my PT directory and the ACM files were all music not dialogue. Oh well.
    Still with that lot, you should still be able to make a decent sound theme. Why not go the whole way and do a complete desktop theme using some of the stuff from Sorcerer's PT section. Maybe Tal would be interested in posting the finished version so that we can all share your good work.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  3. Amaterasu Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Okay, now we're making progress. However, I can't seem to listen to these wavs inside Windows-- my wav players tell me it's not a valid wav format. Am I missing a codec to play these back?

4. Amaterasu Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I am refering to the character sound sets that were mentioned in the above post =) The game can decode them, but Windows cannot. Am I missing something?

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Ok, I haven't actually downloaded the PT sound stuff but I have a couple of others that I downloaded a while back. These are showing in windows as *.wav (wav clips) files. I've just tried playing a few and they play ok in Real Player, Windows Media Player (the original one with Win 98) and the Windows sound recorder.

I guess the files must be ok if you can use them in the game so maybe it is a codec. If you try playing them while connectd to the net, doesn't the media player try to download updated codec automatically.

You might also try using real player. the latest windows media player or some other wav player.

OK forget that. I've just downloaded the Dak'kon set and am getting the same problem as you. Dohh!

Sorry I don't know what the problem is the files seem to be ok but, like yours, they refuse to play outside the game.

Maybe you could try some of the shareware sound editing programs, maybe some of them will be more flexible. Here area few sites if you're interested:
    http://www.freewareplus.com/ http://www.filemine.com/

PS, Have you tried any of the others? Maybe it's just the Dak'kon stuff.

6. Amaterasu Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I've tried it with CoolEdit 2000, and Media Player, they all say they aren't vadil waveforns. And no, not any of the other will play them back either... this is really strange. How can BG2 read these? They had to be prepared somehow...

7. Amaterasu Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Oh yea, even Media Player says it's not valid, it doesn't search for the new codec.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Amaterasu, we prefer here that people don't post messages one after another (doubles), but rather edit their original ones and append any info they might have left out, or correct them. Simply click on the pen&paper icon in your original post and edit away.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 12, 2001).]

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Amaterasu, sorry this is beyond my limited understanding (what isn't). I suggest we ask Tal if we can move this post to the 'Whatnots' forum and change the title to somthing more general like:

'Accessing Infinity Engine Sound Files'

Hopefully then we will find some technically minded person who can help solve the problem.

So Tal ot BTA can we do that please?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This one is too rooted, start a new one. But just to let you know, there has been one with the same question before and no one could answer it in detail back then either. So I doubt it'll be any different this time.

You need to get a biff stripper for the files and track down the sound files and rip them from the game data. But if you don't even have the vaguest idea what I'm talkig about, you probably shouldn't try either. In any case, you'll need TeamBG's tools, so pay them a visit at www.teambg.com

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Geez, the mistery is not so complicated guys. I thought you resolved it already, so I haven't post this before.

In package with ACM2WAV (see Slappy's link for download) is an util named WAVC.EXE.

So, you start the DOS command mode, and write for file which is in the same folder as utils i.e. "female.wav" this:
    WAVC FEMALE.WAV FEM.WAV

And the sound is converted into right form that media player can play it (it is fem.wav).

This worked for my BG2 sound files so it should work for PT too. :D

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited May 14, 2001).]

12. Amaterasu Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I redownloaded the acm2wav zip file found in the link there, and there was no file called wavc... perhaps you are thinking of somewhere else?

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Extremist, what are you going on about? In the package with acm2wav on this site is only acm2wav and nothing else.
    Send me this wavc converter if you have it, I'll include it in the package.

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ok, I'm mailing it now...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.