1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Too soon for 9/11 movies?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Death Rabbit, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Haven't made up my mind yet. There are two movies come out this year based on the events of September 11. World Trade Center from Oliver Stone, and United 93.

Something about it seems...inappropriate to me. Thoughts?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Four and a half years? That's too soon? Maybe the five year mark is magical or something. :rolleyes: I wish United 93 would have come out before the end of September '01 (though that wouldn't really be possible). I might have actually watched it if it were closer to the actual event, but now...meh. And I hadn't even heard of the WTC one, but it doesn't sound too good. United 93 might actually be decent, but it should have been released far sooner to take advantage of the emotional content.

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't see a problem with the timing. The Bali bombings are being turned into a movie, and have already been made into a mini-series, and I haven't heard a whisper of dissent about it in Australia. It happened roughly 13 months after the destruction of the WTC and the Pentagon attack.

With the extent and manner that the 9/11/01 attacks have been politically manipulated to serve questionable ends, I would have thought people would been thoroughly desensitised by now. It's still a horrendous event, certainly - but I think that the victims are done a disservice by trying to mythologise the events of that day. Whether the films will do that, I cannot say.

No, what I see as a problem is where the money and profit from these films will go. People shouldn't be able to make a buck off something like this, except to aid those it left behind.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Exactly. It is greed that I find to be deplorable. The other problem I have is when a director makes his movie so politically charged that it threatens to widen a gulf in a nation that direly needs unity (ahem, Michael Moore and Farenheit 9/11)...

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't think it's 'too soon' ethically or whatever, but it is kinda pointless. It's like remaking a movie 5 years after the original version - what's the point? The idea's fresh in people's minds still, it's not going to add much to the story we have, and they just generally couldn't make a more oomphy story than what we saw on the news as it happened. So why bother?

Gnarff - yeah, the nation needs to be united ... against Bush. That was probably more the intention, and in my mind, a generally good idea.

6. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Releasing Jarhead while soldiers are being killed in Iraq wasn't 'too soon'.

If anything, it's pretty late.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Whatever the timing, I have no interest in seeing either of them. I'll remember in my own ways.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

With Rallymama on this. Frankly I can't picture myself watching either of these. But also because I hold no real interest in the events anymore. What more is there to say about them? Nutters stole a plane, crashed it into some buildings. The end. Sorry if I ruined the plot for anyone.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, films were going to be made about it at some point or other, why not now? No point keep being to sensitive about it, or that's just a bigger victory for the nuts who were behind it.

I might go watch the film, I might not, it's no big deal to me. If everyone comes out the cinema crying after watching it, I'll probably not bother. What's the point?

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I also don't think it's too soon, but I, like others have said, have no real interest in watching the movie. I mean, you already know the plot, what happens and how it ends.

That was also the reason I didn't bother to go the Titanic a few years ago when it came out. I wouldn't surprise me if the same method used in Titanic is used in these movies. Develop some characters that you can gain some personal attachment to, then have them die in the end. I can't see spending $9 to watch a movie that I already know what's going to happen and how it's going to end.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yep, it's too soon to get any real perspective on the event. At least any that would be different than what people have been feeling for the last 5 years.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Er, Jarhead was about the first Gulf War.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Quite obviously, but I mean that they're showing a film about Iraq, when men are in Iraq, dying. If that isn't tasteless, then Sept 11th films after 5 years aren't either.

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have no desire to see a movie about it. We know what happened. I saw the crash of the second plane live on TV. Most of the rest of the movie would be fiction otherwise it would be a documentary. 9/11 was much too real to me especially as I have friends and family living in Manhattan.

15. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Dito Aldeth.
    I don't like movies based on 'history', kind of Titanic, The Aviator, etc... things you know how will end no matter the local hero.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.