1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To Mods: An Arcanum Board?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Vicsun, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] After all the talk about this game I think it deserves its own board. It's out now, and I'm off to buy it soon :). I think (hope...) that most people would agree with me.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Never heard of the game.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Vicsun, I asked Tal the same question many times before... His answer is "no". It is not d&d game.

That's about possible new kickass forum. :wail::wail::flaming:

There is something else. I HATE all forums on the net opened for Arcanum. Visit them, you'll see why...
    So I'll post EVERYTHING in THIS forum about that game - hints, tips, bugs, etc.
    Get ready for new unlimited spam-o-rama from me - until I get banned for that.

Ah, yes, today I finally got Arcanum... ;):evil:

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited September 27, 2001).]

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorcerer's Place is "Your Best (A)D&D Gaming Resource Since September 1999". Arcanum is not (A)D&D.

5. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Coulda sworn that's what Extremist just said. :heh:

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is Arcanum? (Yes I'm too lazy to search for myself; besides, Extremist needs an excuse to spam. See, now he can flame me for being such an apathetic lout, instead of answering my question. :rolleyes: Heh, love ya Extremist.)

6. Silverblade Guest

Some sort of computer game (OK you probably knew that already). I also have no clue what it is and I'm curious myself. I did see the word arcunum in the Amazon.com banner on the top of your screen. So, are these two things related?

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Well it's made by Sierra, it just came out recently I believe. Since it's made by Sierra that gives it credibility in my eyes since Sierra games and I go a long ways back :grin:. And it is supposed to mix magic with limited technology (i.e. gunpowder). Most recently I read that it has a build your own level module thing like Neverwinter Nights will have although I don't know to what extent, mabye E or anyone else who has it can emphasize. But as for a forum here on it, as BTA said in his post this is an (A)D&D gaming site. For it to be otherwise is up to Tal.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited September 27, 2001).]

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG]
    ??? Which exact game? Tetris?

I don't need excuse to spam Capstone as you already know it. Arcanum is "of steamworks and magick obscura" - spot the word MAGICK as Tal used in name of this place.

Yeeees, they are related like a cow and a make-up.

Spare me the blasphemy! NWN can't get that. Do not compare this jewel with NWN!

WHAT!!! :flaming::flaming: That does it! I withdraw my suggestion on Arcanum forum.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited September 27, 2001).]

9. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] i was tempted even more than succubi could tempt me to buy arcanum today. But 50 bucks!! groooaaaar

10. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It would be great to have an Arcanum board here. All the other Arcanum boards out there have such hideous features as signatures, pictures, and untold amounts of spamming ;) :grin:.

But as BTA and Extremist said, this is a d&d board, and so it is reasonable enough not to have a board for it.

As for the game itself, it is most certainly not made by Sierra :mad:. It is made by Troika Games. If I'm not mistaken, a large number of employees who work for Troika, worked on Fallout as well. The actual game is great fun to play too, with a great character development system.

To find out more, look at either the official site here: http://www.sierrastudios.com/games/arcanum/
    or a very good fan site here (Created by former SP news monkey, Calis :D): http://www.terra-arcanum.com/

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited September 28, 2001).]

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Usually I have patience but dang it E I asked a question. You spent so much time and emphasis on quoting everyone else and making them feel stupid that you didn't even offer anything helpful in your post. Now I'm sorry I thought Sierra *made* the game, but let's not get into technicalities here the fact is the official page leads to Sierra Studios not Troika games. Troika games??? Never Heard?... OK!

(Maybe if I speak E he will understand :mad:)

Now I asked a question, and maybe you answered it somewhere in all the insulting garbage you posted but I doubt it. You want to leave Neverwinter out of this because your biased opinion of it, even though it hasn't come out yet!?!! (You talk about blasphemy!?!?!) Well fine then, leave Neverwinter out of this. So I will formulate my question better, and maybe you OR someone else can formulate a clearer answer: Is there or is there not a world/level editor in Arcanum??? Anyone?

Geez. :rolleyes:

PS thank you Wildfire for correcting me on who is responsible for Acarnum in a civialized manner. As well as providing helpful links and info rather than quotes and insults. :)

Thank you Shura!

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited September 28, 2001).]

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Yes, there is a level editor in Arcanum.
    Don't have the patience to figure out how it works, though.

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Come on, guys! This is a AD&D site! I love to play non D&D games, but I've accepted that this site doesn't involve them. If I wonder about something in for example Might & Magic 7, I just post a post here in whatnots and hopes someone knows the answer. There are too many CRPGs out there for a site to handle all of them.

14. Vicsun Gems: 9/31

Thought it was (A)D&D. Guess I was wrong. Anyway I guess I'll have to post here about any questions and hope Extremist will asnswer (or flame :heh: ).
    Oh and for all those who want to know what the game is about, I've downloaded the manual (don't remember from where anymore...) and here is are the first few pages:

No single volume to date has yet collected all six thousand years of Arcanum’s recorded
    history. Indeed, many would argue that it is impossible to approach such a gargantuan
    subject within the covers of a single book! When I was a younger man, it was my
    burning ambition to write the definitive history of all Arcanum, but I never imagined for a moment that it was possible to do so in a simple or concise manner. Instead I labored
    for many decades, traveling from place to place in my researches, and produced no fewer
    than twenty-three detailed volumes which I dared to call “The Compleat Histories”.
    Alas, the fiery arrogance of youth!
    I now believe that compiling the entire history of Arcanum in any great detail is a task
    well beyond the reach of any one man—and what is more, it is a task which will become
    more difficult with every passing year. In my travels, I have had occasion to sift through
    many of the world’s great libraries and scriptoriums, searching always for the most
    ancient books, scrolls, and tablets which were still legible. Arcanum’s history revealed
    itself to me slowly, showing first one face and then another as I spent weeks, months, and
    even years in transcription and translation. But for every precious source document
    which had been recorded on a sturdy clay tablet, a sheaf of hammered gold, or a roll of
    soft vellum, there were a hundred papyri which were as dry and fragile as old leaves, and
    a hundred more which had half-crumbled into illegible fragments. The millennia of
    knowledge contained therein were in imminent danger of being lost forever—and in
    some cases, they were lost before I ever arrived.
    Both the elvish and dwarven races are possessed of rich oral histories, which chronicle
    events even more remote and arcane than those recorded by their scribes—but these oral
    traditions are hard to come by for those outside the appropriate race and culture, and I’ve
    rarely been privy to them. Perhaps that is best, as the line between fact and myth grows
    less clear the further one looks behind, and the transcription of oral histories is more
    properly the work of a folklorist than a historian. Whenever possible, I have always
    attempted to keep my own chronicles well-grounded in fact, erring on the side of
    discretion rather than speculation or untoward credulity; over the years I’ve found that
    it’s rather easier to believe a well-told and dramatic story that it is prove that story true!
    Lately a number of new scientific theories have been put forward as to the history of
    Arcanum’s civilized peoples. Contrary to what one may assume after reading the
    arguments of Mr. John Beddoes, it was in fact the elves and the dwarves who first
    reached what we might consider “civility”, thousands of years ago: it is from these elder
    races that the first true historical traditions can be traced. Gnomish culture appears to be
    quite a bit younger than either of these, although the lack of recorded historical
    documents made available to human researchers might be attributed to the secretive
    nature of their society. Human development, by contrast, appears to have been much
    slower: only in the last two thousand years have humans produced any significant
    cultural Art and Literature. Of course there are exceptions to these general rules--but
    prior to a few thousand years ago, most of humanity seems to have consisted of little
    more than illiterate nomadic tribes, barbarian hordes, and cave-dwelling hunter-gatherers.
    One cannot speak about the recent history of Arcanum without addressing the growing
    dichotomy between Magick and what has come to be known as Technology. My
    research has shown to me a direct correlation between the widespread use of these two
    Forces, and increased levels of societal development. Are not the elves the true
    discoverers of Magick--or, as Beddoes has suggested, the eldest children of the Magickal Age? Were the dwarves not the fathers of the Technological tradition, centuries before
    the advent of Mr. Bates and his steam engines? Humans, it seems, have now inherited
    the scientific legacy of the dwarves—and does it not appear that we are now poised for
    what might be called a Golden Age of cultural expansion and hegemony?
    This simple volume, in painting a clear picture of the past, might also shed some light on
    what we can expect in the years to come. A wise man once said that those who do not
    study history are doomed to repeat it; to this I will add that Today’s “future” is simply
    Tomorrow’s “history” waiting to be born. I also believe that if we are to have any clear
    notion of where we are going, we must know from whence we have come, and what has
    gone before us. It is to this end that I have condensed all I know of Arcanum into a
    single volume, which I hope will find favor with readers from all walks of life.

[This message has been edited by Vicsun (edited September 28, 2001).]

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Bah! Spare me bad feelings Big B. The game is kickass and that is all you need to know. What would you like to see here? Some "BG2 vs Arcanum" spammer's corner poll like on Terra-Arcanum forums that is 10 pages long? Ah, yes, btw, skip Terra-Arcanum forums if you hate spams and bumps.

I said up there I'll post here in Whatnots every single thing from within that game. And I will. Until I'm banned. But to make a review on the game? Come on! Get that manual or FAQ Vicsun is talking about. The review itself would take more pages than Dan Simpson's BG2 walkthrough.

The manual in non-printed form (DOC and PDF formats) you can get from here: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/station/downloads.shtml

[EDIT]

No it is not turning in flame war, Vicsun. I've just posted my last post in this thread.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited September 28, 2001).]

16. Vicsun Gems: 9/31

This is going to turn out a flame war. Can someone please close the topic?

17. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Thanks to Wildfire for linking me to Arcanum info page the other day in the chat. It looks like quite a fascinating game... technology vs magic. Still doesn't allow me to fulfill my dream of creating a technomage, but nothing's perfect. I should point out that unlike many other RPG's you do not control the other NPC's in your party; I like the concept, but I hope they have good AI for their NPC's.

18. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.