1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips on good Fantasy books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by DragonSlayer21, Apr 28, 2001.

1. [​IMG] Just finnished Lord of the rings book for the third time + I've read The Hobbit (don't know if that's the title wherever you come from) and Silmarillion.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys have any tips on good fantasy books I should read.
    I simply can't get enough of that stuff.

It's like an addiction after you read LOTR...

2. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I would like to recommend the author Robin Hobb. Look for the Assassin series:
    'Assassin's Apprentice'
    'Royal Assassin'
    'Assassin's Quest'

If you like 'em, you might want to go on to the 'Live Ship' series.
    Brilliant writer!

3. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Here's some names of some good authors.

Terry Goodkind
    David Eddings
    Terry Brooks
    Robert Jordan
    Raymond E. Feist

Not that they're the only ones, of course, but I'm sure you'll be pleased with any series you read by any given one of them.

4. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31

Terry Brookes?! Oh, come ON! Can't write for toffee (IMNSHO!) :confused:

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dennis McKiernan
    Katherine Kurtz
    Anne McCaffrey
    Katherine Kerr
    Tad Williams

6. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

L.E. Modesitt Jr. is good. I think Magic of Recluce is Modesitt's best.

But really Fljotsdale, I don't think that Brooks is that terrible. I mean, every book of both the Trilogy and the Heritage have been number one best sellers. As has the First King of Shannara and the Knight of the Word books. He also wrote the Star Wars I book, Hook, and numerous short stories - all which have been on the top ten best seller list. Not to mention the Magical Kingdom series, which have won several awards and have been on best sellers lists, although I don't remember which ones.

And kudos to BTA for including Kerr and Williams.

7. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31

Yeah, specially Tad Williams, Sapyril! One of THE best! (sorry if I got your name wrong, forgot to check spelling..)
    And yeah, I know Brooks is a best seller, but that doesn't mean he is good! Just that a lot of people like (expletive deleted). I read a few of his early books - maybe he has improved? - and found them hopelessly derivative. Yes, I enjoyed them as I was reading them, but they left me with a terrible feeling of disappointment that made me look at them again to see 'WHY?' and it was then I realised that they were really dreadfully written as well as derivative. YES - he tells a good story (sometimes) but his use of language is pretty dire. IMHO, anyway. Try reading something of his alongside something by Tolkien or Williams or even Robert Jordan - well, p'raps not Jordan, even though he is tons better than Brooks... :)

8. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

I found the Shannara books enthralling! Not as spectacular as Jordan or Tolkien, but good nonetheless. His characters were, although not believable, very lifelike as far as fantasy is concerned.

I don't think that anything in his books is original, but their composition is excellent. If anyone doesn't like the idea of a reclusive ninja, who just happens to be the greatest fighter in the world, or a woman who has the power to control life forces through the use of her voice...they're crazy.

9. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Ok, Sapiryl! I'm crazy! :eek: :p :) :eek:

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

David Eddings won't let you down!

If you get into Robert Jordan, in about 6-8 books you will be cursing all who recommended him! He starts off great, but then slowly grinds to a verbose halt!

Eddings has a similar feel as Tolkien, plus the series has ended (2 sets of 5 books) so you can't get roped into an un-ending saga!

Another personal favorite is Piers Anthony! His ADEPT (thanks Viking!) series - Starting with "The Blue Adept" was incredible SF!

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited April 30, 2001).]

11. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Piers Anthony's (Was it called Magician? I thought it was Adept) trillogy, is brilliant. The second lot are OK. Some his Xanth books are excelent too, but get too silly later on in the series. I read all these about 15 years ago, but he's now virtually out of print in the UK.

I would also recommend:

Steven Donaldson - 1st Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and Mordant's Need

Do yourself a favour and don't start reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time at least till it's finished. The way it's going I'm loathed to actually recommend anyone read it at all. His style of writing was never that good, but the story was..... now the story is just becomming painfull.

12. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31

True, Jordan's series has grown enormously.

But I kinda get the impression that he's going to cut the series short pretty soon. In the last book "Winter's Heart" a lot of stuff happened that will all contribute to the ending of the series.

But you're right, Jordan is getting tiresome (although I will finish the series).

13. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Noooooooooooo!

How comes nobody mentioned Terry Pratchett and the Discworld series? Yes, they are a bit far out, but its fantasy and good entertainment. Wonder if there will ever be a movie based on these novels.

14. Viking Gems: 19/31

Agree there Grovflab, with titles like "the fifth elephant" you can't go far wrong. Good fun, but I couldn't read all of them. Gets too samey for me.

Re Jordan, I haven't read the ninth one yet Sapiryl. When it still didn't wind it up I made an executive decision to not buy any more till it was finished. I might therefore buy another one in 2007. :) On a serious note I hope he's only aiming for 10.

15. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31

I agree about Jordan, which is why I stopped short of placing him alongside Tolkien and Williams.
    Piers Anthony is one of my favourite authors - ALL his series are good and the Xanth books are great fun, even at their worst!
    Terry Pratchett is BRILL! Granny Weatherwax and DEATH are just superb! The Discworld games don't live up to the books, but they are not bad - for point & click games! Discworld Noir is the best of them.

16. Mierin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I love jordan, read everyone of his 6 times :)

17. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Here's some that I don't think have been mentioned:

Barbara Hambly
    C S Friedman (Black sun rising, ...)
    Diana Wynne Jones (The Dark Lord of Derkholm) <-- you have to read this one
    Michael Scott (Magician's law: Tales of the bard, (and two more in that sequel))

18. Lysendor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Fritz Leiber - Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
    Michael Moorcock - Elric and Eternal Champion
    Dragonlance Triology - Guilty Pleasure!!!

19. Got some Robert Jordan books at the library today.

The whole timewheel (is that the title?) is pretty long isn't it....

20. Viking Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] NOOOOO, don't do it to yourself.

The problem is that the WoT starts off great, then it starts to really drag out, both in a literary and a literally sense. the last few have been at a 2 year interval per book, so that they can release it before X-mas both for hardback AND paperback editions. Gready bastards!

Not just that, 9th book was released before X-mas last year, so you have plenty of time to complete them before the next one. If the next one doesn't complete the series, in 18 months time, I think a letter bomb might! (Only joking).

I bet none of you have guessed, I'm really quite pissed off twith the whole thing. I finished the 5th one just as the 6th came out.... bought the 6th, and I feel there has been very little reward for the waiting. The books and story is deteriorating because of the way it's being stretched out, and my enjoyment now approaching zero. At least with the first ones they could be seen as a self contained book. Now just bugger all happens.

****RANTTTTTTTT*******

Oh, well. I'll have better days.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.