1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tie Fighter problems

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elendil, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I finally managed to get my hands on a game I wanted to play so much for so long. But, each time I start tie.exe I get this message:

"Using 2000K of EMS will add more music and speech. 572K MAIN, 896K EMS requiered."

Since I didn't play in DOS for a long time, I completely forgot how to deal with these memory problems. I think the last game that gave me a similar problem was Alladin. But that was a long time ago...

So, does anyone know what to do?

I tried making a LucasArts' Startup Disk, that doesn't work. The problem occurs both in DOS and in Windows...
    For the record, I have an Athalon 700 MHz, with 128 RAM. So, in any case: :help:

[ October 31, 2002, 13:08: Message edited by: Elendil ]

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Your operating system counts more than anything here.

I believe I've gotten it to work under NT, using VDSM, but I was thinking it had a bug somewhere in it that either crashed the game or you couldn't use a joystick or something.

I think the joystick may have been the issue. USB joysticks don't like msdos. Other than that, I think the game was fully playable.

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

This just came in on theforce.net:

I've spent the past two months trying to make TIE fly and tonight, after a friend suggested using a file from Microsoft, found a sure-fire way that should please everyone. Here's the steps involved...

1. Go to Microsoft's homepage and do a search for the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit. The most recenet release is version 2.6 from August 19, 2002 (found it here ).

2. Download the executable (6.9 MB) and run it to install the components.

3. The default directory should be C:bad:Program Files\Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit\applications. Go there and double-click the "QFixApp" icon.

4. The QFixApp window is now open. Browse to the TIE95 directory and select "TIE95.EXE"

5. On the "Layers" tab I selected "Windows 98", because I knew for certain that TIE Fighter ran on that with no problems. You may want to play around between 95, 98 and 2000 depending on your system.

6. The most important step (if you've got either the "joystick not found" or the DirectX conflict that everyone apparently has with this game): go to the "Fixes" tab and UN-check the box for "EmulateJoystick".

7. Once this is done, hit the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window.

8. Click the "Create Fix Support" button. When it asks if you want to install the fix support now, select "Yes".

9. Create a shortcut from "TIE95.EXE" to your desktop. You won't be able to play the game via the launcher program, but if you follow these steps and begin the game from TIE95.EXE, you *will* be able to play the game itself just as you could on earlier Windows versions. I found nothing missing so far as graphics/sound goes, and it was very playable with my Sidewinder joystick.

:tie:

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

It's been so long since I've messed with it, I'd forgotten. =)

Good call, BB.

There's a whole slew of games that need the "emulate joystick" fix turned off.

But if you see "Dos4gw" anywhere, you are completely screwed. Fortunately, Tie Fighter used their own extender. Lucasarts used to be the top of the top when it came to gaming engines.

Oh, and don't forget about VTSM or VTDSM or whatever it is I have saved back. Virtual NT Sound Manager, I think.

VNTSM?

There's a Collector's Edition, and a Collector's Series. The Edition is dos, the Series works d3d into the engine. The most recent one I used was the d3d one, 'cause I managed to figure out how to hexedit the ships on it.

6. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My operating system is Windows 98. When I try to run the game under win, I get the ms-dos prompt and the same message.
    Isn't this an issue with the EMS memory?

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Whooops.

Heh.

You need to edit your config.sys to load the ems driver. My god, it's been a long time.

dos=high, umb
    device=c:bad:windows\himem.sys
    device=c:bad:windows\emm386.exe RAM 4096
    fileshigh=30
    buffershigh=10,0
    FCBS=4,0
    Stacks=0,0
    Lastdrive=G

That's about all I remember. Put your last drive one past your last drive, just in case something needs a ramdisk or whatever. Windows overrides the "files" command, so it's worthless unless you're in realdos mode. Same deal with buffers.

There's a whole slew of switches in there for it, but I never remember exactly what I use. There's an I=E000-E777 string in there that uses some of the memory from your video card to bolster the UMB.

You should be able to run the game without going to realdos mode. Unlike Star Control 2. =(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.