1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Three fans (Noctua, SilenX, Akasa) - need to choose and choose fast

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Jul 8, 2009.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    http://allegro.pl/item682589180_silenx_ixtrema_pro_120mm_krol_super_ciszy_14dba.html

http://allegro.pl/item679329196_noctua_nf_p12_900_110_1300_rpm_ultracichy_12_6db.html

http://allegro.pl/item682419090_wentylator_akasa_apache_ak_fn057_120mm.html

I need two 120 mm fans - one for Accelero S1 on the GPU and one for sysfan. I need to decide between these three models because I need them ASAP and I can't really wait or snoop around.

Personally, I seem partial to the SilenX Ixtrema because of the parameters, but I don't know the brand. What would you do? Would you get the SilenX or would you make the safer bet and buy Noctua? What about the Akasa? It seems to have better params than Noctua, but really?

Any chance anyone has already worked with one of these?

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Scythe. The slipstream make less noise but this is a good middleway. Same polish site: http://allegro.pl/item676575890_scythe_s_flex_1200_cichy_duza_wydajnosc_gw_fv.html

This is the fast answer based upon the result of a recent mass test of 122 casefans. I just love hardwareinfo.

I am now going to look which of your three is the best.

A test: http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/prod...kbZiXmJXKYsg,bGZkbZiXmJXKY8g,bGZkbZiXmJXKZMg/

It is dutch but you get the picture.

Based on some digging I think 1: Noctua, 2 Akasa, 3 silentx. This is based on the reviews I could find. The silent x is the oldest, so a review from 2 years ago is obsolete. The Noctua and the akasa seem to be on the right track with the diferent shaped blades. Those seem to work to some extend. The noctua tops the Akasa.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  3. chevalier

Media:
    Just curious, but you aren't the first person that says Scythe. However, as I can see, Scythe ones, including the SlipStream and the GentleTyphoon, have worse stated parameters than Noctua or Akasa. And my experience with Scythe Kaze, Kama, Jyu etc etc., the 8 cm and 9.2 cm versions, is far from being happy, so I'm kinda afraid of using a Scythe product. Care to shed some more light?

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Noctua are supposed to be the best performing yet quietest fans out there due to their SSO bearings, fan blade design, and other factors. However, I've never actually dealt with them, but I've heard nothing but good things.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know. I always liked scythe. I have a few fans that work great(8cm) up to 3300 rpm and regulated on a scythe kaze master.

When i look at the stats listed on the site I use most, they give the same numbers for half the price. The slipstream 500 makes as much noise as the Noctua whit the same air displacement. Their reputation is big in the Netherlands.

120mm fans are a lot more quiet compared to 80mm. After all the tests, they took the 10 most efficient casefans. Five of them are Scythe, 3 noiseblockers, 1 enermax and 1 Zalman. This was based on the air displacement/sound ratio. The first 3 are scythe, followed by two noiseblockers. All fans are 120 mm.

So yes, I like that brand. I did not spit to deep in the link I gave you but read it in the magazine. I assumed that the numbers in the link were correct.

The most quiet one was the 120mm noiseblocker s series MF-12s1.

But to return to your question: Noctua

6. chevalier

Media:
    You see, the beef I had with Scythe small ones was that they were almost okay on their own (I could still hear the annoying sound anyway) but a bit of spatial arrangement and things were messy. After closing my case, I couldn't put up with that stuff. But as I said, those were small ones and as you say, biggies are more civilised in general. I liked some of the Scythe ones on the site you linked - particularly the 14 cm ones (yes, I could use a 14 cm fan instead of one of the 12 cm ones). Admittedly, I was also rather alarmed by them costing less than Noctua while being said to be similarly good.

You know, now I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't try the Akasa if I can't decide between Scythe and Noctua. After all, the params are good and Akasa isn't a noname. Sigh. Maybe I'll go to the shop and see on my own ear and face how they blow.

EDIT: This Slip Stream 1200 rpm (link) boasts pictures from Scythe's own tests and claims it can move 68.54 CFM at 24 dba noise level. Can I believe it?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  7. Merlanni

Media:
    Does this help?

http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/prod...ZkbZiXmJPKacg,bGZkbZiXmJTKYMg/viewbenchmarks/

translated

Nov 8 anonemeter/soundmeter in a soundproof box distance 10 cm.

airdisplacement min
    airdisplacement max
    soundproduction min
    soundproduction max

Clicking on geluidsproductie min the 1200 rpm scores at min 29,3 so No There are more silent ones, still 1200 rpm is not bad. A shame that Noctua did not send them one, or Akasa.

8. chevalier

Media:
    Kinda seems I'll be getting SlipStream 1200 rpm because it seems it's better than S-Flex, despite the latter being more expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong. But it turns out my real problem is heatsinks falling off memory and power units with this Accelero. It was a stupid idea to rely on just rubbing the spreaders with a rubber - they shouldn't have done it that way but instead provided normal glue or at least some silly tape. And I think I'm gonna buy not one but two Slips in place of one because I have enough room under the GFX heatsink to accommodate two 12 cm fans actually. That should work like charm. And glue. Thanks for help but do correct me if for some reason a different piece of Scythe seems better to you. I'm not picking 1600 rpm because I believe it's going to be too loud and no 800 rpm, either, because I'm distrusting that kind of air flow. And SlipStream seems to beat both S-Flex and GentleTyphoon in params.

The only thing that I'm sorta worrying about is pressure. SlipStream doesn't seem to reign in that regard and I want it blow through the ribs of that Accelero heatsink.

9. Merlanni

Media:
    You can regulate the two fans on a fancontroller is sound is an issue. When you are just in the desktop you can turn them low, and when you game you can turn them up. Most of the times you put a molex powerextension in the controller and the wires from the controller tot the fans. Some even have a temp meter as an extra. Most are 5,25 but a few are 3,5.

---------- Added 0 hours, 5 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

Or replace the videocard cooler. Scythe has the Musashi that comes with two 100 mm fans and a fancontrolbracket.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have a 12cm Noctua NH-U12P (check the Da Comp section of my photo albums for an impression) and it performs excellent. Noctua's come with a five year warranty. I am a very satisfied customer. I will buy Noctua again. Very quiet, superior quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.