1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thread for people who don't like Christmas

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    For personal reasons I am not thrilled about the season this year but for the sake of my children I am pretending.

This is a thread only for people who wish christmas was over with already and are sick of hearing carols on the radio. I don't intend for this thread to be argumentative or to "cheer up" those people who aren't in the christmas spirit. So if you don't like the topic, just ignore the thread please.

I don't know if anyone else will post here, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

[ December 18, 2006, 23:56: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Other than the inevitable gorging which will take place on the day itself I'm really not looking forward to Xmas this year either. Money is such a big cause of stress this time of year, and dozens of young family members clamouring for expensive presents just gives me a severe headache.

Always as a child I found the season of goodwill to be enchanting, but as I've gotten older I have to admit I've found it to be gradually less enjoyable and eventually nothing more than an expensive chore.

My objection is not just monetary though, it seems it is just not allowed to be quiet and reserved at Xmas. I do not like jumping around, playing charades and generally making a lot of noise which is considered quite normal any other time of year. However on Xmas day I become the miserable codger and everyone will proceed to irritate me all day until I end up in a thorougly bad mood...

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Count me in.

For some reason, this year I just feel burnt out of the whole "holiday spirit" thing. Everything about Christmas is so cliché now, it's not even fun.

Maybe I'll convert to Judaism...see what this Hanukah is all about. :p :rolling:

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am moving to Ireland in less than 2 weeks. You can imagine how full of holiday spiriti I am. *sigh*

Arahar likes this.
  5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've never cared much about christmas and now I have a reason to like it even less. Sorry that this is a long rant, I got carried away...

About two years ago around christmas, my ex's dad left her mom. We got to know that because he was supposed to come pick us up from the town when we were going to spend the holiday with her family. He had left in the middle of the night without saying ahything. Merry christmas, ho ho ho.

Last year would've been difficult enough for that alone, but then about half years later he had left my ex's mom he went and had a heart attack which killed him. That made last year exceedingly difficult, and about a week or so before last years christmas, the whole thing blew apart and I broke up with my ex. It was hell, and we agreed that it would be too hard to be together, which it was. So last christmas I certainly didn't have a happy holiday.

Now I might say that I'm slowly starting to get over it, but christmas time seems to be the worst. For six years or so those were the times we really got to spend some time together, since at least she was a workaholic around when we were together, studied a lot and she didn't have that much time we could spend together. But on christmases we had ample time to really enjoy each other's company.

So this is another christmas I'll be spending without a significant other after a long time being in a relationship.

We had a christmas tradition of watching the LoTR movies on christmas holidays, since the movies were out around christmas, and all of us, me and her family, liked them a lot so when the special edition DVD's came out, she and her brothers bought them as a christmas present for their mom and we would all watch the movies, the special features and everything.

Yesterday, The Return Of The King was on the TV and I cried my heart out. Because of all of the good memories I have from my relationship that I associate with those movies.

I don't really hate christmas, but it's a season that makes me feel alone, and even more so after what happened between me and my ex.

Other reason's I don't like chrstmas is that it's a holiday when everybody's supposed to be full of christmas spirit and cheerful, but usually because of these expectations everbody's all tensed up, easily irritated and get on each other's nerves.

Christmas season is a time when dysfunctional families get together and start bickering about every imaginable little thing.

Even when I was more religious I had objections about christmas, the commerciality of it, every christmas I can't get the chorus of Skunk Anancie's Selling Jesus out of my head, and that I didn't like that it was celebrated more than easter. That was my funny idea about christianity. I mean, surely what happened on easter about two thousand years ago should be celebrated more than christmas. The birth of the Son of God is all fine and dandy, but according to christianity the way and the why Jesus died should be more important. But that was just my idea.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hell no you're not alone, Princess.

I'm so ****ing tired of the damn carols. Never mind that they start harassing people with that at what, the beginning of november? F***'S SAKE, I'm so bloody tired of hearing all the same damn songs over and over and over and over and over again.

Don't get me started on the commercial aspects of Xmas. F****** commercial ****. A lot of the snot-nosed rugrats I've seen don't give a rat's ass about the familial aspect of Xmas, they only expect to be buried in gifts, and if they aren't, then Xmas sucks.

And about spending time in family -- another thing for which Xmas makes me want to puke. When you got a family as dysfunctional as mine, you pretty much don't want to see them, and I got harassed all the f****** month if I would come to the Xmas party, and if I would bring my gf with me - that's right, they imagine that because I live with a woman, that makes her my gf, and that's NOT the case. Try explaining that to them...

I'm bloody tired of Xmas. Yes, I'm a scrooge and proud to be.

7. Dice

Media:
    And lets not forget the damn christmas specials on TV that take the sad, sore and lonely masses and give them a miracle.

Cheese is for pizza.

*pours out shots of hard liquor for those who want some*

A toast to January, friends.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You could cut the negativity with a knife ;) .

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    One other thing is that I used to get this terrible flu always around christmas. Let's see how this year goes.

And the presents. I'm a student! I'm poor! I don't have enough imagination to think of some things that my family members don't need which I really can't afford!

It doesn't matter if the gift comes from the heart, right? Well I could cook for the whole damn family as a present for them since that's something I'm good at and I'd like to do, but since I'm the little brother, a guy, my mum and my sisters usually haven't let me!

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

/me grabs bottle of hard liquor and replaces it with a 4-pack of Rockstar 21

Try that, darling, I'm positive you'll like it.

Yes, a toast to january. A toast to the end of this f****** Xmas period.

11. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    :beer:

*Considers getting seriously wasted during the holiday*

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why do you need to get seriously wasted?

13. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Oh well, I guess that's just something people do when they're not feeling so good and they really want to wallow in the misery of the human condition. Personally, it's because I'm not too happy about the memories christmas brings into my mind.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm "meh" about The Holidays. I'm an adult now and can't dump responsibility onto my parents anymore.

If it wasn't the same s*** year after year... Those f****** Thunderbirds marionette shows about Frosty and Rudolph make me want to gag (and currently being ill doesn't help). I have never seen It's A Wonderful Life, but I know the gist of it well enough to beg George to jump; just this one year please *jump* off that bridge!

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, I know I'm not gonna be popular here, but for the most part I still am a naive sap who gets all hopeful for the 'holidays' - trying to make others a little less aggrivated and set upon, if not actually happy. :heh:

Xmas specials don't bother me much anymore since I can count on one hand the hours of TV I watch in a week, and that'll likely go DOWN in the next week or so.

...but the carols? :grr:

You think YOU lot have to deal with this drek on the radio - at least you've got the option to turn it off, or even hope for something remotely different - I may not like Rob Thomas, but I'll give credit where it's due, he came up with something sappy but ORIGINAL last year, instead of covering the same bleeping trite, hackneyed, dessicatingly-soulless 'carols' that everyone else does...

...anyways, imagine what it's like for those of us in the service industry, working for a large corporation that believes in uniformity...like 'muzak'. :nolike:

Now I *was* all enthusiastic about the start of the 'xmas tape' since it'd at least mean I'd get a respite from the "Kareoke Disc from Hell" with all its stereotypical 'elevator music' (no vocals, jazz flute, etc remakes of 'soft rock' hits from at least twenty years ago, etc.)

And for the most part, it's okay, it's nice to actually hear a human voice again...

...but that same, stupid, vapid, idiotic, worthless, misbegotten LITTLE DRUMMER BOY!

When one works a seven-hour shift, and hears nine DIFFERENT covers of this same dang thing (and I'm not counting the David Bowie/Bing Crosby one, since that duo at least came up with some additional lyrics!) and hears them in clusters of three to five consecutive instances, it "damages one's calm." (Thanks Firefly :) )

Listen, he can't be that much of a drummer if the Ox and the Lamb have to keep time! :lol:
    (psst - and I hate to break it to you kid; but he's not smiling at you - that's just gas, seeing as he's one DAY old!)

Believe you-me, if I ever get holda that arrhythmic little twit, those drumsticks are going to rattle out a different beat...on his head! :mad:

*pauses for breath*

Whew. That was so...cathartic. Thanks; I may just be able to make it through the rest of the year now...if I can sneak an iPod and some flesh-colored earbuds into work...

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The worst part about Christmas is all the people complaining about Christmas! It's supposed to be a happy time of cheer, but it seems to bring out all the humbugs. I look forward to January when people will stop moaning about how awful Christmas is.

17. Dice

Media:
    @HB - I'm not sure you belong in this thread friend. This is a place for those who want to share their wish for the season to be over swiftly, not for the people who want to complain about those that aren't enjoying christmas this year.

This is a quote from my opening statement to the thread.
    This is not about being a scrooge or a humbug. There are a lot of people who have legitimate reasons for not enjoying christmas and christmas for some people can be a truely sad time of year. I think that opening a separate thread like this is an appropriate way to express my feelings without ruining anyone elses happiness by writing it in one of their threads.

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I couldn't put it any better myself!
    All I have to say to you is BAH-HUM-BUG you lousy optimist! :grr: :rolling:

19. Harbourboy

Sorry, I just have to say one more thing before I shut up in this thread:

Kitrax, you're a newly wed. You should be the happiest, most optimistic person here. If you're not going to be positive, then what hope is there for anybody else?

20. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

These days are about just spending more money than we have and eating more than we eat in the whole year.
    Most of the kids can't be tricked into the Santa thing, they just care about getting their PS or Nintendo DS and their respective games.

Year after year you see the same Christmas movies, as if they try to 'inject' some religious matter in the celebrations.

I don't hate the celebrations, I just see no point in having to spend so much money in gifts and food, and waiting to these days to reunite with the family.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.