1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thoughts on my party

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lazy Bonzo, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] My party is:-
    Lazy Bonzo (me) Kensai using blade of the roses and dakkon's zerth blade.
    Minsc -The tank
    Keldorn- The tank and quick dispel magic guy.
    Aerie-Cleric/support mage 1
    Jan-Thief/support mage 2
    Edwin-The Killer mage.

I have jsut hit chapter 3 without leaving athklata done mook and my party is about level 9 all round. Curently doing the city quests before leaving.

What are your thoughts on any improvements my party could make.

P.S. I have happy qroup installed because minsc and edwin are my favourite characters but i don't want either to die :D :D :D :D

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

First drop zerth blade.

Second, replace Keldorn with ANYTHING.

That will be something you can call "the party". Period.

[EDIT]
    I've never installed those LAME "FIXES".
    In my party Minsc and Edwin are almost best friends. When are they supposed to jump on each other? I hope that friendship won't turn into... Geez, Azardu has too much influence on me lately...

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited August 27, 2001).]

3. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

you have a big problem.That combination will not stay together for long. This is the great gameplay with SOA.
    You see that party is probably your perfect all round party but because you have an evil mage and a paladin in it you cannot hope to last long. The game is designed for you to either take the evil road or the good road (and sometimes the neutral)
    Example: SPOILER!

You will face a red dragon on one of the unessesary quests (but high exp and best weapons in game)
    If you fight the beast Edwin will wimp out and dissapear forever.
    If you take the dragon's side Keldorn will leave.
    After a while they will argue between themselves anyway so........

IMHO If you want a good party then take these:

Good:

You
    Nalia
    Anomen
    Keldorn
    Aerie
    Jan (alignment is badish but only good theif in the game)

Evil:

you
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Korgan
    Haer'dalis
    jan

Neutral:

you
    Cernd
    Jaheira
    Jan
    any mage
    Haer'dalis

4. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Man, your neutral party sucks rocks.

2 druids and no tanks? And where does Imoen fit in?

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Something beats me Dargorn. You told us that You where on our side with Mazzy Vs. Keldorn And then You turn against her like this. And un top of the cake with cream and sugar You pick Keldorn. Lord Give me strenght :rolleyes: :p.

Sudden stroke of Amnesia has perhaps hit our good knight? :)

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] I've asked if he ever reads our replies...

I guess I don't need an answer.

[EDIT]
    I already asked what triggers Minsc vs Edwin?
    In my party I have them both and they almost lick each other.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited August 27, 2001).]

7. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

My thoughts:
    - For how long do you expect Minsc and Edwin to get along together?
    - Replace Jan with Imoen. She's an OK thief, though not as good as Jan, plus she's a better mage, and ... she's your sister, so I hope you're not planning to leave her in spellhold...?
    - If you wanna keep Edwin replace Minsc with Jaheira - that way she gives you druid spells, and with a good plate mail and a strength-enhancing belt + Ironskins, she's not just the tank, she's THE tank.

8. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

sorry that wasn't me just a friend who likes rpg too and decided to play while i got supper!
    and why would edwin want to lick minsc!

here is my party
    me
    mazzy
    aerie
    nalia
    anomen
    jan

[This message has been edited by Sir Dargorn (edited August 27, 2001).]

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Because he's talking to Edwina - not Edwin - right now... ;) :D

/me escapes with Viccy so M&E can be alone a bit... *evil grin*

10. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Extremist, why do advise the poster to drop Keldorn? I thought I read a post from you not long ago stating that Keldorn was one of your favorite NPCs.
    Frankly, I would advise the poster to drop Edwin....it is he who is most unlike the remainder of the party. Add instead Jaheira perhaps or save the slot for Imoen. The poster already has 2 mages in the group who are more than adequate to fill the bill. If he MUST have another mage, Imoen is a fine one and Nalia too if you can endure her inane dialogue.

11. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

Lazy Bonzo (me) Kensai using blade of the roses and dakkon's zerth blade.
    Okay
    Minsc -The tank
    Argh! Would replace with Korgan (GRANDMASTERY with Frostreaver, download BG1-GM-patch!)
    Keldorn- The tank and quick dispel magic guy.
    Yo. And the Holy Avenger-guy...
    Aerie-Cleric/support mage 1
    Mhhh... quite okay. Would take Viconia (evil though, but Eddy is, too).
    Jan-Thief/support mage 2
    Jan is a killer with his techno-gloves ;)
    Edwin-The Killer mage.
    ROCKZ!!! At least until Wish comes your way...

12. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Extremist, the Edwin-Minsc blowout only happens after something like four scripted conversations between the two of them, and they only happen while Edwin is male, and like all those interactions between two NPCs in your party, there seems to be a random element as to whether or when they show up. So it's possible for the two of them never to come to blows in the course of a game. But eventually they usually will. You can see their arguments in the bminsc dialogue file, if you get through the game without their killing each other and are curious to see what you missed...

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Hi Subra

Extremist has turned against Keldorn as he rightfully should.
    He is by all means an extremist. ;)

Drop Keldorn and pick Mazzy.
    Drop Aerie and pick Jaheira
    Drop Edwin and pick Imoen
    Drop Jan and pick Nalia

Why? because You and minsc are in chickheaven. No weak links. Imoen and Nalia are greeeat with bracers AC2 and 3. And stoneskin. and lotsa magic.

Why dump Aerie? I think she look ugly as hell.

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Subra, where could you read such note of mine? :mad: Pass a link, willya? No ruining my rep on the boards without proof, OK? Speculations leave for the chatroom.

From the very first post I tried and tried so hard to dig that NPC, but obviously I failed. I won't quote Einstein here about boundaries though.

----------------------------------

tjekanefir, actually it is in Edwin's dialogs. More of it, Edwin could fight with Keldorn and Valygar too... Bah! It really never occured in my game... I was lucky I guess... :p

Then again thanx for warning. But both of them STAY! :p

----------------------------------

Nobleman, ugly is a compliment for that whimper. :thumb up:

15. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Thanxs for your replies i will probably dump keldorn. Using the zerth blade because i intend to dual tpo kensai mage as the first time through i played straight kensai and i want a more powerful character this time.

16. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

After I posted it occurred to me that it might have been in BEdwin rather than BMinsc... but since I just installed ToB, which changes all the files, I couldn't check anymore.

Glad you found it, though!

L

17. alky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How about my party?

Lucas (me) - human Swashbuckler, specialized in short swords and short bows (next up might be katanas for celestial fury or long swords)

Minsc - tank
    Keldorn - tank, can wield the Carsomyr!!
    Anomen - backup fighter, main cleric
    Imoen (when she comes back) - main mage, backup thief
    Aerie - backup cleric and mage

Imoen's spot is the wildcard spot, i place the NPC whom I think I need most there

18. Rangstrom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Bah. If I wanted super-best-gonzo teams or romances I'd read a book. I like lots of options and different tactics. The group I'm having the most fun with right now:

1. Ranger(decided not to dc)
    2. Annomen
    3. Haer-Dalis
    4. Cernd
    5. Nalia
    6. Yoshiomo/Imoen
    Unfortunately Cernd gets swapped out alot so he can't do greater werewolf yet and some people seem to be upset because I bought those brats some beer.

19. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Minsc and edwin are my favourite controllable npc's. I'm not dumping aerie as i am halfway through her romance. I am keeping jan as he is the only multiclass thief/mage which i prefer over thief to mage dual because the thief skills can keep improving along with magic. Keldorn is my big indecision because i only took him because i'd taken him in my previous times through. So i am only interested now in who to replace keldorn with. I want a fighter but not necessarily a tank since a support fighter will do. My characters combat stats are currently:-
    thaco main hand=3 off hand = 4
    doing 23-26 damage each hit at 3 attacks per round. profecieincy 2 in katanas 2 in long swrds and 3 in 2 handed weapon style. Level 9 only 80,000 to next level.

20. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If you insist on dumping Keldorn, there are a number of fighter types you could replace him with. Your PC dual-wielding long swords and Valygar dualling katanas could make quite the destructive duo.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.