1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

They Say That History Is the Greatest of All Teachers

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Nobleman, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] The tales of past deeds define who we are in the present and what we shall be in the future. It is said that such tales shall, with each telling, eluminate us all with the light of truth

I shall tell you of such tale
    ---------------------------------------------

I have Never played IWD before and never heard any quests and hints. I have no Idea of the plot except the intro movies. So This is a chance for a cheap laugh to follw SirAxelot's first tale. A paladin of profession a barbarian of hearth. Born as a barbarian but lost as kid and taken in by the church far south. His Barbarian traits are easy to see. His Axe by his side and his thick black beard. A beard that hides a face which is determined to bring fortune and happiness to his childhood region.

I will only bring this a shortstory as I am eager to play. Have your laughs here but learn from each tale.

SirAxelot:
    Str: 15
    Dex: 11
    Con: 18
    int: 9
    Wis: 13
    Cha: 17

Axe **
    CrossBow **
    Our tale begins in the quiet fishing village of Easthaven.

Sir AxeAlot glanced at the calm and cozy inn. Smell of warm beer met his frozen nose. The humming smalltalk of guest silenced for a moment. And took a look at the newcomer. A look they never forgot. It seemed as if strengh an comfort itself radiated from this man. sparkles in his eyes told tales of fights and good deeds. Everyone in the inn later admitted that with his presence they felt safe.

Sir AxeAlot Swept the snow away from his beard, and walked to a free table in the far end. The humming small talk of people had already begun again. This time they spoke of him.

Sir Axelot had barely time to order, before another figure entered the inn. He headed for Sir AxeAlot and introduced himself. From that moment Hrothgar, the mayor, had made a new friend.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

3. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Sir AxeAlot had arrived none to soon. A handfull of locals were in dire straits and the kind AxeAlot's hearth had not been frozen by the howling blizzards that roamed the passes to the south. Soon he found himself deep in helping the locals. Beetles, wolves and goblins the like had to face the Axe of this kind soul. But his own blood also painted the ice beneath him. He would not last long without comrades. He had been alone too long.

Clear tears ran down his cheeks as he stepped through the snow and up Hrothgar's house. Here One promise for friendship let to another and without noticing Sir AxeAlot found himself in a cold an moisturous orc lair.

Grunts eccoed in the deep corridors as Sir AxeAlot advanced through blurred shadows. Alas when Sir AxeAlot turned the first corner, grunts changed to gnarls then to battle cries. Sir Axelot's Crossbow shed much blood and soon the hollow wind was all that could be heard in this huge lair.

Hrothgar was pleased of the deed, but still puzzled of an orc settlement so close. Nevertheless the upcoming expediton was a greater concern. So in the dim morning light five days and a lot of ale later, Sir AxeAlot stood ready for departure. Stronger than ever but yet hoping that his deeds for goodness would spread hope in the frightened souls of Easthaven.
    Where are my NPC!! I hope I meat some soon. Now DONT SPOIL ME!!! :mad: :) Its hard enough, not to glance in the rulebook and at the other threads in this forum :D. This unwilling solothingie made him level 4.

It was a tough start. A good thing is that Sir AxeAlot can cast Prot. from evil. That lowers his Ac to 1. And the duration is very very long. He found a ring +1. But still... Ouch! Anyway I enjoy Playing a guy that is not tortured by an inner struggle or fighting to gain his mortality and body back, if you catch my drift ;)

A Normal and solid Bloke In a good old fashioned D&D setting.

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

NPC? They don't exist in IWD. Sir Axelot is going solo now. You have to create all the characters by yourself.

5. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

yea....no npc's......i would reccomend playing with less than 6 characters though.....if you are REALLY brave, play as a solo F/M/T....I did that...but it was challenging at first. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Llandon, you inspired me...I started a single game with a F/M/T - it is pretty tough at the beginning!

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

It is clearly fun (allthough easy) to play with 6 characters. Gives you more control. More things to do. More variety.

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] I would apreciate your comment on this story guys and gals; do you prefer the long or the short version or none at all. It is not meant as a walkthrough but as a tale. I like to write but only if the crowd is pleased. :)

The Tale continues in the cold part of the realms

Sir AxeAlot entered Arundel's Wooden cabin. He had worrying news to the Archdruid who had waited in anticipation for almost a forthnight. Sir Axelot gathered the many keys he had acquired in the tombs from his frostbroken backpack, placed them on Arundel's table and said in deep and steady voice "the Vale of Shadows is not the den of evil we seek my friend". Sir AxeAlot awaited a gasp of surrender from Arundel. But Arundel was swift in calculation another option to seek the evil that haunted the icy and windy dale of Kuldahar. Sir Axelot was to seek out a renegade druid in the hills far to the east. Sir Axelot was confident that he would succeed.

Sir AxeAlot was a changed man. Since he had departed to the northern passes he had grown a strong and sturdy face and body. His face reflected utter determination and wore the remnants of numerous battles and fights. Yet the kindness that a grandfather shows his grandchildren had never vanished from his face nore eyes.

He spoke gently and joyfull to the Barkeep Whitcomb as he had headed for an ale in his crowded inn before facing the cold, steep and treacherous mountains again. He had not enjoyed the sweet taste of brewing since he departed from Easthaven 3 weeks ago. It was a terrible tale to tell. Sir Axelot tried to bury the sad feelings deep inside his soul. He had lost many new friends from Easthaven in the "expedition". Sir Axelot looked worried as he found a single table. His beard was wet by warm ale as he took a great swig at the mug. He saw the vision clearly now. The giants came from nowhere. Huge boulders of rock and Ice roared down upon them. Avalances of thundering snow followed quickly from every side silencing the unfortunates' screams deep under the snow. Sir Axelot had barely made it out from this cruel and efficient ambush alive. Now he stood alone in the cold pass of Kuldahar. A strong sense of dispair had swept over him with the blizzard that suddenly arose.

Sir AxeAlot ordered another Mug of Ale by Whitcomb. The recent days stood as a blur to him as he now pondered on his life or lack thereof. He had fortune to find the small city of Kuldahar which nestled by the root of a giant oak. an eager boy had awaited him with hopes of an army of liberation. All he had seen was one man; Sir AxeAlot. Sir AxeAlot had tried to explan the boy what had happened. And he had promised to help. And somehow the boy found relief and confidence in these words. The deeds to fulfill his vow let him to the vale of shadows. To search for the evil that made even nature its slave. Arundel the Arcmage of Kuldahar had send him to unravel this, not knowing that Sir AxeAlot was not as competent as he looked. But this had changed. Now Sir AxeAlot was a force of good to be recognized with. He had the cunningness of aged fighters and gladiators. And tales of him already sprung forth hand in hand with high hopes of freedom and peace within this very city. Could it really be saved before it was too late? Sir AxeAlot wore his grand responsibility with ease and dignity as he left the inn and headed for sleep. He was sure his confidence would be tested in the temples far east. And he hoped he was not gravely mistaken as he polished and readied his gear for departure late in the cold but silent evening.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 24, 2001).]

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I like the story telling....

Are you playing the game solo as Axelot, or are mearly story tellin?

Sir Belisarius: I'm glad I inspired you! It is tough at first, your longbow will be your best friend. I reccomending wearing no Armor, but cast the mage spell armor instead...it last forever! Don't worry too much, you'll level up FAST! If you have HOW installed, you should be able to reach 30 in all levels!

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Think most of us here have experienced that story. It's not that exciting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.