1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The World's Best Footballer

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Got to be Thierry Henry for me.
    Ronaldinho is easier on the eye and more skillful, but Henry more effective. He scores more goals, creates more goals and is a more complete player.

Agree?

[ March 30, 2006, 17:20: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I agree with Henry. Other players may be better in their out-and-out position (ie - Van Nistelrooy is probably a better goalscorer), but Henry is a very complete player with excellent teamwork. Furthermore he can singlehandedly win games for Arsenal. He is the player Arsenal look up to for inspiration when the chips are down. When he is not playing the entire team performance drops.

So +1 for Henry.
    :)

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm not going to argue against this - it's a given :)

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Isn't this like asking who is the best accordion player in the world? (i.e., yes, I'm sure there is a best, but who in their right mind would stick around to listen to the accordion -- or watch soccer?)

/me dons flame suit considering the relative popularity of soccer.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Preferably someone still playing the game, Harbs.

7. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Well If you ask for the best ever, I have to agree with Harb, Edson Arantes do Nascimento Pel? was the best soccer player.

As for current, there is many good players, is very difficult to pin point one as "the best", like Ronaldo C., Ronaldo Z., Zidane R., Van Nistelrooy C., Seedorf R., Scholes, M. Owen, Ronaldinho ... there is just to many good players.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Depends on the position he plays...

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Maurolova, you list C. Ronaldo in the same breath as Zidane, RVN, Ronaldinho... wash your mouth out!

Fair point Fabius, list (in your opinion) the best player in each position.

My team of 'best' players in each position, would go something like this (let's assume a 4-4-2 formation)...

GK - Buffon (ITA)

LB - Zambrotta (ITA)
    CB - Terry (ENG)
    CB - Nesta (ITA
    RB - Cafu (BRA)

LW - Ronaldinho (BRA)
    CM - Ballack (GER)
    CM - Lampard (ENG)
    RW - Joaquin (SPA)

FW - Shevchenko (UKR) or, Rooney (ENG)
    FW - Henry (FRA)

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ronaldinho, he can do stuff with a ball I have never seen before. Combine that with the attitude of a five year old first experiencing the wonders of a ball and we have a wonder. Henry is good, more than good he is awesome but he aint no Ronaldinho.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    'Dinho can do incredible things with a football, but he's not as effective a footballer as Henry.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Best ever: Roberto Baggio
    Best now: Ronaldinho

13. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Jerry Rice for USA football and Weird Al Yankovic for best accordian player :p :beer:

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Three English players in Barmy Army's best team. England must be shoe-ins to win the World Cup now then, with such superstars at their disposal.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Imo Brazil are going to take it again, but I'm hoping to be surprised, I always root for the underdog no matter who it is ;)

I'll go on the Ronaldinho side for this one. He gets the ball and the defense starts panicking.

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    Harbs, I doubt a guy here will question those decisions. I have three Italians as well, I guess you didn't notice. And we're better than the Italians. On paper.

We have the 2nd best squad of players this time around (second to Brazil), but our problem is team work. A lot of our players don't work for each other and a all 'superstars' and try to win games on their own. If we can get around that, we'd be with a massive chance.

17. Harbourboy

I'll put my savings on England right now then, while the odds are still so good!

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    We're second favourites with the bookies, so the odds aren't that great :p .

All the clever money is on Brazil, although I think I might drop a cheeky fiver on Italy. Whilst England, Argentina, Holland probably have better teams on paper, the Italians seem to be playing extremely well right now (beating Germany 4-1 recently). Plus, with Luca Toni, this time around they have a goalscorer in his peak who is not just there on name. Most of my flutters will be on Brazil though :p . Their team is incredible.

19. Harbourboy

In the odds I've seen, England are 4th favourites at about about 9-1. I guess odds are dependent on who is betting money where, and in England plenty of money is going on back to back World Cup wins for England (the soccer World Cup only happens every 40 years right?). If England are such a red hot prospect then 9-1 looks good to me.

20. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I do :p , especially one, Ballack. He is perhaps the best player of the worst german team ever, but he wouldn't not even be on the bench of the german teams of the previous years (before 1996). There are dozens midfielders better than him, Deco, Nedved, Kaka, the brazilian who plays in Lyon, and many others.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.