1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The UK MOT

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Silvery, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    For all those people who aren't for the UK, we have a test here called the MOT which judges whether or not a car is road-worthy.

The test is usually performed by a man and a lot of the time, if it's a womans car, the guy will either talk down to the woman or talk to her partner (if said partner is a man).

Anyway, Rob and his friend are thinking of opening a testing station and I'm thinking of becoming a tester. I would be the only female tester in the area and think it would be a pretty good marketing ploy as well as something I'd be interested on doing.

What is your (honest) opinion on me doing this?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Consideration I don't know anything about your qualifications to administer the test, my opinion is obviously incomplete. With regard to the talking-down-to-women aspect of it, it sounds like a great idea.

3. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Sorry if this comes across badly but why on earth are you bringing your boyfriend along in the first place? Do they not just do the test and then give you a list of things that need to be fixed? I know it sounds bad but if I'm honest if I was a tester and a woman brought her boyfriend along I'd probably assume that it's because she hasn't a clue and wants her boyfriend to do the talking.

On the business, I'm not sure on how the British system works. Can customers choose who they want as their tester? In Ireland the whole thing is very centralised and you pretty much just go at the alloted time. If you're the only female tester in the place then chances are that the women customers will probably end up being tested by a man. So although I think a female tester would be good PR I'm not sure if you could do a lot of marketing based on it.

Rob's your partner isn't he? This would mean both of ye're incomes would be reliant on the business. It might be no harm for one of ye to keep a regular job with a steady income, if you can find one these days. If you don't like your current job of course you may not feel you have much to lose anyway.

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Neither of us work now, we're both retired so the income isn't a problem.
    People can choose their tester really, they make an appointment so we can ask them who'd they prefer.
    I'd assume people took their partners because...erm...their car is in the garage and they need a lift to go get it...

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Retired at 25? Sweet!

6. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Pfft, like a woman can work on cars :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea. You'll be a local feminist hero :)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The UK system sounds pretty strange... here we just drive to the nearest testing garage and all the tests that certify the car for another year are done in about 15 minutes. If the car's fine, you just handle the paperwork and insurance afterwards. If there's a problem with the car, you need to take it to your mechanic to fix the problem. You don't get to choose who's doing the testing and there's usually 4 or 5 mechanics doing it at the same time anyway, so the entire process is very streamlined and fast.

As for talking down, heh, it happens to guys too... I don't know that much about all the various car parts that get tested so getting the test mechanics to explain something to me in layman's terms usually involves a lot of sighing, rolling of eyes, pitiful looks, short answers or completely ignoring the question. Small gods and all that...

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I don't know how it's done in the UK, but here in the US (except CA), they stick a probe down the exaust pipe, put the car on a dyno and the machine does the rest. The tech checks wiper performance, lights, horn, and window tint...if everything on their checklist is ok, you pass. :)

I take my cars to Jiffy Lube because they have the state registration stickers there so I don't have to deal with the DMV. Last time I got my car inspected/registered, a foxy little 18 year old chick did the tests. I wouldn't mind taking a look under her hood! :love:

In all seriousness, I'd never let those Jiffy Lube idiots actually service my car. I'm ok with them inspecting it though, since all they do is look at it, and push a button. :p

9. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can think of a number of problems.

Firstly, and this is the big one - what contact would you actually have with the customer as an assessor. Certainly my experience of MOTs is that I have never actually met the guy who has tested the car. It's always the person in reception I have dealt with. Is it therefore worth going through all the hassle and expense of getting yourself set up as an assessor when you could just be on reception/out front and as long as you understand and can explain simply what the problem is and what needs doing (for us less than mechanically minded men as well :lol:).

Secondly what would be the attraction of a 'female assessor'. Certainly my experience of my local garage is that they explain everything regardless of who they are talking to and they certainly don't talk down. (Possibly related to them being members of the Good Garage Scheme.) What can you offer as a selling point that would make someone move away from their usual place and come to you?

Appreciate this is a rather critical assessment, but better critical now than when you've set it up and finding unforseen problems. Also, don't take this as a 'don't do it'. As long as you've planned for any problems then go for it, and good for you for taking the risk!

10. Silvery

Media:
    We'd need a third assesor anyway and as there would only be three of us working as assesors/mechanics then we'd all be doing the testing and dealing with the customers.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Boobs? :bigeyes:

I'd rather take my car to a shop that has mechanics in mini-shorts and a tight, low cut blouse with a push-up bra underneath! :love:

The girl I took on a date the other night races cars...and generally knows more about them than I do. :D

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Imagine that! Getting a lube job with a lube job! Wohoo!:p

No, seriously Silvery, go for it. Being a chic doesn't matter, if you give good service, you'll get repeat customers. It's that simple.

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

You sure you're talking about a mechanic, Blades?

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I did say "seriously Silvery" in the beginning of that sentence. It's the 1st sentence you should be questioning!:D Though I guess it could be applied here as well. Dirty mind you have there Saber!

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pretty much same here, just with a few more things in addition to that that they check.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Go for it, Silvery, strike a blow for feminists everywhere! Yeeeehaawwww! Girl power! Bra burnings! Public castrations for all men!! Public floggings for all men! Public executions for all men! Research into cloning sperm from women to make men unnecessary to the reproductive process!

Or maybe just stick with being a really good car tester and leave all that other stuff to the psycho feminists. :p

In all seriousness, if the process is as sexist as you say, I'll bet lots of women will come to your shop, so do it and enjoy the money.

17. Silvery

Media:
    Ooooh....I'd never do the castration thing. It'd cost us women too much on batteries!

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The lights went out unexpectedly and people rummage around for a flashlight. After a few moments the lights return and Gil thinks he has a flashlight but is holding ... something battery powered of similar shape....
    Gil: What's this?
    [Sees what it is, laughs and leaves the room.]
    Taylor: Mommy, what was that?
    Karen: [A bit stunned and has a difficult time coming up with a good answer] That was an electric ear cleaner.
    Taylor: It was kind of big.
    Grandma: It sure was!

19. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I think that is what the feminazis forget... if all the men were dead, production in batteries would increase dramatically, using up all the worlds resources and plunging you (eventually) into the Dark Ages again.

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I guess if, as some feminists say, "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle", then it must logically follow that a man without a woman is like a bicycle without a fish. ;)

@Silvery: To stay a bit on topic, I wish you and Rob success if you try it! :thumb: Also, it would give you the opportunity to talk down to blokes who don't know much about cars :heh:.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.