1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The referees at the word cup

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Merlanni, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, our friend from Brasil made a mistake. It can happen. A penalty to Ghana with the score one-nil for Italy can change the match. Mean tackles at the legs from behind neglected to book, and no card for a dive. The pressure on the man must have been great. What will the referee do that has the brasil match?

Is It not better to keep the name secret until the match starts. Is it not time to pull football into the 21 century and use tv images. Look at rugby.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

So far i've seen a lot of unnecessary yellow cards, seems like the refs are trying to have a bigger impact on the games than they should.

3. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Well, the game I remember the most was from the Germany v. Senegal in the previous world cup. There was an incredulous amount of yellow cards given out (absolutely ridiculous, I can't remember the exact number buts its at the very least 8 or more yellow cards) and even the goal keeper, Oliver Kahn was tagged with one.

I was laughing in stitches, it was hilarious.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Since none of those so-called penalties in the Italy - Ghana game was a penalty, no, he did his job pretty well.

And, after looking at the referees from the previous cup, these ones are ****ing gold.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There do seem to have been a lot of yellow cards. Almost one for every foul. You can see that impact when you look at fantasy game results where yellow cards are worth negative points. Usually that would not be too much of an issue, but in this tournament there are negative points everywhere.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

15 yellow cards for the Portugal vs Netherlands game, wasnt it? 4 red cards...I know that is correct for sure...ridiculous.

And if anyone has seen that complete mockery of fair play in the Australia vs. Italy match, then they will surely agree that the refs in this World Cup have hit a new low. I am soooo angry right now... :flaming:

7. Register Gems: 29/31

Faye, it was Germany - Cameroon, not Senegal.

8. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It was disappointing for Australia to go out like that. Unfortunately, Grosso got a fairly soft penalty awarded, and Totti made the most of it. The red card from earlier in the game was questionable, IMO - although the fact that Bresciano was being hacked down just outside the box suggests a deliberateness that merits a straight red.

These things happen. Nobody expected the Socceroos to qualify over Uruguay, to beat Japan, or to make the round of 16. The Socceroos can hold themselves up knowing that they were (arguably) never truly outplayed and outclassed, even against Brazil and Italy.

And just so no-one thinks I'm being magnanimous in defeat... I really hope Italy gets a bollocking in their next match.

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Against Ukraine? Not likely... In fact, it could be another really boring, low scoring match :sleep:

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yeah...but odds are they're going to face Brazil in the semis...oh how I hope Italy get hammered 6-0 or worse!! :flaming:

11. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Obviously you havn't seen any Australian matches, Barmy. Trust me they have been awful in every match we've played.
    Vs. Japan - goal paid by umpire, despite obvious obstruction of our goaly (Schwartzer). This was the only goal until the last 15 minutes where we scored three (to win 3-1). The Egyptian umpire later told Schwartzer something to the effect that he made an error, but it didn't matter because god was on our side

Vs. Brazil possible exception to the bad umpiring decisions

Vs. Croatia Some Croatian guy was given three yellow cards - need I say more

Vs. Italy Full on soft penalty that arguably cost us the game.

Oh well, the boys exceeded all expectations, and as an Australian I'm proud of them. GO AUSSIE!!!!

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I posted that before the few disasters we've had in the refereeing department.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When are they going to introduce video refs? Every other major sport makes use of technology, so why not the so-called 'greatest sport on Earth'?

Plus I want to see them get tougher on that ridiculous play acting. It completely ruins the game and should be stamped out by automatic bookings.

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Joseph Blatter won't ever get video in football. So we will still have crappy refs.
    I'm really tired of refs playing for 'big' teams or worst yet local teams (think Korea); Ballack stoped a ball with his arm clearly intentional and we didn't even got the reply of the play, they replayed every single foul 'daygos' did but almost none from germans... heck.. I'm really $%&//%$$&%... (Argentina did deserved to lose, not because the referee but because just the moment Riquelme was replaced by Cambiasso)

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    They've been plenty of calls for it, but I'm against the idea. I don't want the human aspect taken out of the sport. Would you like the umpires to refer to videos for each LBW decision in test cricket?

And what happens when the guy is really hurt and the ref got it wrong? Obvious dives are punished with an automatic booking, but it's hard to do that with play-acting (which, to be fair, rarely happens). I've seen occasions where a player has gone down writhing in agony, I've screamed at the TV that there's nothing wrng with him and he's just conning the referee... then it turns out he's turn a cruciate or snapped his achilles. Sometimes bad injuries can look really soft.

16. Harbourboy

You're clearly watching a different World Cup to me then. I see ridiculous play acting every five minutes.

One minute you want the human aspect and the next you're worried about getting it wrong. You can't have it both ways!

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Er... yeah, that's exactly what I mean. The ref can't book someone for acting injured just in case they ARE injured, so they can't call it. I don't get what you mean. You find a ref with the bollocks to give someone a card when they are on the floor writhing around. He gives a card then the stretcher comes on and takes the player off because he actually had a ruptured ligament. Not gonna happen. A better idea would be to give the 'injured' player 5 minutes 'recupperation time' off the pitch so they can properly 'recover'. You'd see less then.

If, on the other hand you're taling about diving, that happens in all sports.

18. Sydax Gems: 19/31

There's no need to take out the 'human' side of the sport, but sometimes, a good or bad call can decide the game; there was this play, can't remember the German player, he was about to shot when Tevez slided and took the ball away from the 'shoot path' so the German player shot just air and he felt down like in pain for about 2 minutes, the replay was almost instant, so, the referee can easy watch the replay and judge if it was so bad; Ballack was touched near his shoulder and he droped down the grass like he was an eye out of his face; there were lots of plays were players got yellow cards for nothing, and were players who didn't get anything for almost brake a leg. Vide should help a lot in this kind of plays. Another way could be at the end of the game, if someone got yellow or red for nothing, that player could not get punishment and if someone got away could get it.
    I don't know, but in this world cup were really bad calls that decided some games (ask Australians) and if you ask me, this world cup isn't fair anymore for me, because there's no way that Italy won that game legaly.

19. Register Gems: 29/31

That game stopped being fair at the bull**** red card. Italy knew the referee was bad and they had seen the bad side of it, so it was time to abuse that. The penalty was bull****, but so was the red card, so it evens out, I'd say.

20. Sydax Gems: 19/31

The red car is doubtful, the guy slided very badly; the penalty was a very bad call; and even if were Argentina instead of Italy the one who got the 'gift' I still would think it is unfair; those kind of calls always favour big teams.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.