1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Quick and the Mouseless...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jaguar, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Well, I do now have a laptop, and has become quite noticeable that besides my racing games, the need for a mouse is in many games.

I ask for some good, simple games that:

a) Do not require a mouse
    b) Are fun
    and;
    c) Don't need internet access

I would just like to have some games for when I am stuck at the library for an hour, with no work to do, and nothing left to do on the internet.

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Spiderweb software makes a lot of games that are easy to use without much mousage.

A lot of cool stuff on www.the-underdogs.org is free to download, and quite good, just a bit outdated. I particularly recommend Wasteland, the first great Post-Apoc RPG. It's awesome and doesn't need a mouse.

Also, I think the Exile series is nearly 100% keyboard driven and the 3rd one is quite good.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why don't you buy one of those mini laptop mice?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have a laptop. I play all my games using the trackpad and they work fine.

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@BTA

I could, but really, I don't want to right now. I'd rather just play some simple no mouse games,

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The original civilization is a hellofalot fun

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Bascially any turn based game. Sure some 'need' mouses but they don't need the mouse to be a hand mouse.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Emulator games are good too, but you'll need to have downloaded them first.

9. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As mentioned above: turnbased games!

Just to name a few: Korsun pocket and civ 3, including the conquests expansion!

Of other strategy games there are the games from Paradox, spanning from Europa Universalis II over Hearts of iron, victoria and Crusader kings. I think they have made a game for every timeperiod since the dark ages.

But of course, these games aren't exactly simple...

Some of the old abandonware games can be quite fun, although it should be noted that they are still technically illegal to copy. However, a game like the old Colonization for windows can be rather entertaining. Only prob. should be to get these games running on windows XP....

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Actually, getting wasteland and the gold box games to run on WinXp Pro was a cinch, oddly enough. I don't think I even used compatibility mode.

Just as Grovflab said,Korsun Pocket is really good as far as hex games go.

11. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just a sidenote about Korsun Pocket though... I'd wish they'd included more scenarios and campaigns...

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Any pinball game should do for what you need, Jaguar.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Oh yeah, how could I forget the gold box D&D games? Anyone on these boards should like a D&D rpg... even if it's all played via hotkeys.

[EDIT]Laggy connection actually cuts my message short [/EDIT]

[ September 18, 2004, 05:55: Message edited by: Blog ]

14. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Yes, the Gold Box games OWN. And they're even free to download off of www.the-underdogs.org.

A lot of those old games are surprisingly easy to get into as well.

15. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Icy Tower (free lunch designs) - Iv'e spent hours on this highly adictive game - takes a while to get used to though.

16. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Pocket Tanks (Demo contains less weapons than full version but you can play it as much as you want) is quite a good scorched earth type game.

Liero doesn't need a mouse and is a also a fun game.

Liquid War is another good keyboard only game.

[EDIT] Just Remembered Pocket Tanks does require a mouse for selection of weapons so that's a no-no.

[ September 18, 2004, 13:27: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

17. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Escape From Monkey Island is great fun and doesn't need a mouse :) .

18. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Grim Fandango also.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Space Rogue - really funky old DOS RPG. Pretty sure it doesn't require a mouse at all.

20. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The old-school Super Mario games, especially Super Mario 64, which I consider to be the last "pure" Super Mario game. Playing that the first time around gives you this certain zen feeling where you know exactly what you want to be doing. Of course, that feeling turns into frustration when you get to Cool, Cool Mountain and have to put the snowman's head on his body. But seriously, the environments are so freaking cool.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.