1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The one word story

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I hate that topic! Somebody please close it! It's just there for people to get better stats quicker. I doubt anyone have ever cared to read the whole thing, and it doesn't make any sense.

2. Wingfoot Guest

yep, the only reason i post in that thread is to jack up my stats man! cuz well thats what i'm all about. jackin up my stats!

3. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Just ask somebody to write down all the words and you will see that you can get a good laugh out of some parts if you see the story in one piece. But I agree with you at some points, unfortunately there are some people who ruin the story by posting 'rubbish' words. Maybe if we start a new one word story thread with certain rules on word posting, this can be prevented.

And who really cares about upgrading the avatars as quick as possible. It's nice to see them, and I really appreciate the work put into it by Tal, but if you're just posting to upgrade your avatar, the moderators will find out eventually and sentence the person(s) involved ;)

Nothing wrong in posting in this story, as long as you don't post in it exclusively and too often. (Btw, no offense meant to anyone)

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

One can be impressed by the size of the thread, and there is a good chance that it is quite funny. But it makes no sense! It's just there for boosting stats up.

5. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ok, point taken, but I had to reply to keep my True Neutral alignment up ;)

6. Wingfoot Guest

true Mollusken. i agree, i was just being a smart ass. its taking up valuable space and should be REMOVED from the forum. but until then i will keep posting in it!

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Yeah ask someone to write it all down. It's too damn tedious to read page by page, word by word (no pun intended), besides my modem's so shitty it may hang if i tried to read all that stuff :p

8. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Whoops! Didn't see this post before I wrote my opinion.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Do people really post more just to look like a big gun? How pathetic!

Personally, I enjoy the one word story. It is challenging becase, as the Bard (Shaksspear) said, the test of wit is brevity.

The goal of the one word story is for everyone to maintain a thought, while every now and then catching people by surprise. It is also hard to tell a joke when you can only (at best) interject every other, or every third word (assuming you have nothing else to do!)

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] A thought? Put a bloody limit on the 1 word story. OF COURSE lots of people post there just to increase their rating, as wingfoot so accurately stated ;) , do you think anyone's gonna read those 17 or so pages then just put in 1 word at the end? :rolleyes: It may be "a test of wit and brevity" and if I considered it as much, I would take it up too, but right now it's a spam sammich :D
    -sometimes the wise aren't-

11. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Not on your life, matey! Arr.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 19, 2001).]

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Arkados, bad idea. Edit it or I will.

As for the One word story topic... I'd rather have all the idiocy confined to one topic than let it go on all over the boards. Wouldn't you?

13. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I like the One Word Story...and would hate to see to be locked...

And if you have a problem with it then ignore it.

14. Wingfoot Guest

dont lock it. just REMOVE it from this forum. its an eyesore. but thats not gonna keep me from posting in it!

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

And they're accusing me for spamming.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Well you do, it's just that everyone does a little as well :D You got a point there Tal... but is there anyone <seriously> that actually READS the damn thing before adding another slice of letuce or tomato or a smattering of mayo to the Spamwich? As far as I know, right now? I say thee nay! While, it does confine a lot of the idiocy to one topic, it's a rating-raising spamwich :) Oh, it doesn't "offend me greatly" or anything like that, I was just belaboring the obvious for some of the people that couldn't see a car if it hit them ;) (like me) :D

17. Sol'Kanar Guest

I think the reason it doesn't make sense is because people tend only to look at the word above or the words on that page before posting. Then they just post a seemingly random word and we end up with a heap of gibberish.

18. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

hey taluntain, i was just kidding.
    strange way to edit it though, heh.
    no offence taken.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh good. I was getting tired of all the touchy-feely types lately. I like a man that can stand his post being edited. ;)

20. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I sometimes read the pages...but i usually read from the beginning of the sentence.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.