1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The New SP Design is Up!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wooo! Nice. You must be glad to have finally got that up. Well done. :thumb:

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, well well. :D It's been a long time coming, and I must say, well worth the wait! Absolutely fabulous.....such an improvement on look, use of space, ease of navigation. It's just magnificent....and I'm sure, lots of hard work! Congratulations to you and SP!

4. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Excellent Tal! Looks great. Good work.

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Holy Sh!t - that's a whole different SP I'm looking at - way cool though.
    Good job! :thumb:
    :borg:

6. Heerscher Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This is a huge improvement! Not that I didn't like the old design, but this is so much better! Great work!

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm not sure I understand the SPS accounts bit fully though. How mcuh do you have to donate and what do you get other than a different level of ads?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's all explained in the FAQ and on the Sign-up page. Check the links in the Subsections table on the right side of the page when you're in the SPS Accounts section.

(Links to pages inside sections are now on the right side; check the front page for my intro on the new navigation.)

9. Harbourboy

Aha, I see now. Sorry, I didn't look far enough past the first intro.

10. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I definately like the new design. Well done!

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Np, it's somewhat different than before, so it'll take a bit of getting used to. ;)

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal - can you create a bug reporting thread for the new design? It isn't looking so peachy from my point of view (not the design look itself, the coding just appears to be broken for me). For example, the menus on the right and left are located in the dead center of the scroll, rather than at the top.

I wish I could say it looks great - but I will say that it appears to be a nice improvement. Maybe I'll try it on a different computer later.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    This thread can be used for any bug reports.

Which browser are you using? And at which page are you seeing this?

14. Harbourboy

The link to the home page from the top left corner of the Message Board page doesn't work for me - it takes me to your 'error' page.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    The links on the boards are being fixed as we speak.

16. Harbourboy

That was fast. It now works fine.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Argh! It is different! It is not the same! I have to honestly say that I prefered the old design. This looks a bit crowded and it feels like I have seen it many places elsewhere.

However it is good that it is finally done and you wont need to worry about it no more. :)

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Tal

The problems I mention are on the home page. The browser I'm using is Safari, on a G4. I also have Internet Explorer, and at the time I wrote my last post it wouldn't even load in IE. But now it's up in IE and it looks great (kudos). It may just be my Safari browser (which would suck, because that's my primary/favorite browser). Also, in Safari, your cool little border doesn't even appear.

Another thing - can you change the link scripting so that links change color one you've viewed them? As you recall, on the other design new links appeared in Red, and viewed links appeared in white. Now, they appear in that off-white color you have now in both states.

19. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

The design looks really cool.

However, there is something odd about the navigation in the games section. When you are in the games index, there is a link in the subsection menu to the index. However, when you click on a game, you can't return to the index without using the 'back'-button in your browser. I don't know if this was planned or a mistake, but it just seemed a bit weird.

And as long as we're talking about how it looks in different browsers: if you go to a game in the games section with Firefox, there is a grey line underneath some download buttons. However, some download buttons look just fine. Just some small flaws I guess, which are inevitable with every new site.

Lastly, how are the nice color changes effects of the links done? It changes colors gradually with IE on my pc, however, with Firefox it just changes colors. Maybe with a simple change of the settings, I can also get the full experience with Firefox. (Or Firefox may just not support it.)

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah, Safari... one we didn't test it on. I'm afraid I didn't know anyone who used it, nor did it occur to me it could be an issue. Catbert tells me any decent css-capabale browser should be able to display the design fine. Sorry if it doesn't work on your favourite browser, but I don't think we can do anything about it at this point. I'm surprised the old design worked for you in Safari, it had issues even with Mozilla.

As for visited links not being marked; that's a downside of the link colour fader, visited links aren't being marked. It bothered me at first too, but now I actually like links staying the same colour around the site. Personal preference I guess, it takes a bit of getting used to. Might get changed in the future.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.