1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Mystery Of the Missing Memory!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Clixby, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I seem to have taken up roughly 36 Gbs of memory on my computer. while, in proportion to the maximum amount of memory my compy has (180-ish) it's slightly disconcerting, as I'm pretty Spartan when it comes to memory usage, e.g if I'm not playing a specific game RIGHT NOW I uninstall it.
    It's pretty strange, 'cause the same thing happened with my old compy, although it only capped at about 9 gigs and the max I could have was about 60.
    So what's going on? are portions of my compy's memory being stolen and offered to Elder Ones?
    That was my first guess.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What OS are you running? I find the OS is a memory hog (XP especially).

3. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I've got XP, so you're probably right.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    XP creates a folder for the Restore option, which switches back your computer to a previous state. Naturally this means storing the state your drive is in, and that takes a huge amount of space, more and more with time. Turning off Restore and deleting everything it leaves behind should free up a lot of space.

5. Clixby Gems: 13/31

(I'm posting this in this thread so I don't have to start a new one and look tech-stupid.)

I think someone is using my Internets. I use a wireless router, and earlier today I found under the available wireless networks there was a secure network called "vietnam22". I didn't put it there, and I know no-one else in the house put it there, so what the heck is this?

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Who cares: delete it. Official networks would never have such names, so I'm willing to bet that someone did put it there without you knowing. Malware, dummy server, pr0no-downloading family member... Your bet, but I would double-check the security settings too.

7. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@MM: Did it say (in the wireless networks available screen) that you were connected to it, or did you have the option to 'Connect' to it?

The fact that you can see a network doesn't mean that you are connected to it, or that they are connected to your own computer. Your Wireless card will pick up and display any wireless network available in your vicinity, especially if you have the card set up to connect to any network available, which is the standard for a laptop on the move, or your everyday broadband router.

For all you know, your neighbour may have got broadband and that could be their SSID (or public name).

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] In the future, please don't hijack unrelated threads. We have a rule against that. Making a new thread is the right way to go.

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31

@Colthrun:
    Yep. That was about it. I ran my Ad-Aware thing and Norton, found some bugs, got rid of 'em, and it's gone away now anyway.

@Taluntain:
    Sorry, I'll keep that in mind.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.