1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Lesser Spotted Character Class

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chelsea, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Chelsea Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Having now played the game quite a few times I was wondering if ANYONE had played certain classes that you never hear of on the board.

I have yet to hear of anyone plaing a Beast Master (Ranger), Totemic Druid (Druid), Avenger (Druid), Jester or Skald (both Bards).

So has anyone played these classes and how did they turn out?

2. Elenias Nal'nair Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] ...I think Jester is no fun at all... :D

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The Avenger is awfully difficult to play but it gets powerful later. So does the Totemic Druid.

4. Kyrn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have played as a Human CN Jester (with Dex18, Str16, Cons15, Int15, Char14, Wis12). In the begining apart from the Bard Song and his pickpocketting abilities and his Lore I was mainly using him with a Crossbow. After a certain level using a mail that allows you to cast magic (mainly defensive) and dual-wielding Katanas he became more powerful in melee.
    In a Roleplaying sense I was trying to follow the "Chaotic Jester dialogs" and together with Haer'Dalis put everyone through misery ;)

I Surely recommend it.

5. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Beast master aint very good hes just a bad ranger who can summon thas all. and i DONT like that "OK, lets summon a hundred monsters and animals so we can kill everything and still consider ourselves to be roleplayers and not powergamers" strategy

[This message has been edited by Firestorm (edited January 12, 2001).]

6. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Dont restart that debate. Or everyone here will start to feel yellow.

lol.

[This message has been edited by Wassup (edited January 12, 2001).]

7. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Haven't played any of them but one golden rule is IMHO never play as a fighter, they do get really powerful but are really dull to play.

8. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Bah, there are some classes that should never be played! Unless there are those who are REALLY bored and truly wish to find out how dull 'such and such' class is.

However, if the game DESIGN weaved a enchanting story around a Totemic Druid, Skald or the like then many would give it a try.

I recall a post like this back when BG1 was just released. Most pen and paper AD&D gamers rarely played a Druid or Bard. But these classes were woven into the storyline in the game in BG1 and RPG'ers recieved a 'enlightened' view on these classes. Of course this led many to play those classes in other BG1 episodes as well as pen & paper campaigns.

But I still stand solid that some classes... just can't be played unless one is REALLY bored. -Of course my opinions here.

9. Maveroick Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Eep, now I feel bad...Oh well, it's my first time playing anyways...I've found it fun to go around with a fighter Kensai cutting people up with 2 katana (big samurai fan, I guess).

Mav

10. Mightymite89 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] My friend has been playing as a Totemic druid and has been having some trouble in fights. Whenever he and I compare fights, it always seems like ha has had the worst time while I find it completely easy. Like when he fought a group of OGRILLONS, he said he had trouble. Totemic druid sucks as far as I can see.(played as a Cavalier myslef)

11. Shura Gems: 25/31

Hmmm, the druid classes seem to be very fun. Despite my long time here, I've never played a druid. I'll have to try that class out.

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Man. I played a totemic druid and i summoned a spirit snake and it got dire charmed and killed my whole party either with its bite itself or with its poison

13. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hey now, what's wrong with fighters?

You have the most points to allocate to different skills, you can have more than two proficiencies on weapons, AND THEY HAVE NO DRAWBACKS!!! They can wear any armor, use any weapon, etc. unless it is a specified item.

14. Shura Gems: 25/31

Forget it Sapiryl. These people feel that fighters suck because they provide too little room for 'roleplaying'. :D

15. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have to say, I've always preferred fighters to magic users. I tend to end up lugging around a thousand scrolls that I forget to use. The various fighter kits also allow for more creative role playing. My wizard slayer is front line offense any time we battle a mage. Her spell disruption has saved Minsc's hide more times than I can count. And of course her inability to use potions of any kind, including healing, also adds to the character development.

Then again, I think I really just *love* to be the one who sends bloody mage pieces flying through the air.

No offense, Sorcerer ... ;)

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I've always liked the fighter sub-classes: Especially paladins (surprise, surprise) and rangers. I like the fact that they have some spell and special abilities, plus the strength in fighting.

I'll make a mage on occasion, but I prefer getting my hands dirty on the front line, and mages rarely want to do that. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.