1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Greatest Generation

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This morning I watched a lecture by noted historian, Rick Atkinson. He was speaking on his recent book, _An Army at Dawn_, which is the first volume of the history of the American Army of World War II. Atkinson was also one of those embedded journalists, who went into Iraq with 101st Airborn.

The whole point of this is that Rick took NBC anchorman and author, Tom Brokaw a bit to task for his framing of the World War II generation as the "greatest generation." His comment was, "The greatest generation compared to which? The Revolutionary generation? The Civil War generation?" I think you can see where he was headed.

Thus, I got to thinking about how each country must have its own version of the "greatest generation." I really believe that this has the potential to be a good thread, especially after the "What America Stands for to You" thread. The reason is that people eveywhere must be sick to death of hearing about "America" and what "Americans think." Rallymama made a good point in that America is not alone on the world stage of events. But I am by no means saying that Americans on this board should not comment, for by all means, those comments will add to the overall content here, hopefully.

In addition, every country has had its great moments - America is not the exception - sometimes it only acts like it. The object on this thread is for everyone, everywhere to speak to what has been his/her country's greatest moments and the countrymen behind those moments. While you can certainly comment on posts made by anyone, on any country, you must first contribute by posting about YOUR country's greatest generation, and its meaning to you, before hand.

And I would like to comment right up front, that for me, the Revolutionary generation was the greatest, as well as America's finest moment in history, thus far. I will elaborate later, after others have had their say. So, which is it for you?

[ April 04, 2005, 03:03: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Ah, a thread of nationalistic boasting! Just what we all need. ;)

The generation that fought for our independence and freedom during Winter War and Continuation War. There is really no other option for me. There may have been dark moments in that war that are less worthy to be proud of but I'm sure every war has its dark moments on both sides.

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Well I can't choose just one generation from almost 3000 years, so I would say the generations from 500 BC to 300 BC since the majority of the most important military, political, literature, philosophy and science personalities (Alexander, Pericles, Plato, Euripides, Leonidas, Herodotus etc.)lived during this period. As far as modern Greece is concerned I would say those who fought in the war of independence (1821-1830)and set the foundations of the modern greek state.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, I would have to say something really boring like the generation that built Sweden after WW2. I think they built a society which may be far from perfect but looking around the world it appears to be one of the better ones.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

probably the previous generation where the Philippines ousted a Dicatator that had waived the writ of habeas corpus and declared marshall law.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

We would probably say World War II also. ANZAC day is coming up in New Zealand where we commemorate those that died in defence of Australia and New Zealand, national holiday, much respect given to veterens and poppies everywhere.

I guess we were most proud because our boys fought in a war for Queen and country of origin in the blastard deserts of Africa and in the cold of Europe which happens to pretty much be on the other side of the world.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I refuse to say that one generation was better than another one just because they happened to have to go to war (terrible though that was). Whilst I have the utmost admiration for those who fought for their country, I do not think that that makes them great.

This is such a hard question. I would have to say the generation of Polynesians who first came to New Zealand in little wooden canoes across the largest ocean in the world and somehow managed to establish themselves here. Unbelievable stuff. Look at how hard it is for Ellen McArthur to sail around the world with her high tech yacht and satellite communications and you'll get some idea of the enormity of that achievement.

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

In my opinion the generation of my grandparents, who rebuilt everything from scratch.
    Auferstanden aus Ruinen.

In so many ways.

I like to think that they are held in high regard around here.

9. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Landing a man on the moon. One of history's milestones.

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Denying it ever happened. The most shameful generation ever... :(

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Landing a man on the moon? Great milestone, but how is that the achievement of a whole generation?

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    HB - I think, but I'm not 100 percent sure, that he is referring to the generation that created the space program, which led to the moon landing. It's kind of thought of as the "JFK" generation, since he was the driving force behind getting an American on the moon before the Russians.

13. Harbourboy

Yeah, but defining the quality of a whole generation based on the efforts of the people involved in the space program seems to be giving credit to a lot of people who did nothing to earn it (we're talking the 60s after all).

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, that can encompass quite a lot - the Vietnam War, the Peace Corp, the civil rights movement, etc. Think of it as the Forrest Gump generation then, HB.

15. Harbourboy

Or the semi-conscious Woodstock generation . . . .

16. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The Sixties...the Sixties...God, we were all so stoned...something must have happened...Yeah!...Yeah!...I remember...these three guys...they built this great ladder...out of wood, man...and they used pegs instead of nails...and it was REALLY ORGANIC...and it was tall...really tall...and they CLIMBED IT...and they wound up on the MOON!...can you dig it???...man, that must have been some trip...

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I agree that the Sixties was a great generation but not because of the dope. The protest against the Vietnam War, the civil rights movement and landing a man on the moon. Yes, the Peace Corp too. It was also a time of questioning the values and morals of the past generations. Even the Moon children with their flowers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.