1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Game Pantheon

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 15, 2012.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This was inspired based on a discussion with Skyrim. Most agree it's really good, but I'm not sure if it's great.

So I'm asking what's your personal "Pantheon: of games in terms of the enjoyment level they gave you. Keep in mind that the Pantheon should be a very exclusive group. You can't have 50 games in the Pantheon. It should probably be a single-digit number.

It's like the difference between BG/SoA/ToB as compared with IWD/HoW/TotL. The former is a Pantheon game series, the latter is just very good (at least for me). Or the difference between the Diablo series and Warcraft/Starcraft series. Again, the first is Pantheon, the second for me isn't, but still a great game series. The Total War series is another example of a great game that falls just short of Pantheon status. And I think Skyrim is going to come up just short as well.

My Pantheon is a very, very, exclusive group. It's the BG series, the Diablo series, the Civilization series, Sid Meier's Pirates (countless hours spent on both the original and subsequent one 20 years later), and the Pool of Radiance Series (Forgotten Realms) from TSR dating back to the 1980s of my childhood. I think I probably played Curse of the Azure Bonds the most of that group.

EDIT: And yes, the Dragonlance series - thanks Blades - that was a big miss on the list.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Avatar series from Origin -- Ultima/Worlds of Ultima/Ultima Underworld. Martian Dreams and Ultima VII (Parts I and II) are the best RPGs ever. The next tier includes the BG series, Torment and Fallout/Fallout II (haven't played Fallout III yet). The old D&D games (gold box and few that followed it like Menzoberranzan, Al-Qadim and Dark Sun) are sentimental favorites but not quite in my pantheon.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

In no particular order...

Dragonlance Series of Cok/DKoK/DQoK
    Forgotten Realms Series of PoR/CotAB/SotSB/PoD
    Darksun Series
    Baldur's Gate Series
    Wizardry Series
    Might and Magic Series(original games, NOT the Heroes of games)
    Ultima Series
    SSIs General Series - Panzer General/Allied General/Fantasy General
    Realms of Arkania I & II

Not included in the list but one of my faves... Infocom's series of text-based Zork Games - my first foray into PC madness!:)

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Never got into Zork, but the omission of the Dragonlance Series right next to Forgotten Realms Series was a big miss on my part. I'm amending my list.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Talking about text adventures, the Enchanter series from Infocom was the greatest! :)

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So were Wishbringer, Planetfall & Spacefall. Also as an honorable mention....

The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy. Don't remember the developer though. I don't think it was Infocom.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Return to Zork was awesome. The beginning was a nice tribute. For text adventures how can you not list "Leather Goddesses of Phobos"?

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Gee... I think it's time for a younger person's pantheon. Most of these games I've never heard about.

Elder Scrolls III/IV/V (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) -- Maybe Skyrim isn't perfect but I've still played it for more than a 100+ hours on a single character. Same for Morrowind and Oblivion. It's by far my favorite series of game. -- By the end of Shivering Isle, my Breton "awesome" (custom class) reached the level cap, had 100% magic resistance, 100 points in Blade, Block, Destruction, Conjuration, and Restoration -- I was for all intent and purposes invincible.

Fallout I/II/III/New Vegas -- just awesome, though I cannot understand why they just didn't called NV Fallout IV. (the third is my personal favorite). Obviously I played the two first after the third, seeing as I was way to young to enjoy them when they actually came out. Best Moment ? Finding the TARDIS by accident in the original fallout, awesome.

the Baldur's Gate Saga (Trilogy?) -- I mean TotSC didn't really add anything to the overall story arc the way ToB did, that's why I say it's a trilogy.

The Longest Journey / Dreamfall; "classic" adventure game with an original plot. An underdog to say the least. Alright Dreamfall still has some serious issue, clumsy controls, token and boring "fighting" sequences, but meh still pretty awesome.

Edit:
    How could I forgot Sid Meier's Civilization ?! -- Mind you I only played the III/IV/V but still the best damn strategy games to me. It baffles me that some people think Warcraft of Starcraft are better strategy game. Nonsense.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, Starcraft/Warcraft are not really comparable to Civilization. Completely different games. It is like comparing BG to Civ.

My pantheon would be:
    Civilization I-IV
    World of Warcraft
    Elderscrolls III-V
    Rome and Medieval II: TW
    Infinity Engine Games

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I have played plenty of games over the years but the only ones that have really captivated me and had me play them again and again are:

Planescape: Torment
    The Baldur's Gate series
    Starcraft
    Dungeon Keeper II

11. Blades of Vanatar

Plansescape:Torment! How did I forget about that one... probably the best game I ever had played. I was thinking series..dolt!

The Hitchhiker's was made by Infocom. Man, it's been a long time.... I think I played that about 23 years ago.....

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have 3 games (in order):

BG2/ToB.
    Diablo (the original). It was one of the first computer games I played, and I was completely hooked.
    System Shock 2. The only FPS I have played more than once, due to the RPG elements and the completely different experience you can get playing different characters.

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If I just limit myself to games that I find myself coming back to again and again, the list will be fairly short.

Medieval II: Total War - simply so much fun and so much replayability. Great game.

Baldur's Gate series - still a lot of fun to play, to try different combinations, different classes, different themed parties.

Saint's Row 2 - basically a GTA clone that is what GTA should be. Lacking the good story from the GTA games, but more than makes up for it in gameplay and fun. GTA has taken a turn for realism, but realism is not a lot of fun in sandbox games like this.

STALKER series - great atmosphere and fun gameplay. This is how a survival game should feel like. Fallout 3 and NV got nothing on this.

Morrowind - trance inducing jumping around on Vvardenfel. Playing superman and jumping from mountain top to mountian top is just a lot of fun.

Deus Ex - still a game that surprises me every time I play it by how well the gameplay works and how well the story is told.

14. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. GTA 4 was so ridiculously disappointing to me. I honestly think I only logged maybe five hours before getting bored with it. Saint's Row 2 and 3, on the other hand, I've easily logged probably 60+ hours in each of them. Like you said, realism in a sandbox game isn't nearly as fun as all out ridiculousness.

The only games for me that haven't been mentioned yet are the Space Quest series. First series of video games I played on a computer. Even though the last one came out when I was 6, I still find myself going back to them quite often.

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Monkey Island I-III
    Civilization I
    Colonization I (playing it now on DosBox :) )
    Baldur's Gate II
    Hero's Quest / Quest for Glory saga
    Caesar III
    Majesty I

Non-pc:
    Xbox: DefJam - Fight for New York

This might become one:
    Wii: House of the Dead - Overkill

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The Baldurs Gate Series
    Planescape: Torment
    The Black & White Games
    Children of the Nile
    The Sims 2 (Oh yeah, I went there :p)
    Icewind Dale Series
    Mortal Kombat (2011/9)

I actually think that might be it; Sacrifice, Ghost master and Evil Genius have a place in my heart, so does Gruntz actually, but the games above are the ones I return to time and again. Fallout 1 & 2 I had difficulty falling in love with like I did the other games on the list, though Fallout 3 is certainly interesting. Morrowing and Skyrim are on the same level, I pretty much enjoy making the character more than following the story.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Civilization I to IV
    Icewind Dale II
    Cobra Command
    Centipede
    Space Invaders
    Snow Bros
    Bubble bobble

Pretty much the 7 games that have made up 90% of my game playing life, although Civilisation II probably makes up 50% of that all on its own.

18. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Hmm... a small Pantheon of the best games. Now that is a difficult one to come up with because there are a lot of great games that deserve to be there. But for certain it would include Subspace (AKA Continuum). It is the only MMO that I play and have been playing more or less actively since 1996. No other game comes even close to the thousands of gaming hours spent. As for other games... I have to think about it, hard choices.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Oh, I didn't even go that old school on you. If I were willing to go back to my early console playing days, I could have named Earth Worm Jim as a completely awesome game for the Sega Genesis as just one example. Don't make me go Atari 2600 on your ass... that's when you didn't get unlimited "lives" for your pixels.

Criminally under-rated. Although I have to admit that I just didn't play them enough to get to my Pantheon. I always played the monkey.

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I thought about adding Fallout 1 & 2 and PS:T to the list, but while I think they are great games, I don't really find myself coming back again and again to them. Out of them, Fallout 2 has the most appeal to be replayed a lot to me, because it has the most sandboxy-playground to mess around in.

But if I mention them, I feel like I should at least mention Jagged Alliance 2 as well. That was great fun to play too. And Painkiller. And Red Faction (the original) - I spent an inordinate amount of time playing that game. And Neverwinter Nights. But then, we're trying to keep the lists fairly short and these are just not the games that I'm still playing fairly regularly. Well, excepting maybe Painkiller.

Not underrated in my book. It was fun for a while, but trying to coerce your animal and your followers to do what I wanted them to do got on my nerves after a while. So mostly I ended up with a very friendly animal while I beat up everybody because they wouldn't do what I wanted to do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.