1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Earthsea Quartet

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sir Dargorn, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

This is quite brilliant little set which i found many years ago while in the school library. Never finished it so i am going back later to find it and complete it.
    What i loved about t most was that it treated magic in a different way. She thought of it as something that qizards used rarely and it was much more integrated with nature. No fireballs or gas clouds, just weather changing and true names. Quite a lame idea at first hearing but it grows on you and rapidly becomes an equal to LOTR.
    Anyone else read it/agree with me?

2. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have only read the first one- "The Wizard of Earthsea"- but I love it, and have read it many times over since I was quite little. In fact, when I first read "Harry Potter", my first impression was that it was a low-quality remake of "The Wizard of Earthsea".

[Edit: Invoker, I really loved "The Dispossessed" too.]

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited March 04, 2002).]

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Earthsea is pretty good. It is one of the older fantasy series. Its not as in depht with the world that the auther created that many others are but the characters are great, and there is a dark appealing mood in the entire series. Le Guin has written some good sci-fi too.

4. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Yeah The Earthsea Quartet is one of my favourties. The first book being the best imo. Ged being the best developed spellcaster character I've read after Raistlin.

Ursula Le Guin's other sci-fi books are pretty good as well. 'The Left Hand of Darkness' comes to mind. And of course there's the masterpiece 'The Dispossesed' which I think is a brilliant take on anarchism and I highly recommend it ;)

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

You get much more of the "world" in the newest book, "The Other Wind". I quite liked it. Another excellent book by a consistently excellent author.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The Earthsea books are wonderful. Le Guin is a gifted storyteller. Anyone read "The Left Hand of Darkness"? It is brilliant, and can be purchased from Amazon.com throught SP! ;)

7. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I couldn't get into "Tehanu" (spelling, anyone?) but the others in the series were fantastic. When I was little, my mom read them to me and my brothers and sisters. I literally burst into tears when we read about him finding his little pet there near the end.

:cry:

EDIT:
    His pet was an otak. Cute little ferrety thing. Or was it more like a hedgehog? I don't remember now...

[This message has been edited by Sapiryl (edited March 07, 2002).]

8. zaknafein Guest

yeah i liked that thing (what was it?)

9. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Yeah i cried when the Otak died.......but i get a good feeling that it may come back.

Am i under the impression that there are actually now more than four of these books? has she released new books set on this world and are they centered on the same chracter?

10. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sorry, otak doesn't come back, and I don't think that she wrote any more than the four.

Although if you want more LeGuin goodness, read the Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed.

11. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

The series currently consists of:

A Wizard of Earthsea
    The Tombs of Atuan
    The Farthest Shore
    Tehanu
    The Other Wind
    Tales from Earthsea

The 'story' is essentially complete at the conclusion of "The Other Wind". Tales of from Earthsea is an anthology with stories from different eras, some dealing with Ged and some not. If there is more Earthsea stuff forthcoming, it will likely be along those lines since there is no real logical follow up to the "The Other Wind".

Aloha
    Vormaerin

12. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Noooo! the otak!
    Thanks guys for the info.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.