1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best paladin option

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Taz, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Taz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi

what is the best choise for a paladin : A high lvl paladin/ 4 lvls in fighter or just the opposite ??.

And are there any difference to which class i start out with for example Aasimar Fighter lvl1 2 feats Aasimar paladin 1 feat.

And as far i know when you start out as paladin and you change to fighter (only tried at lvl 1)at first lvl up i get only 1 feat from a fighter and 1 feat if i do it the oppsite way :S (should still have 2 fighter feats at lvl 1. But at what we find out here which way i shoul take, Does it harm the paladin class i start out as Fighter and then change to paladin such as nor the same bonusses and saving throws and more ?? please guide me.

[ February 03, 2003, 23:50: Message edited by: Extremist ]

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here's my Paladin build.

Aasimar Paladin of Helm x/ Fighter 4.

Stats:

Strength 14
    Dexterity 12
    Constitution 18
    Intelligence 3
    Wisdom 13
    Charisma 20

Four levels of fighter means three extra feats, and the ability to score +2 damage with the Holy Avenger.

Paladin is the main class, since it means increasing the power of both the Lay on Hands and Smite Evil powers.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Personally I'm biased towards straight paladin. But that's just me.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm thinking about doing a paladin/cleric ... keeping the levels close together.

No real power-gaming issue there...that's just my personality. :good:

5. Taz Gems: 2/31

To Beren

Strength 14
    Dexterity 12
    Constitution 18
    Intelligence 3
    Wisdom 13
    Charisma 20

These stats you gave to you paladin can they be regulated so i take most of the wisdom points to str (18) and 1 point to dex (13 because of Dirty Fighting) and that means 8 wisdom, then i need 8 points to use the paladin maximum lvl 6 spells. Are there any items that boosts wisdom to 16 and are the paladin spells so good that you will sacrifice the strength and 1 point dex for Dirty fighting ??

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's a reason for the particular way that I construct my Paladin.

I usually add ability bonuses to Charisma. At 12th level, I add 1 to Strength. When the Holy Avenger is acquired, another +1 to Strength bringing it to 16. I then acquire the Little Giant Girdle (+4 to strength) bringing it to 20. Couple this with the rocking Holy Avenger (not the Rubber Chicken by the way) and Weapon Specialization: Long Swords and my Paladin doesn't lack for cranking out the damage.

Wisdom, there's a ring called Tyrannar's Band (+2 to both Wisdom and Charisma), which is tailor made for the Paladin. Of greater interest to you though may be another ring, the Every God Ring (+5 to Wisdom). But I have my Cleric wear it.

As for Dirty Fighting, all I can say is that if my Paladin lands a critical hit, blindness or slowness is by then a moot point because the victim is usually almost ready to die as it is.

IWD2 does encourage a player to develop and plan his characters down to every last microscopic detail.

[ February 07, 2003, 04:45: Message edited by: Beren ]

7. Taz Gems: 2/31

yes you are correct but one more thing in one of the other posts i saw Faragon write to you that the girldle +4 str cant be used by paladins ?!?

he said qoute : And you are correct Beren, there are several ways to boost STR to very good heights using items. But iirc Paladins aren't allowed to use the +4 STR belt. Mine made do with the +2 one.

What the hell does iirc stand for ?

[Look here: http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000015 - BTA]

BTW beren you rock!! :) but i made a post about Alignment can you say (and i survive i you spoil) if there is any wild evil alignment items that i would tair all my hair out if not getting them i need to play that game now ;)

And about the every 4 lvl ability points +6 on charisma and +1 to str ?

[ February 07, 2003, 05:17: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

8. Beren

Media:
    Thanks for the compliment Taz :)

No idea what iirc means, but ...

To answer your question, Faragon's preference is for a single-class Paladin. His main reason is that he wants to get the utmost out of Lay on Hands. My Paladin build can use the Little Giant girdle because he also has fighter levels.

* Spoilers *
    The only three evil weapons that I can remember off-hand are the Massive Halberd of Hate, which scores some pretty heavy damage and some sort of nasty debilitative effect on its wearer. Then there's the Flail of Veranon, which also inflicts considerable fire damage with each hit. Then there is Saablic Tan's dagger, which raises Intelligence and has a small chance to petrify its target.

So my analysis is, a good-aligned party is not going to shed tears over not being able to access evil items. The majority of items do not have alignment restrictions, and those that are good aligned (like the frequently and erroneously bashed Holy Avenger) will do any right by any good-aligned party.

[ February 07, 2003, 04:55: Message edited by: Beren ]

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

IIRC means If I remember Correctly, or for you pesky people like Master of Nuhn, If I recall correctly. :p

And indeed fighterlevels should allow you to use that belt.

As for stats, I wonder Beren, what do you have the 12 Dex for? For AC boost?

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So you remembered correctly, my dear Faragon. :)

Searching for something not off-topic....
    Searching...
    Searching...
    Erm...

I think I would lower the Dex to 10 and put the points in strength or wis.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to erm..contribute. :heh: ;)

11. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Too bad the Holy Avenger can only be used by "paladins". Other weapons are not so restricted...

12. Beren

Media:
    Yes, the dexterity at 12 is to take advantage of the +1 dexterity bonus allowed by Full Plate.

Dexterity 12 + Snow Leopard Charm + Tower Shield +2 + Brazen Bands + Mithral Field Plate +2 = pretty hard to it.

And yes, I know this just doesn't fly in HofF. But I've already expressed clearly my opinion on HofF in more than one thread, even going so far as to suggest how ludicrous a "Heart of Fury" version of LOTR would be.

13. The Abyss Gems: 2/31

I found another every god ring in a cabinet (so I have 2, one from the quest). Seems like it randomly pops up sometimes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.