1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"THE BEAST!"

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sarevok, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Sarevok Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Well... I`m down in the lower levels of the sewars.(Searching for a rod).I encountered a beast in the temple there and faught it.It wouldnt die,and so i just had Jan sneek behind it and take the things on the altar.When I took the camera back to the fight I saw that the beast was gone!

I went in and out of the temple and didnt find it!I spoke to everyone outside and they didnt help much... :mad:Is this a bug...?

[This message has been edited by Sarevok (edited March 29, 2001).]

2. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Well.. you found your way around one of the few "puzzles" in this game in a way the developers clearly didn't expect.

Normally you have to kill the "Beast", and then this subquest can be solved easily. So I guess you're facing a bug here, aye.

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I wouldn't really call it a bug, the only point of the beast is to make it difficult to get the rod. Once you have it there is no more need for the beast. Also, you don't really kill the beast, (SPOILER) if you listen to the hints you get about it, it thrives on evil and sufferin etc, so you defeat it by being nice (BIGGER SPOILER), casting heal on it does the trick.

4. Sarevok Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I knew I had to heal it to kill it!(The old man near the glowing "lamp" gave me some hints)But where is the rod?It was NOT on the altar... :mad:

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31

SPOILER after you heal the beast to kill it, the god of the temple appears as a faintly glowing patheticaly voiced nearly dead thing. Talk to him and be nice to him (you can probably do it evily too but I don't know) and he eventually agrees to give you the rod so that you can destroy the beholder then free his worshipers.

[[If he is not appearing then it might be a bug or it might be because you nicked his stuff from the altar (I suppose this might be considered an evil act - stealing from a church - and so he might not deal with you - I don't know).

Anyway, I believe it is still possible to defeat the unseeing 'beholder' eye. It just is much more difficult without the rod.]] And, of course, without it, you won't be able to finish off the sub-quest of releasing the worshipers from their comitment.

(all that stuff above I put in [[]], I'm not 100% sure about, I'd recommend making a save game then trying it if you can't get past the 'bug')

Oh well, back to the normal fallback, have you got an autosave before the temple? Maybe use that and deal with the beast in the normal way.

You might also like to use the search function as there have been an awfull lot of posts about the unseeing eye quest.

6. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You can take the stuff from the alter without any recoarse , there are three healing scrolls , that I think are meant for the player to cast on the beast.

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31

I meant stealing stuff from the alter without talking to the god first. Sorry, didn't mean to imply you couldn't loot the alter at all. I did take all the stuff but only after speaking to the God first.

And.. yes I guess you're right. Healing spells in the alter are probably there to kill the beast which happens before the god appears which suggests you can loot the alter before speaking to the God - silly over cautious Slappy. (It also maybe explains why there weren't healing spells in the alter when I looted it after killing the beast and speaking to the god).

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited March 30, 2001).]

8. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You know, maybe it was a bug in my version, but when I fought the creature, I had no idea that you had to heal it to kill it. So I just fought with it, and...killed it.

No healing, no spells, just swords and other weapons.

9. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

It must be a bug, because he is saying that he likes hate and all, so you shouldn't be able to kill him unless you heal him. You can injure him however, which I presume we all did ;)!

10. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] As far as i remember, you kill him and then he comes back again. Besides, you need to talk to Amaunator to get the rift device.

11. theholygit Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I stole the stash before i killed the beast because i thought i could lure him on the holy part of the room and maybe that would of done some damage to it, but it didn't, but my point is i stole the stash and the "best" was still there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.