1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Age Of Entitlement

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gaear, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    This article seems to touch on several recent threads here at SP ('It's okay to beat your kids,' 'London Riots,' even a MUG topic), so I figured I'd post it independantly rather than append it to one of those.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rampant-but-can-be-corrected-experts-say.html

It's very long, so rather than try to summarize it all I'll leave it to you to read it and comment if you want, but do note that this is not really about entitlements in the form of social programs et al; moreso the concept of entitlement at the individual level.

I suppose discussion could go in any of several directions (relationships, child-rearing, professional life, etc.), so feel free.

One parallell I found interesting was the commentary on the supposed disdain for work among those with these entitlement 'issues' ... which made me think of the so called London rioting 'chavs.'

---------- Added 1 hours, 0 minutes and 44 seconds later... ----------

Sorry for the bad form of replying to my own post here, but I just saw this:

Adult children’s ‘bad mothering’ lawsuit dismissed

Too good to pass up.

The Great Snook likes this.
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nothing new for me in that article... it's exactly what I've been observing and posting about here for a long time.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    An article well worth forwarding.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I've taught a lot of rotten, spoiled, snotty kids with a sense of entitlement. But not all are like that.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good topic Gaear!

My wife's best friend is a perfect example of entitlement. She is a spoiled, silver-spoon brat. She can be cool when hanging out, but only if you are doing what she wants. She doesn't work, her rich Dad gives her lavish gifts and her mom always tells her what her current problems are, they aren't her doing. Which is insanely enabling. We were jsut on vacation with her an her husband. The husband, the money provide of hte family, does everything he can to stop this behavior and battles with her parents because of it. It will probably cause them to divorce. I am quite certain she will choose her parents over her loving husband in order to continue her easy lifestyle of doing nothing but what she wants. Which can involve drinking, even when watching their 3 year old. I am amazed that my wife is even friends with her as they are complete opposites.

6. Gaear

Media:
    Did the husband not see all that before they married, or was he just blinded by 'love?'

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

He probably naively thought that she would grow out of it. More the fool he.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The article seems to lean on a few experts whining about "entitlement," particulary in Utah. I would like to have seen a little more work by academics from outside the Utah echo chamber. It's just my opinion but I don't think entitlement has that much to do with the larger issue. It's only one piece of a larger problem. But "entitlement" is a great buzzword for those who hold a particular point of view.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Enlighten us as to the larger issue or problem, SVP.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The "Utah echo chamber"? What is that?

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I will when I have time again. Nathan has kept me so busy and the girls are back in school. I'm trying to get help with Nathan's special needs but the insurance company is being a complete ass. I have to wait till December before one of its "in-network experts" has an opening to evaluate Nathan, [I need the resources for special, in home, professional care] even though the State of Texas will do a complete evaluation October 3rd. Figures. In the meantime, I'm much too busy to write a really detailed, lengthy post. I'm almost frantic, since school started, tryng to keep up with everything, especially in the evenings. You guys won't see much of me.

Don't spend a lot of time on it.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I still doubt this is any sort of new phenomenon. There have always been some spoilt kids and some hard working kids and some neglected kids. How is this news?

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I hear what you are saying, Harbs, but I believe that there has been a real breakdown of common courtesy in Western society, and that respect for authority and consideration for the feelings if others, not to mention thought for group welfare, has all declined significantly among a greater percentage of the society. I'll try to elaborate on that more when I can post via a real keyboard.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If that's what you want then fine. I really had no idea what you meant.

But Harbs when WE were the spoilt kids it was different. Our rudeness was because our parents and their generation were clueless.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think he knew, he is a pretty intelligent guy. I also think he could help guide her away a bit from it, as he makes enough money himself as an int'l pilot. But who knows?

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

He is basically dismissing the material coming from Utah by insinuating they are a bunch of clueless tools who are too stupid to listen to differing opinions. That's usually what "echo chamber" comments mean.

In all fairness, some Utah folks are a little insular. But not that bad.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    When academics tend to bunch togther in a particualr area, they tend to echo each others ideas. Example: Chicago school of economics.

See, LKD? It's not anything like you were trying to describe. Sometimes I worry about you. :)

18. Gaear

Media:
    It's commentary.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah. Pretty much every generation except ours has no idea.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.