1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Terrorists say NIE wrong

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Norman 'Pod-Man' Podhorez sais the NIE is false.
    John 'Bonkers' Bolton sais the NIE is wrong.

Now, as if for comic relief, their reinforcements have arrived - Iraq's MEK. They're unhappy with the NIE as well.

Not your ordinary group of favourite Iranian exiles, the Mujahedin-e Khalq are something special. Think of Ahmed Chalabi's INC on an acid trip. In ideology a Marxist & Islamic inspired personal cult demanding total obedience from it's members to the movements dear leader Maryam Rajavi, the, you know, real president of Iran, they are a garant for quality political violence in Iran since the days of the Shah. They bombed themselves on the US State Department's Terrorist list (search MEK), killing a few US soldiers and a larger number of Iranians in the process. They supported the seizure of the US embassy in Tehran. After the Ayatollas took over they went to Iraq, where Saddam Hussein supported them as his favourite Iranians, just in case, and seeing their value supplied them with armoured vehicles. In return they assisted the Hussein regime in suppressing opposition within Iraq, performed internal security for them and played a role in crushing the Kurdish and Shiite uprisings of 1991. Quid pro quo. When Saddam fell they became the neo-cons favourite Iranians and got Special Forces protection (liaison?) because some people (Rumsfeld, Feith, Cambone, Wolfowitz, Cheney anyone?) thought they might be useful against Iran. Great minds think alike. What could conceivably be the quid pro quo here? Well, the MEK 'discovered' the Natanz site back then (or rather is said to have been tipped of by 'an interested government' - read Israel) ...

So the MEK come to the rescue again - they say the NIE is wrong, and have declared they intend to bring out the truth about Iran into the broad daylight. Now, fun bit at the end, where do you get such news? Expect dramatic new discoveries, almost as scary as the 'laptop of death' with the infamous power point presentation ...

The MEK share with the neo-cons the view that regime change must not be delayed. For the MEK, the idea of a possible US realignment, as indicated by an optimistic reading of the NIE, with Iran is nothing short of an existential threat. Beyond them being useful, nobody has any love for those loonies. It would nullify all their extremely slim chances to ever come to power in Teheran. And it would be an existential threat as a key Iranian demand is to deny them safe haven in Iraq, stop support and extradite them to Iran. The Kurds, Shia and Sunni who have been at their receiving end will have finally found something to agree on and would be probably be more than happy to oblige. So, the MEK, by delivering on the 'Iranian threat' are trying to reassert their usefulness. Without US support, they are in for a major blood letting. So their support for the Iran hawk's positions is hardly surprising. Their survival depends on it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    NIE?

As in The Knights Who Say "Ni"?

I don't understand what Monty Python has to do with this. Then again, I don't understand this whole topic.

:confused:

:p

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :eek:You don't know what the NIE is? It's THE rage in DC these days ... what Pod-Man and Bonkers and the whole crew are raving about, ad nauseam!!! I'm shocked, shocked! :eek: :p

We even had a thread about it, another one I mean, here on SP!

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I know. The problem is that I was reading your post on a Friday evening at the end of a very tiring week, and lacked the desire to make a proper comment. But rather the doing the intelligent thing (i.e. leave it alone), I decided to play the smart-ass. As usual.

And Saturday isn't looking much better. :bad:

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, that'll teach the MeK to get off their bums and start cooperating. Mark my words, by the time the next NIE is ready they'll have provided enough intelligence to preemptively strike Iran thrice over! :p

6. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Splunge beat me to it with a "knights who say Ni" comment, but I'll say it anyway.

The terrorists shouldn't feel too bad. Sir Bedevere said "Ni" wrong as well. But he said it "NU", not "NIE".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.