1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Teenaged drawing = terrorist offence

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, May 17, 2010.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...istic-boy-charged-with-terrorist-offence.html

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/aut...orist-threats-over-stick-figure-sketch-051310
    http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/14-year-old-autistic-boy-charged-051210

http://americaswatchtower.com/2010/05/13/autistic-boy-charged-with-terrorism-for-a-drawing/

How have things gotten so bad that something so frivolous can be charged with such an offense?

look at the books of loads of kids in the UK, you will find doodles of people being killed, teachers and people they dont like often being the subject matter.
    look at one of my books from when I was 10, and youll see a small comic strip where I grind up Mr Woodhouse (my teacher at the time) in a mincer and make burgers out of him.

ter·ror·ism
    –noun
    1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
    2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
    3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

I really dont think this incident falls into the category of terrorism, instead of doing what teachers are supposed to do and talking to and working this autistic child they demand that he be charged for his doodle...

the USA is insane.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    And an autistic kid at that! Yes, the US has gone mad. And, for the record, we had songs in my school.

On top of spagetti,
    All covered with blood... *whistle*

Fun times for all. Some of the teachers even made some suggestions.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Zero tolerance policies need to be abandoned and removed from the face of the Earth. It is a cop-out for school administrators who do not want to have to use common sense to make decisions that may get them into trouble later (i.e. lawsuits).

Ragusa likes this.
  4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Zero tolerance policy are means to allow politicos to look 'tough on crime', which is apparently an American obsession. You need to be tough on everything - drugs, crime, terror, probably cookies and whatever else too - lest you want those attack ads (which ought to be banned) and your political competitors breathing down your neck. That is even more so once you have labelled politics as a wars on nouns - drugs, crime, terror. Hand in glove goes the militarisation of law enforcement. It doesn't matter whether it works, as long as the measures taken are 'tough', it's a war after all. It's an exercise in political masturbation if you ask me.

This case here would be ridiculous, wouldn't it be so disturbing. It's not just fear of litigation, and zero tolerance policies - it's that laws have been enacted by politicians posturing to be tough on everything, born of scares and panics, that defined terrorism down to include something like that. And an uncritical citizenry has allowed them to do that and get away with it - and there is the result: Scribbling fourteen year old autistic terrorists committing thought crimes. And that kind of makes sense: If a hand grenade is a weapon of mass destruction (as it contains more than four ounces of explosives), why shouldn't the scribblings of a fourteen year old autistic child be terrorism?

Beyond that, the charges mean that this is probably a federal crime, and that terrorism laws apply. In context of the current terror debate - does that mean this fourteen year old autistic child will have a right to counsel, will secret evidence be permitted, can he be stripped of his citizen rights, be tried for treason, be tortured and sent to a military commission on Guantanamo bay? Jut asking.

With such laws the American criminal justice system is a travesty, a practical joke, one that is on America that is.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I don't expect this to last long. I expect the prosecutor will, if not from simple common sense, at least from public pressure, cave in and drop all charges. The child will be sent home and an investigation will begin into what caused this. The school administration will likely loose jobs, but the laws and policies will continue unchanged. Until it happens again.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's not even an exaggeration. "Childhood obesity" is in the news frequently, and there's talk (and maybe even more than talk) of banning junk foods and sodas from schools.

That's what the people want I guess (all this "tough on whatever" and "zero tolerance" stuff) since that's what seems to get these people elected...

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's bad enough that the kid is in trouble over this (although perhaps some sort of minor disciplinary action is warranted), but how on earth does this qualify as a terrorist act? If this fits the definition, then so would any threat or implied threat of violence against another person.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, well I think it is in fact. I was on a trial of a guy accused of "terroristic threats" many years ago before 9/11 and all the increased focus on terrorism. The guy basically called this woman several times on his way over to her house telling her he was on his way, where he was, and what he was going to do when he got there. So I think the word "terrorism" has come to mean something more specific in its common usage than what the definition according to the law is.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I knew there wasomething wrong with you Sho!:D That reminds me of the movies "Eating Rauol" and "Ravenous". What toppings did you add to MR. Woodhouse anyway?

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Glory, glory, hallelu-u-u-jah
    Teacher hit me with a ru-u-u-la'
    Met at the door
    With a loaded forty-four
    She didn't teach no more....

We sang that a school concert when I was in 5th grade. A few years ago a group of students were suspended from a local school for singing it at lunch.

NOG (No Other Gods) likes this.
  11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    hard to tell from my childish scribblings, but there was definately cheese :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.