1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Taxes! Oh the Fun of It!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So, for those in the US, who hasn't filed yet?
    Refund or owe?
    We just finished ours, and for the second year in a row, our state refund is a lot larger than our federal refund. Anyone else ever have this happen? We live in CA, anyone else in CA have this happen?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds complicated. But in New Zealand, I will be getting a refund this year, for the first time in ages.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I get a finished form I just sign if I dont want to make any adjustments. Easy peasy.

I get approx 400€ in return. Decent enough for someone who was a full time student last year.

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My mom works in the tax department of a huge bank, and she knows a lot about this kind of stuff. She filled out all the paperwork for me (something like 16 pages, because it's my first time), I signed it, and even though I'm an unemployed sixteen year old, I still got $100. I'm loving this, soon I'll be able to afford some drums.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    We dropped our paperwork off with the accountant on Monday. He's already filed for our extension. :D

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i will need to talk to my secratary so that she can talk to her secratary so that she in turn can learn from my accountant how much refund the jobless student me will have.

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

My accountant got me $268 back this year, and only charged me half price because he didn't have to pay anything to file it.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can't believe that so many of you have your own accountant! You're all such financial high flyers.

I wish my financial affairs were complicated and extensive enough to require the engagement of an accountant . . . . ..

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    America is very much a 'money money money' place, I think Harbs. A lot more than the rest of world, at any rate I reckon.

As long as I have enough money to be reasonably happy and not have to worry about a bayliff coming round to repo my stuff, I'm ok.

10. Harbourboy

Barmy, even I was super money oriented, I still don’t have enough money to justify having my own accountant to do my tax return. I wish I did have all sorts of investments and different sources of income to complicate my tax affairs but, unfortunately, my financial empire is fairly simple.

11. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just got back from dropping off the info with the accountant. Might be done before the deadline, if not then we'll file an extension. Might get something back, might have to pay.

I've been using an accountant for about 8 years, when working 3 jobs plus getting some money for freelance work from a company in Germany made it too darn confusing to figure them out on my own.

Now, with both my wife and I teaching, two kids, mortgages, tuition, and whatnot, it is even more confusing and definitely worth it to me to pay $250 to $300 to have someone else figure out how to legally get a refund.

12. Harbourboy

Man. Another person with their own accountant. I feel like some sort of financial loser now.

13. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Don't worry HB. The only reason I have an accountant is because I don't have the time to do it myself and one of my parents friends offered me a deal.

I could have done it myself, but I really didn't want to mess up.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Heh. How'd you manage that? My fed refund is something like 20 times the size of my state refund.

15. Harbourboy

I hope all you financial titans getting all these tax refunds are going to divert a small portion to Sorcerers Place. :)

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    HB, we had to use an accountant last year because we had one complex investment that our two previous accountants screwed up to high heaven. He got everything straightened out, and we expect to be able to file our own forms next year.

Viva la Turbo Tax!

17. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Accountants? Pfah! Never used one, never needed one. I studied basic accounting so I can work out my own tax, although the Australian Tax Office has a nifty online application which saves a lot of the hassle.

Should be getting a few hundred back; one of the few advantages of not working all-year-round is that your tax turns into compulsory savings, coupled with the tax-free threshold which means about half my income is exempted. I'm a poor student - gimme gimme gimme!

Then again, I've only just about to start full-time work (on Monday - hooray for 9-to-5!), so I guess my experience doesn't cover the full gamut of tax off-sets, claims, spousal benefits (that I know of... pretty sure about that one) or capital gains taxes, to name a few.

18. Harbourboy

Rally - a "complex investment"? Sounds cool, like some sort of Cayman Islands tax shelter or something. Wish I had a complex investment.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Slackers! I've already got my refunds in my brokerage account (along with a bunch of other money that was burning a hole in my checking account).

Now I just have to wait a couple of days for the money I deposited to be fully available, so I can transfer into my two IRAs the amount I said I did on my tax forms :)

Gotta make that April 15th deadline for funding the IRAs for 2004! :money:

Oh, and I have used TurboTax almost since I've been filing. I think I did it by hand maybe a couple of times.

20. Harbourboy

"brokerage account"? Listen to you high flyers talk!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.