1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tattoos

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kuemper, Jun 17, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I know a lot of people with tattoos. They are everywhere on the body (like skin), except for one place: the palm of the hand. Even the all-over tattooed folks I've seen/met have their palms unmarked. It can't be because of the pain. If you can handle getting a needle poked a jabillion times in your privates, your palm should be a piece of cake. And it can't be for the awkwardness of the bandages.

Anyone know why the palm is (traditionally) tattoo-free?

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Don't know with the US, but in Denmark it's not legal to make a tattoo on the palm/in the face. With that said, it's legal to have a tattoo in the same places, so obvious some people do have the face/palm tattoos.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think people don't get tattoos on their hands because it just wouldn't stay. Because you obviously use your hands for everything. I think that's the reason.

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

@ Barmy Army: You can allway get it redone, perhaps it's more because other peoples opinions or due to employers?

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I doubt it, I know people who wouldn't give a ****e what other people thought and still don't have tattos on their palms.
    It's pointless spending £100 on a nice palm tattoo, only to have to reapply it in a couple of weeks. Plus, you'd soon run out of flesh... ! :lol:

6. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

it's a little hard to see, but i think this guy has tattooed his palms.

i'll keep googling

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

It's very easy to get an injury on your palms that could ruin the tatoo

8. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Because the wound of the tattoo needs some time to be healed and a tattoo on the palm would make the hands useless during the healing period.

9. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I agree with Barmy, probably because the skin regenerates(?) so often it wouldn't be worth it.

Incidentally, when I got my tattoo the tattooist said that he's never done a tattoo on the sole of anyone's foot. He said he'd do it for free if they could stand it :eek:

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Some people do have tattoos on their hands: Pay Up Sucker

However, considering your hands are one of the more sensitive places on your body, it probably doesn't feel comfortable getting one. And besides, you can kiss any reasonable job goodbye with a tattoo on your hand.

Since when do tattoos wear off? I always thought tattoos were applied below your skin, so they will stay on forever, no matter where you place them. I don't think tattoos on your palm will fade any more or less than on any other part of the body (but I'm hardly an expert on the matter).

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    tattoos wear away and need to be recoloured/remarked over period of time.

i think people wouldnt go fot the palm of the hand because it would be a waste of money, would you have a tatoo on the bottom of your foot? no of course not, because people would never see it, likewise with the palm of your hand it would be rarely seen

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Haha, Jesse James rocks.

Besides, a healing tattoo horribly itches, in fact my ex had some stupid chinese sign tattooed a few days before the beginning of our relationship so I saw it heal. Itches like hell and must be drowned under tattoo goo. Uh-huh. I'll stay with piercings, thank you very much.

*EDIT* Now that I think about it, the sign wasn't so stupid, it was actually the chinese symbol of chaos. :evil:

13. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i have this american friend who has a chinese character tatoon on his back. he ask me if i can read chinese. "Sure, it means letter or mail". He gave me this disbelief face and was trying to argue with me that the character has another meaning. "Yes, it also means believing".

White people friends, just don't tatoo any chinese (or far east) character no matter how cool they are.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Tattoos are applied into several layers of skin, so they don't wear off like you'd think. They can fade, however, especially the highly colored ones.
    Like any other part of the body. Which sounds good and believeable, until you find out someone tattooed their foot sole or lip.
    Is it still a big trend in Japan/China to get English words tattooed on you (much like Westerners getting Chinese symbols)?

15. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

that's very funny if it is/still is, i never thought of that, how very, uhm funny

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

That reminds me of a little something about darling Britney Spears I saw on tv (instantly lunged for the remote thing, of course - alas, the cloyingly sweet terror of it caused me to fumble about too long). Anyways, she has one of those Cabala signs tattooed on her neck. Sadly Britney and the needle guy got it all wrong, so it is upside down, rendering it meaningless, if not blasphemous. :)

Would like to end with a witty remark... tho nothing comes to mind. :/

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

a big trend? never considered to be that. Besides, english words are much easier than chinese characters. Chinese characters sometimes have multiple meanings (mail vs trust). Also, English is a pretty common language.

18. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would never get a tatoo unless I had proof from the tatooist of which kind of ink he was using. I used to work in an art supply shop and had a lot of people trying to buy artist ink to use for tatooing. Generally they didn't give a spit that artist ink is not made for tatoos and could have serious harmful effects if used in that way.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't think I would ever get a tattoo.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

me neither. i've got a dumbass friend who tatooed his current girlfriend's name on his arm. can't wait to see what happens when they break-up hehe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.