1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tal dont be offended but... (THIS AFFECTS EVERYONE)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by TAFKA hooligan_inc, Mar 17, 2001.

1. [​IMG] look tal, i know U love this site and so do a lot of people, especially me, but i personally think and so do a few others that the site has lost abit of its...flair even though it has 1000+ members. At least 90% of topics are boring and don't go anywhere....and U don't seem to be posting much yerself now....

We need to revitalize Sorcerer's place (forums)!

let us

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm new here so I can't comment on what it used to be like. I do find it friendly and informative here though - a good community.

Anyway, I guess you have some ideas about what everyone should/could be doing - let's hear them and we can all discuss, brainstorm, whatever.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited March 17, 2001).]

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hooligan, I have to disagree. The whatnots forum is great and chopped full of the funniest, stupidest posts around. I can't see the problem with it. As far as the other forums go.... Ok, fine, the BG2 forum is boring, but hey, we've seen everything there is to see already. The game is already old, so what can you expect. NWN isn't going very strong right now because the game is still quite a ways from release. Fortunately, the NWN guild and ALFA gives people something to talk about at least. IWD has something to talk about now adays. The others are very slow, but then what can you expect there. Planescape is very old; PoR, well, like I said, noone cares about it; and the miscl section has never been going anywhere. That is a shame, but it looks to be true as I was looking for an old topic to dig up just the other night. Anyway, that brings up another point. If you think these forums need something more, give to them. Bring whatever you think they need to them. I can't see how it's Tal's fault if you find these forums lacking. Right now is a slow CRPG time. I think it will pick up soon. Until then, if you want more interesting posts, lets start one then.

Ahem........ Vince Russo sucks!!! Heh :D J/K

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Lost some flare? Hmm, I don't know about that. It seems to me that we're working smoothly like a well oiled machine. With occasional cogs breaking, but we fix it in no time.

As for me, I'm every bit as active here as I always was. How would you know anyway, you've been gone for ages. There are just some topics I don't enter as often as I used to because, trust me, I've seen it all before. And responded to it too. ;)
    But that still leaves a lot of topics I reply to, but usually only when no one else can help out or when I want to point something out. There are so many people crawling around the boards that they get to answer posts much faster than I can, since I can log on and check them only twice a day at best.

As for boring topics... I think no one would be posting anything here if they were so boring. But people do. A lot.

But hey, we're open to suggestions. Start some interesting topics...

5. right ok

I noticed some other boards have this cool thing where you put up a picture of yourslef under the name. That'd be cool

Oh, and a profile with more options on it. Ya know.

Oh, and we shud get Vince Russo in to be guest moderater. Ha. :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well if you post for the sake that your picture is displayed, then boards turn into crap like some other ones out there. I have yet to see one that didn't turn into a contest of who can display the lamest picture or the biggest banner for himself in every post 5 characters long when they have this option available.

Pictures are for message boards that have nothing better to display than that (or nothing to say), and I think that people at our boards don't fit into that category.

Or maybe it's just me.

7. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Oh God NO! Please! No signature Pics! I absolutely HATE those things! They clutter up the board so badly, that half the time you can't tell where the post ends and the sig begins. Not to mention all the extra scrolling involved because the pics take up so much room. No way! BAD idea!!

Tal's boards are just Perfect AS IS! Ugh...

*shudders in disgust at the very thought of nasty pictures ruining the boards*

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm not into picture signitures, but i would like the signitures option available...

But on the topic of topics and how boring they are...well the thing is is that Hooligan does have a point. I mean c'mon, a topic like 'Everyone loves chocolate puppies, but' thats just plain boring! and its a stupid topic to bring up! Oh who eats puppies? Can't someone somewhere just come up with a whole new topic? Like for example, how about we try an online D&D game? over a certain topic...like one of us be the DM and the rest of us be the adventurers. Of course we would have to all promise to not be dicks and say something like 'I've decided to fly to India to kill ants'

The game should be based on sensibility and trust (the DM has the dice)

Thats just an idea of trying to liven' things up. The forum needs something original but not to the extent of stupidity and silly topics.

Do i make sense or have i been dribbling on?
    Anyway think about this and see if you can make this forum a better place. (not that its bad, just that it could be alittle more...alive)

9. Crawl Gems: 23/31

I love the choclate puppies post. What is with some of you?

Anyway, sorry Hooligan, but I have to agree with Darien on this one. I hate pics and signatures. Looks VERY stupid, and takes up a world of space. Hey, imagine the one word story with pics and signatures. It'd be like 80 pages instead of 8. And besides, do any of us really need to have out own rpg pics. Nah. And anyone can post a signature if they wish, I guess. I'ts just not automatic. But then who wants to read the same quote or signature from the same guy in every post. Darien, you are right about some things, ya know. :D

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well I guess the forums COULD you a little livening up, but not to the extent of Skullport for instance. Personally, I get a feeling that the whole message boards there are a game and not a place to get information from. It's just... Too much for my taste.
    It might work for a small community, but Boards O' Magick are simply too big to implement something like that and not have it go out of control.

But if anyone comes up with a reasonable suggestion as to what to implement here, I'm all for it. I'm sure Sylvus would be more than willing to share his knowledge of UBB customization after what he did to his own. ;)

If not, I have a friend who completely re-wrote UBB code and customized it beyond recognition, so I'm sure we could come up with something.
    Maybe small pictures (but not portraits) for people who go over a certain number of posts or are given a higher status by one of the moderators. And more user levels, which seems to be the most highly wanted feature.

Slap down a few suggestions and I'll see what can be done about this.

11. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Pics? My blasted internet connection's slow enough already without having to waste time downloading pics. Just an acolyte's humble opinion. Ps enlighten the non net-savvy what does PoR stand for?

12. Taluntain

Media:
  13. herf Guest

urm , more user levels definitely, we can have "sorcerers aprentice" and "wizards aprentice" and shit like that, then we could have a saying under our name when we make a post, and we get so type what goes in it so we can have like two conversations going at once!

14. I gather that this board runs the same as another one i am on, and the moderater just upgraded it to version 1.4b or summat - an idea?

(Vince Russo roolz)

15. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Hey, Tal!

Now that I've proven my worth and risen above the masses, I think I deserve a new title! After, I am, at the very least, a Senior Apprentice! :D

How does "Darien Warrior Goddess" sound to you? Hmmm... ok, maybe not that... heh. But you get the idea. ;)

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If thats going to be the case i want to be titled as a Superior apprentice or Sniper the War God.

Or howabout we all get certain ranks according to the number of posts we have amassed. Like for example *coughs*

0 - 100 posts = acloyte
    101 - 400 posts = apprentice
    401 - 1000 posts = Senior apprentice
    1001 - 2000 posts = Mage
    2001 - 5000 posts = Wizard
    Moderators = Sorcerer
    Hows that for ideas on ranks? I personally prefer the second idea as it seems to be the most sensible and logical...no offence intended Darien Noella...

17. If that goes down, I must become 'super senior fuckin' kick mamaluke punk ass aprentice'. Capiche?

18. Crawl Gems: 23/31

Hmmm, I don't think Tal would be willing to share his Sorcerer status with others. And I don't blame him. But, as this would affect me, I think people who have been around a long while or have a signifigant number of posts should have some other type of ranking. A lot of posts is a nice achievment in itself, but a new title would be nice. I'd hate to have to remain an apprentice the rest of my life. And if I keep going at this rate, I'd hate to still be an aprentice with over a 1,000 posts in my first year. I like Spiper's idea, except for the Wizard and Sorcerer titles. Tal should be the only one with a Sorcerer title, as it is his place after all. Maybe there should be another title for moderator and allow us to have Wizard status after like 1,500 posts. 2,000 may be a little much. And personally I don't know about pics. I've just seen it done badly on other boards, and I'd hate to have it mess up things around here. Incidently, I like the Mage title :D

And Darien, who says you are above the masses?

19. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

***My connection went down today, so this post has to do with the first couple of posts on this thread.

Granted, the Chocolate Puppies post was a waste of internet space. But...hate to tell you this...it could be hard for you to handle...get ready...*Taluntain didn't start that thread*

*Gasps in shock*

Come on! It's not the "Moderators" who come up with topics and threads. They "Moderate." And if your wondering about Tal upgrading this site, maybe you should realize that his life does not revolve around a single internet site. There's a lot of work that needs to be done in order to upgrade this site.

20. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Did somebody has seen the Unreal Tournament message board?? In this forum, you can have all sort of picture signature, animated picture and whatever. This forum got a lot more posts than here. But with all these signature and stuff, the board look like a big pile of shit. Just because of signature, a thread that have not more than 5 of 6 post look like a thread here who have more than 20 post.

And I dont think that adding an image as my signature will make my post more interesting. Same for the whole topics.

My opinion is that you should leave the board as it is. If you start doing all sort of modification and stuff, soon it will be like an old hag who had too much lifting, fake boobs and stuff.

For the rest of the post, some are said to be boring. But almost all of the topics get replies.

I think the board is quite interesting as it is now. And all the topics CANT be interesting for everyone.

The only thing (in my opinion) is that Tal is not funny enough. ;)

Good day

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.