1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suggestions for free Android RPGs?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlickRCBD, Mar 10, 2013.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just got my first smart phone as a birthday present last month. An HTC One X+. I'd kinda like to partially turn it into a Gameboy. I'm very new to Android and smart phones in general. If there's a better place to ask this, please point me to an appropriate forum. I'm posting here because there are a lot of cRPG players around who might be able to offer some suggestions.

Can anyone suggest some free android cRPGs to play? I saw that Square has released Final Fantasy III for android, although it's a game I'd have to pay for and I'm low on cash. I'd have never bought the phone myself, however it was a gift with a year's subscription to a 1gb/month cellular data plan. A very nice birthday present.

I like games like Final Fantasy (although I've only played I-VIII as I don't have a Playstation of any generation), Baldur's Gate, and other classics like the Gold Box games, Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Exile:Escape from the Pit and it's sequels, and others.

Two big requirements are that I can play them offline with the cellular data turned off since I only have 1gb per month, and that I can save the game at a moment's notice.

So, any suggestions on some free RPGs? The "Google Play Store" doesn't have an RPG category, making finding RPGs harder.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Could somebody recommend a good forum friendly to newbies where I can ask the same question?

I'm very new to the Android OS. I've done a Google search, but I keep running into pay games or action-RPGs.

I don't want to break my touch screen mashing my fingers into it for some action game. Also, I always enjoyed Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Final Fantasy, and the Gold Box type of RPGs more than action-RPGs like Zelda, or Ancient Land of Y's. Although I did like Ultima I-IV (never did get to play the later ones that were never released for the Apple II). I just prefer using my INT rather than my DEX.

Sorry for the nostalgia, I've been helping my mom clean out her basement and I found a big storage box with some of my old toys that contained all the boxes for my old Apple II games and some of the Gameboy games along with the pamphlet-type manuals and inserts that I thought had been accidentally thrown out a long time ago. I've still got the disks.

3. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

There just really isn't any free rpgs of that kind on android and it just sucks. I have been stuck playing those crappy games like the simpsons tapped out and the like also angry birds and what not. They just don't hold my interest past a min or 2.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've seen the same question asked on a rather big local forum here and nobody could suggest anything either...

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I just saw The Bard's Tale for a mere $3, and it says it includes the original trilogy in the package.

I'm seriously thinking of buying it. I'm just afraid I'm going to spend too much time playing on the phone the way I did 20 years ago on my Apple IIGS. Funny thing, I remember being disappointed that Bard's Tale III's graphics & sound were so much worse than the first two (Apple IIe version for the last vs Apple IIGS for the first two. They never released an Apple IIGS version and I got the last one from BRCC when there was no more hope of an Apple IIGS version), yet I loved it anyways.
    Of course, I did much the same with gameboy games. Final Fantasy Legend (I-III) and Sword of Hope come to mind.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.