1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stupid Convenience Stores

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't normally carry large bills with me, but I had bought something for a friend, and he paid me back with a $50-bill this weekend. Today at lunch, I went to a convenience store, and I purchased a full tank of gas, a sandwich, a bag of chips, a Snapple iced tea, and a pack of cigarettes. Total bill: $42.73. What transpires is one of the best examples of human stupidity I have encountered in a long time. This is almost as bad as the woman who believed her doctor could fix her back if she had sex with him. I hand the cashier the $50-bill and this exchange takes place:

Cashier: I can't accept this.
    Me: Why not?
    C: We don't take bills larger than a 20.
    M: Why not?
    C: Because as a convenience store we don't have a lot of money in our cash drawers so giving out large amounts of change means we would seriously deplete the amount of small bills we have.
    M: But my tab is $42.73.
    C: I'm sorry sir, but we can't accept that bill.
    M: If I bought something that cost $2.73, would I be allowed to pay with a $10-bill?
    C: Yes.
    M: Well, this is basically the same thing. Either way, I'd be getting $7.27 change, and you certainly have that much change to give me.
    C: I'm sorry sir, but it's store policy.
    M: But the purpose of that rule is so someone doesn't come in a buy a pack of gum and pay with a $50-bill. It's not for when someone buys over $40 worth of stuff.
    C: I'm sorry sir, but it's STORE POLICY.
    M: If I had two $20-bills, and one $10-bill, would I be able to pay with that?
    C: Yes.
    M: Then what's the difference? You'd still be giving me $7.27, and you'd still have an additional $50 worth of big bills in the cash drawer.
    C: Sir, it's store policy, and if you continue to be a nuisance, I'll call the manager and have you thrown out of the store!

Luckily for me, the man behind me saw this exchange take place and offered to break the $50 bill for me. (Ironically for two $20s and one $10.) I then proceeded to hand the money to the cashier, who provided me with $7.27 change and placed my purchase in a bag. As she handed the bag to me:

C: Thank you for shopping with us, and come again.
    M: You're a f***ing moron.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah that is pretty stupid. Around here they often refuse to accept $50s due to fear of counterfeit money. Personally, if I was counterfeiting money, I would never think of making fake $50s - why would you make a denomination that almost no one uses and thus is highly visible. Given that the bank machines pump out mostly $20s that seems to be the logical bill to counterfeit.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Actually, in the US, the most conterfeited bill, believe it or not, is the $1-bill. It's design is the only one that hasn't been changed recently, using the same design for the past 50+ years, it doesn't have a water-mark, or a security band in it, and thus, is the easiest bill to counterfeit.

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

What a stupidity! I think the cashier should be thrown out of the store.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's the same thing overhere, noone accepts the 100 and 200 € bills. If i do my groceryshopping in a supermarket, and i have to pay, let's say 92,50 in total, they won't accept a 100€ bill. They will take two 50's, but not the 100. :rolleyes:

Every friday it's the same story with me and my boss when he pays me my week's salary. He always wants to drop his 200's and 100's on me, but i always refuse and make him go to the bank to get me smaller bills, since i can't do anything with them. The only one who would accept the larger bills is the local dopedealer. :shake:

6. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I don't think we have such bill problems in Poland. The only one is that when all customers pay with high bills the cashier has nothing in cash drawer to give the change.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Wow Pac man. The grocery store one is really shocking. Most of the bigger grocery stores have so much money changing hands that I don't think they's have any problems breaking a 100. (We don't have $200-bills in the U.S.).

All I was asking for was common sense there. Yes, if you're being a prick, and you want to buy something that costs $1, and want to pay with a $50, then the cashier has every right to tell you to go blow. Put in my case, I was paying with the smallest single bill that would cover my tab.

I wish that in addition to the $50, I had three $20s in my wallet. I then could have handed her $60 total, and she would have had to give me MORE change than had she accepted the $50.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I remember this happening to us when we went down to the USA, at a McDonalds. They wouldn't accept our $50 bill for a ~$10 lunch. Fortunately we were in Las Vegas so breaking bills wasn't a problem... but still inconvenient.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's quite obvious the entire "can't give change" thing was a sham. The real reason she didn't accept the $50 bill was fear of counterfeit. Though it does make me wonder why she didn't just say it out loud in the first place. A decade or so ago the dollar was frequently used in Lebanon, and some places would refuse $100 bills because they were being counterfeited at the time. But no one every gave such a stupid excuse as not wanting to hand out change.

I guess she is a moron after all :)

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

What a ****ing moron. I was able to pass a $100 bill in the convenience store near where I live. :D

*EDIT* After the dumb cashier checked it under a blacklight for 15 minutes...

[ October 18, 2005, 06:13: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

11. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

My dad once stopped at McDonalds for breakfast on his way home from the recycling yard. All he had was $100 bills. The manager took care of this, and he got his breakfast...

12. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ahhh ... the memories. I remember some of the good ol' days when I worked in the car wash. It was the easiest shut down at night for a cashier that you could possibly imagine. Dust the place off, hit a few switches, hit the alarm and leave. One of the cashiers still couldn't figure this out. Half the time she'd forget to hit one, some or even all of the switches.

So one night, I had to fill in as full-serve at the gas bar (combined operation). A guy walks up to me. He opened the rear door that allows cars to drive into the car wash, but now he can't get himself back out. He started to clue in that something wasn't right when all the lights were out and nobody was around. The culprit is of course that the cashier forgot to hit one of four switches at the end of her shift. Apparently this was the 20th or some time that an incident like this happened on her watch. The other, much smarter cashier, had to come in and bail the poor guy out. The manager called the dense cashier the next morning about the incident. She has the sauce to tell the manager, "Yeah whatever, as if I f***** care!!!" So naturally, the next sentence in the dialogue is, "You're fired!"

The next morning, the car wash staff were dancing in the staff room and whipping the towels around. :D

[ October 18, 2005, 13:49: Message edited by: Beren ]

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    There is one really easy way to test this to see if it really is an issue of counterfeit bills or the giving of change. Next time I purchase gas at that convenience store, intead of buying a pack of cigarettes, I'll buy an entire carton. The cost of a full tank of gas and a carton of cigarettes would almost certainly exceed $50. Heck, the carton alone should be about $35, and it definitely costs me more than $15 to fill up my tank. I will then attempt to pay cash, using the $50 and other small denominations. Since they can't claim a change issue (as the cost of the purchase exceeds the bill I'm paying with) we can determine if in fact the rule is in place to stop counterfeiting.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The only problem is, the guy behind the counter wouldn't know anyway, and wouldn't care either, considering it's store policy and he's not there to question it, just to enforce it. So the only way you'll achieve anything will be by talking about it to the manager.

15. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i work in a convinience store, as a cashier, and i accept every ammount of change i am givin and we have a ABSOLUTE minumum of 4000 DKKR=Danish kroner(400EURO), and many times, roday for example, i had about 20000 DKKR(2000EURO) this is alot but i have tried worse, the biggest bill we have i denmark, i think is 1000 DKKR(100EURO) and they're seen very commonly, i accept many a day

and i must admit i have never encountered a proplem getting or giving change, but DAMN i laughed of your story, the last line is GENIOUS!

oh and btw. i live in DENMARK it's in scandinavia, and scandinavia is a "region" in Europe, so everybody understand, i think

16. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh yes, Aldeth. A good example of human stupidity indeed. Now, a few points to consider...

A. The cashier is lowest rung in the store hierarchy, who certainly cannot circumvent the STORE POLICY for a single customer who comes in and tries to stick a fifty in their face. It's not their business why the manager decided not to take bills over $20, but if they do take those bills, they get fired. Now, trust me, nobody wants to get fired from their job for your benefit.

B. You choose to insult the cashier despite the fact that they do their best to be polite with you, which in lieu of your attitude is a feat in itself. It takes a lot of patience to work in customer service and deal with every pompous fool who just doesn't seem to understand the two simple English words - "STORE POLICY". You have a problem with the policy? Shop elsewhere. Nobody is going to cry a river about it.

C. Finally, instead of thinking over the accident and making a conclusion that you need an attitude adjustment and maybe just a bit of common sense to make an elementary connection between your demands and the fact that a cashier is clearly not the person who can meet them under any circumstances, you decide to post about your experiences on a message board. Not only you do that, but you manage to try and pass yourself off as the wronged party, and you proudly inform us of your ability to call people names in justification of your own reasonable deficiency. How heroic of you.

So, speaking of examples of human [edit]lack of basic insight which should exist in anyone aged over 12 to ensure their survival in the real world[/edit], you make a solid case in my book.

- edited as per request of the management

[ October 19, 2005, 01:23: Message edited by: catbert ]

17. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm sorry Aldeth but I'm going to have to agree with Catbert here. Allthough I would not put it quite as bluntly.

I also work part-time as a cashier at a badminton hall and the crap I have to take about all sorts of unnecessary thing is absolutely astonishing. Also there are several rules around which are just company policy and for the average customer they may seem completely useless. Such as the fact that we have these "excercise coupongues(sp?)" which different companies give buy and give out for their workers. Now in certain days we don't accept these as currency and that obviously is something the customers have a hard time understanding. The truth is of course that the company that makes the coupongues takes half of the profit and we only get the second half and therefore on busy days accepting them would be just horrible buisness since we would not get the full profit. Until recently I did not know myself why it was company policy so I decided to ask the boss and she explained it to me, so that I'd have a more satsifying answer for the customers next time they asked.

Anyway I'm sure you had just a bad day and did not quite understand the situation from the lack of expirience or something. I'm sure that you generally are not a difficult person to deal with.

18. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

well... after reading the last to post, i see that you are right, in NETTO, the convinience store i work in, also part time, we have certain company poicies, but those do not involve the customers i think, in any ways ican imagin that is.

but the costumers i "service" sometimes GOD! people can really be VERY annoying, and your incident aldeth is NOTHING, i might post a thread or examples later.

19. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

:rolleyes: I can see why catbert doesn't visit the boards much. Aldeth isn't stupid, he's a foppish idiot; it's right in the name. And just because it's store policy doesn't mean it shouldn't be challenged (or even changed, for that matter). If noone questioned stupid rules, there would be no such things as fashion trends or democracies.

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

After being rejected for the 50, I would have pulled out a $1000 bill and tried to pay with that, just to be a jackass.

You know, I have never once encountered a place that refused to take $50 bills.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.