1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Study: Difference between Bush and Kerry supporters? Reality.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Flame suit...on. :borg:

According to a new study from the University of Maryland that's making the rounds, it seems that the majority of Bush supporters are...well, just read it.
    And now, finally, I'm beginning to understand where all the (I daresay fanatical) support for Bush comes from.
    Scary, no? As dmc so aptly put it recently..."some people just don't have any propaganda filters."

Does this apply to all Bush supporters? Of course not. Does it apply to the vast majority? Well, it sure would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

Somehow I doubt this will do much to dispell the "biased liberal media" nonsense, but you never know. And even still - Bush people will of course denounce this as "just one study," and Kerry people will trumpet it to the skies. But the reality is this is a very disturbing trend. Coming from a man who's lived in Sugar Land, Texas for the last 3 years, arguably one of the most conservative places in the country (Tom DeLay is my congressman for chrissakes), who hears the nonsense mentioned above parroted as reality by my neighbors on a regular basis, I can personally attest that this study has more merit that any of us - right or left - would like to admit.

Download the study here.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ugh. It's sad to see how little critical thinking people employ in their lives (if the study is true of course).

The really sad thing to me is not that Bush supporters believe things that aren't true, but that this lack of critical thinking is most likely prevalent everywhere.

I mean, I personally get a kick out of all the campaign ads (not just for President but for everything) because they all say contradictory things. But, obviously they must work, or else so much money wouldn't be spent on them.

Even in the voter information guides I have there are a few things where the arguments for and against (and the rebuttals to each) are so contradictory, and the impartial analysis is unclear about so much, that I have to read the actual text of the proposed laws to figure out what it's all about.

I doubt there are many who go through that much trouble to understand what it is they're voting for.

That's what I find is the sad thing: People are too easily influenced by what others tell them to think, and don't take the time to check on the facts. It's especially sad in this day and age where information is so easily accessible... :toofar:

EDIT
    Oh, I forgot to add that I don't think the difference between Bush supporters and Kerry supporters is that one side knows the truth and the other side doesn't, I think it's that each side has chosen to believe what their side's pundits say.

[ October 22, 2004, 19:04: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ugh, those numbers should be embarrassing for Bush supporters. Have they been watching fox news for the last 4 years?

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    How about another "R" -- reporting?

You just can't make stuff this funny up.

... the more you watch the Rupert Murdoch-owned Fox News channel, in particular, the more likely it is that your perceptions about the war are wrong. Nothing a news organisation would or should be proud of - a propagandist, however, might see it as a success.

Murdoch has prescribed his news network to ignore news bad for Bush and to make the president look good. That's what FOX does and sadly they are immensely successful with it.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, this is even better:

"Told that Fox News broadcast the report, Bunning said, "Not the times I watched it. ..."

I'm really at a loss for words here...

6. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

The stupid will inherit the earth...and destroy it.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

:eek: I am lost for wordsafter reading those. Well, what can one say? Bush isn't the best leader one can hope for, and at best, Dubya in charge of the most powerful country in the world for the next four years can be described as...creepy.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.